Welcome to the 2014-15 Cycle

Poli92

I'm thinking button down and chinos/khakis.  Maybe a blazer if there are any fancy events (receptions, dinner with professor, etc).

That was kind of what my gut told me. I just would hate to be "that guy" if everyone else is in t-shirts and jeans. Of course, maybe I am "that guy" and just need to own it. 

At both that I have been to thus far, dark denim jeans, loafers, and a polo definitely suffice.

So, casual, but within reason. One of the programs I went to referred to it as "smart casual," if you are familiar with that term.

And for women, dark jeans or a skirt, nice top, and a blazer is probably fine.  Good walking boots if it's snowy!  I had packed dress pants and realized that the only snow shoes I had were bean boots in a totally non-coordinating color.  Oops.  Also, there's often a student party that I assume is more casual.

Edited by NMLogan

Dumb question: What do people wear to Recruitment days? I know that's such a silly thing, but is it business casual? Business? Casual?

I'm currently in a profession that is at minimum business casual, and often full business - even for random lunches. So, I've forgotten what it's like to be normal.

Went to my first one. Business casual most likely, even then you might be over dressed but that is not the worst thing. A suit/blazer would stand out. 

Ohio State funding letters are out.

On the plus side, this year's applicants to the University's fellowship competition did very well. There are some really good offers going out.

On the minus side, there's some unusual mid-year budgetary adjustment going on that has forced me to be more cautious than I'd like. As a result, we have an unusually long wait list this year. I didn't accept anyone that we weren't willing to fund, but I'm going to have to be more careful than I'd hoped to ensure that we end up with a reasonable class size. So, as you've been hearing from others, if you're certain that you're going to accept or decline, an early decision would help people on the wait list.

This is actually really good to know because I was about show up in jeans and a t-shirt...

I accidentally left all of my clothing at home (more specifically, I forgot to take my suitcase out of my car, and realized this while on the shuttle to the airport) for my UT-A visit, and basically had jeans and a sweater over a t-shirt. It was fine-I was probably one of the more casually dressed, but not so much so that I think anyone noticed. 

I am going to wear a t-shirt, flip flops, shorts and a cap. It will be like around 90 degrees in So Cal by then. That also leave a lasting impression.

I accidentally left all of my clothing at home (more specifically, I forgot to take my suitcase out of my car, and realized this while on the shuttle to the airport) for my UT-A visit, and basically had jeans and a sweater over a t-shirt. It was fine-I was probably one of the more casually dressed, but not so much so that I think anyone noticed. 

I'm just happy when academics remember to wear pants.

Well, update on my situation. Boston College and Chicago did not offer me admission to their PhD Program, but both offered me admission to their Masters Program (Chicago the MAPSS). Both provided the same reasons for rejection of PhD admission, and admission to their Masters Programs. 

Chicago offered me a scholarship to cover 1/3 of the tuition cost. I am still waiting on UCSD's financial package. I know for certain that I am not taking Boston College's offer. Hope that will help anyone waiting on admission to that masters program.

I am still waiting on WashU, Georgetown and Harvard (though I have pretty much accepted rejection). 

Heard from them at all recently?

No. I have a friend in the program who said that they will be releasing decisions, most likely, in the next two weeks. But with all of the snow, I'm not holding my breath on that timetable. Other people have said that the decisions are rolling until 4/15, and the last time I was in contact with the department (about 1 month ago) that was the news I got as well. So, here's to hoping!

Also on the UVa boat. Hate to be a misery guts, but it's either a long wait list (with us all on it) or they just have a particular long/cruel/silly admissions process.

I'm just happy when academics remember to wear pants.

I never get over how much more disturbing things like this are when you read it in British English..

That's what it sounds like. Grumble grumble -cracks a beer-

Between you, Auldreekie, and I, (at least) one of us will be admitted to UVA.

In other news, Colorado-Boulder finally officially notified me that I am on their wait list, haha.

Between you, Auldreekie, and I, (at least) one of us will be admitted to UVA.

In other news, Colorado-Boulder finally officially notified me that I am on their wait list, haha.

There's a very good chance I'm turning down my acceptance, fyi. I went to their recruitment weekend and they have a very good program that seems to be far above what their ranking represents.

Anyone applying for the MRes/PhD at LSE who have heard back?

(Or Oxford or Cambridge for that matter!)

Yes,

Emailed an acceptance from the LSE this morning. Frankly, I have no idea how to weight it against the US schools. I did my master's there, and I love it, but not sure how it stacks up against a US program.

Yes,

Emailed an acceptance from the LSE this morning. Frankly, I have no idea how to weight it against the US schools. I did my master's there, and I love it, but not sure how it stacks up against a US program.

I guess the first question is funding?