Welcome to the 2014-15 Cycle

Poli92

I haven't committed anywhere, but I've become sure I wouldn't choose Illinois over Pittsburgh.

I assume that you meant that you "wouldn't choose Pittsburgh over Illinois." :)

Cool that you are beginning to narrow your decision! 

First-time poster here. I'll be studying American politics and methodology. Got wait listed at Harvard today, which was the last school I had to hear back from.

For those of you on other wait lists, I recently declined Yale, MIT, and NYU, so hopefully some of you get accepted!

Congratulations to so many offers from great universities, you must have an awesome application. I'm curious though, why did you decline Yale already? It's a top 5 program and I guess (correct me if I'm wrong) you did not even visit their campus yet. Does it have anything to do with things you read about the program from other people? (like here or ) Or did you have different reasons?

Congratulations to so many offers from great universities, you must have an awesome application. I'm curious though, why did you decline Yale already? It's a top 5 program and I guess (correct me if I'm wrong) you did not even visit their campus yet. Does it have anything to do with things you read about the program from other people? (like here or ) Or did you have different reasons?

Thanks for the compliment. I declined Yale because of the instability there, as noted in the second link you posted and which I've also heard from my undergraduate professors (some of whom are close with/actively work with faculty at Yale). Given my other options -- Stanford, Princeton, Columbia, Berkeley (fingers crossed for Harvard) -- I couldn't see myself going to Yale, so I figured I'd let them know so they could make wait list decisions.

Anyone wanting to get a closer look into the admissions process, there is a really cool thread recently started and pinned over on the sociology board. A grad student who was a member of their admissions committee is answering questions on the process....I bet that poli Sci admissions committees function in pretty similar fashion.

Did you ask Harvard for confirmation or have they already posted it to your application page?

I applied to the Political Economy and Govt program... no rejection posted on the website for me, but I know some web rejections have been posted (for both PEG and Government)... maybe there is hope after all?

All applications were reviewed.  The admissions committee chose the candidates to whom they wanted to offer admission.  I am sorry that you are not one of those candidates.

Best wishes for your future endeavors.

Received this response after having contacted an unnamed gradschool admin. Since when is it acceptable to answer professional mails using ComicSans font in pink?

Has anybody been e-mailed a rejection from Harvard yet?  On the results page it looks like everyone who's heard contacted the department on their own... I am trying to decide if I should suck it up and e-mail them, or just wait...

I applied to the Political Economy and Govt program... no rejection posted on the website for me, but I know some web rejections have been posted (for both PEG and Government)... maybe there is hope after all?

Does this mean Harvard isn't sending out all their decisions at once?  I also still have no decision on the website--I assumed they sent out all the acceptances at the same time, but maybe not?

To the poster on the index who mentioned calling UMD, I also have "Under Departmental Review" on my application. Just checked. Not sure what's going on...

Yeah same here. It's probably a rejection. The entries on the results page tell us that acceptances were sent out on Friday

To anybody still waiting for Harvard, I e-mailed Thom and he said all the acceptances went out on Monday--if we didn't hear on Monday, we were rejected.  Oh, well.

This is basically a question for anyone: my application status for UMD changed from Under Departmental Review to Under Graduate School Review. Is this a positive sign, since doesn't the department send it off to the graduate school to make sure all the i's are dotted and the T's are crossed? Or am I reading too much into this? 

This is basically a question for anyone: my application status for UMD changed from Under Departmental Review to Under Graduate School Review. Is this a positive sign, since doesn't the department send it off to the graduate school to make sure all the i's are dotted and the T's are crossed? Or am I reading too much into this? 

Same here dude. Really curious if that happened to everyone who got rejected or what

Dumb question: What do people wear to Recruitment days? I know that's such a silly thing, but is it business casual? Business? Casual?

I'm currently in a profession that is at minimum business casual, and often full business - even for random lunches. So, I've forgotten what it's like to be normal.

Dumb question: What do people wear to Recruitment days? I know that's such a silly thing, but is it business casual? Business? Casual?

I'm currently in a profession that is at minimum business casual, and often full business - even for random lunches. So, I've forgotten what it's like to be normal.

I'd like to know as well, except I'm usually dressed the opposite (athletic gear and the like). 

I'm thinking button down and chinos/khakis.  Maybe a blazer if there are any fancy events (receptions, dinner with professor, etc).