Welcome to the 2014-15 Cycle

Poli92

Does anyone think there's any hope for any remaining Northwestern admits/wait lists ? So far I've only seen one rejection, but am trying not to remain too optimistic .. My page still says a decision has not been rendered

Does anyone think there's any hope for any remaining Northwestern admits/wait lists ? So far I've only seen one rejection, but am trying not to remain too optimistic .. My page still says a decision has not been rendered

same -- haven't received anything from them.

same -- haven't received anything from them.

Going by last year's data: handful of acceptances in the first & second week of February. Rejections rolled out from end of February to middle of March. Some applicants received nothing more than a status change on ApplyYourself (not even an email).

I would put our chances at slim over the next week or so.

Anybody here apply to Chicago's Committee on Social Thought? Any idea when acceptances might go out? I know some Political Science decisions have already been communicated.

I am right here with you. But according to last year the earliest decision came at around Feb. 16th.

And I put my most limited hope in it---don't think I am qualified for it.

I haven't heard from NYU yet -- does this indicate rejection?  Does anyone know if they send out acceptances in bursts?

That is my question as well... I was freaking out so I dropped a message to DGS. He told me yesterday that they are finalizing process, but after today's acceptances I dropped another letter to confirm whether all acceptances were mailed or there is still hope. For me, after two rejections from two good programs acceptance to NYU will be fantastic...

That is my question as well... I was freaking out so I dropped a message to DGS. He told me yesterday that they are finalizing process, but after today's acceptances I dropped another letter to confirm whether all acceptances were mailed or there is still hope. For me, after two rejections from two good programs acceptance to NYU will be fantastic...

Keep me posted if you get a reply, Evgeny.  I am in the same boat -- two rejections from good schools, and doubting myself more than ever.  Numbers wise, NYU was my best bet so this will be a big morale blow if it is as I fear...

I certainly know it is tough to receive three rejections in row. But you got eight more to come and you just need one yes. Also you got all these guys, yeah like me, who haven't received any acceptances with you. I am even thinking about what to do if I just got all twenty rejections.

I am in NYU's master program right now, and I know the PhD program in this department is highly competitive. But good things will come.

I certainly know it is tough to receive three rejections in row. But you got eight more to come and you just need one yes. Also you got all these guys, yeah like me, who haven't received any acceptances with you. I am even thinking about what to do if I just got all twenty rejections.

I am in NYU's master program right now, and I know the PhD program in this department is highly competitive. But good things will come.

Yup! I already have 3 rejections.. And I think implicit rejections from U Chicago and Northwestern, and likely NYU now too. So I guess 4 to go? Feeling like this isn't going to end well for me :-/ Trying to remain optimistic, but also realistic

Yup! I already have 3 rejections.. And I think implicit rejections from U Chicago and Northwestern, and likely NYU now too. So I guess 4 to go? Feeling like this isn't going to end well for me :-/ Trying to remain optimistic, but also realistic

I totally feel you. Same boat as you. Things are looking more bleak than they did before. Of course, I better turn to the taciturn side, as I do not want to dampen the mood here. Well, best of luck to you. 

I think I received the first rejection  on the 7th of January and had to wait almost a month before hearing any good news. It gets pretty dispiriting checking this place every minute of the day as other people appear to receive good news. Fingers crossed that you both hear something positive soon.

Edited by AuldReekie

Having been through this process two years ago -- I encourage all of you to hold off on this talk of "implicit rejections."  Nothing is final until you hear from the school.  

Some schools (including the department I attend now) will release offers in waves.  Even if the bulk of offers have gone out, it's very possible that you're really on more of an implicit wait list.  I was rejected from 2 schools many weeks after the rest of the rejections went out.

For many of you, the next month is going to be one of the most emotionally taxing times of your lives and a lot of your friends and family have no way to understand what you're going through.   I know this is easier said than done, but do what you can to take a deep breath and relax.  If you can, try to find some way to distract yourself.  

When I was going through this 2 years ago, there was a frequent user on here who had been rejected by every school that she applied to during the prior cycle, and she ended up at a top 5 program after re-applying the next year.  If you don't make it this time, it's not the end of the road.  That being said, I know exactly what it feels like to be in your place.  Just hang in there a few more weeks.  Best of luck to all of you.

Edited by Quigley

Having been through this process two years ago -- I encourage all of you to hold off on this talk of "implicit rejections."  Nothing is final until you hear from the school.  

Some schools (including the department I attend now) will release offers in waves.  Even if the bulk of offers have gone out, it's very possible that you're really on more of an implicit wait list.  I was rejected from 2 schools many weeks after the rest of the rejections went out.

For many of you, the next month is going to be one of the most emotionally taxing times of your lives and a lot of your friends and family have no way to understand what you're going through.   I know this is easier said than done, but do what you can to take a deep breath and relax.  If you can, try to find some way to distract yourself.  

When I was going through this 2 years ago, there was a frequent user on here who had been rejected by every school that she applied to during the prior cycle, and she ended up at a top 5 program after re-applying the next year.  If you don't make it this time, it's not the end of the road.  That being said, I know exactly what it feels like to be in your place.  Just hang in there a few more weeks.  Best of luck to all of you.

This helps a lot.  Thanks Quigley.

Thank you so much.