Welcome to the 2014-15 Cycle

Poli92

The terrible thing is if a department does not make a decision on the same day they historically have done so, we will all think we were rejected.

I have too much faith in the people of this forum/reporting on the results page to believe that not a single one who got accepted would post somewhere on this site. I might be a bit too optimistic, but nothing appears to have slipped by thus far.

I have too much faith in the people of this forum/reporting on the results page to believe that not a single one who got accepted would post somewhere on this site. I might be a bit too optimistic, but nothing appears to have slipped by thus far.

People typically post their results at the results' page. Previous year people posted there a lot, both rejections and acceptances. 

I received an email from UC-Merced today that I was recommended for admission to the Graduate School....I am hesitant to celebrate, but, as this is the first positive news I've received thus far, I am (immensely) relieved that not every ad com is immediately throwing me into the reject pile.

:)

I'd say it's probably safe to celebrate :)

EDIT: Typical.. just as I'm about to go to bed a Vanderbilt interview pops up on the results page.. :mellow:

Wonder if it was a blast to all those who they plan on interviewing? Maybe. as a second has now popped up.

Edited by AuldReekie

Congrats Bubandis!! Great news, and it must be a huge relief!

I'd say it's probably safe to celebrate :)

EDIT: Typical.. just as I'm about to go to bed a Vanderbilt interview pops up on the results page.. :mellow:

Wonder if it was a blast to all those who they plan on interviewing? Maybe. as a second has now popped up.

Thanks, guys! It is a huge relief!!

Also, AuldReekie, keep your chin up, mate! I was down in the dumps after I discovered Stony Brook (a top school in my field) didn't interview me, but am very happy now.

Congrats!!  :lol:

I'm a little concerned because I haven't received anything about my acceptance to MSU aside from it being on my portal (with a .pdf of my decision letter on it). Is it weird that I haven't been e-mailed or given any information about my acceptance yet?

I don't know if I should be concerned about not receiving a Vandy email requesting interview. I worked with the dept this past summer and I have pretty good rapport with the dept. They know me well enough to not need to request an interview, but who knows. 

I received an email from UC-Merced today that I was recommended for admission to the Graduate School....I am hesitant to celebrate, but, as this is the first positive news I've received thus far, I am (immensely) relieved that not every ad com is immediately throwing me into the reject pile.

CONGRATS!! Sorry for the Caps, but I just feel very thrilled for you!! 

As for me, Wisconsin-Madison's status page still has my application as pending, despite the fact that they had it since the 22nd of last month. I feel it is safe to conclude that I have been rejected, given the many admission offers posted, as well as the tendency to inform an applicant of the rejection a few days later. Same story is holding true for MSU. 

Oh well, part of the process. You lose some, and hopefully, you win some. 

Edited by Facade19

Has anyone else who's been recommended by Wisconsin gotten multiple emails from the department? It's very flattering, but slightly odd to me that I have.

Also, when would you advise letting/when are you going to let recommenders know about results? As they come in, or in batches?

Edited by Duvergerian

Has anyone else who's been recommended by Wisconsin gotten multiple emails from the department? It's very flattering, but slightly odd to me that I have.

Also, when would you advise letting/when are you going to let recommenders know about results? As they come in, or in batches?

Also interested in others thoughts on this.

I received my e-mail and a letter in the mail. There will be funding package e-mails sent out in a couple of weeks (although everyone is fully-funded in the program).  

I sent an e-mail telling my letter writers that I was accepted into a program I would attend.  I thanked them for their assistance and informed them that I have another dozen or so places to hear from, at which point if I have the privilege of choosing between multiple programs I might ask them for their insight into different programs I would choose from.  I actually received a response from one of my letter writers telling me that several POIs had contacted him regarding my application and that this was the case for the program I was accepted into - therefore the application is at least under consideration.  So, perhaps a faculty member might offer insight. FYI, I wouldn't contact them until you've been accepted somewhere or unit you've been rejected from almost everywhere and the remaining universities are places where you have a shot (albeit at that point letter-writer phone call or email to POIs would be too late perhaps)

Looking at your list of schools, I see we're applying to a lot of the same places for political psychology.

Anyway, I really like the program at Merced, even though this is only their third cohort of PhD students. I think they'll end up training and placing their students well since it is a small program with a lot of resources and juniors/young associates still making a name for themselves. For your choice set, I'd only rank it behind Stony Brook, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Texas, and maybe Nebraska (if you're doing the genetics and politics research that Hibbing is doing).

Days differ from year to year, as far as I noticed. Stanford mailed decisions in the second half of February previous year, but this year they explicitly promissed to mail decisions in the end of January or in the beginning of February. Waiting, however, is definitely annoying.

Did they? When? Where?

Looking at your list of schools, I see we're applying to a lot of the same places for political psychology.

Anyway, I really like the program at Merced, even though this is only their third cohort of PhD students. I think they'll end up training and placing their students well since it is a small program with a lot of resources and juniors/young associates still making a name for themselves. For your choice set, I'd only rank it behind Stony Brook, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Texas, and maybe Nebraska (if you're doing the genetics and politics research that Hibbing is doing).

I have the same feelings about Merced; very fresh and ambitious vibes from them. I'd also agree on your ranking of the programs foe the most part, though id say that Virginia might also be a little stronger as well.

received a very nice acceptance letter from Colorado Boulder this morning!

Congrats!  I'm crossing my fingers on Boulder; telling myself that maybe they haven't gotten to mine yet because my name is at the bottom of the list ;~}.

Edited by fakeusername

Yeah, I've gotten four emails from UWMadison faculty thus far. Again, flattering, but a little strange (though they have hammered home some of the reasons it would be a good fit for me, above and beyond things I already knew, which is nice).

As to when to tell you letter of Rec writers, I've just been doing it on an informal basis this far, whenever I run into them, giving them the update. Maybe I'm a bad example, because I go to a small LAC - I have an independent study with one of my recommenders this semester, and I work as a lab assistant for another. I'm planning on doing a formal thank you card/small gift when I've actually selected the school.

Big school perspective: I let two of my letter writers know the day I got my first acceptance letter because I have a closer relationship with them than the third writer. They were thrilled so my plan going forward is to keep that up (if I'm accepted anywhere else) then give all three a small gift when I tell them my final decision.

Did they? When? Where?

At the decision page of this forum first acceptances were published at 20 of February. Those who were accepted also noted that acceptances were made by phone, not mail. This year, I think (and hope) they will do it either this week or next week. Preferably this week:) 

Did they? When? Where?

My applyweb checklist for Standford had a note that included

"We expect to notify applicants of the committee's decision no later than early February 2015."

It was elsewhere as well, but I can't find it now