Welcome to the 2014-15 Cycle

Poli92

I guess the first question is funding?

I was told during the process that they fully fund everyone (I think they are the only UK school to do so), but no mention of that in my letter....so who knows??? 

I was told during the process that they fully fund everyone (I think they are the only UK school to do so), but no mention of that in my letter....so who knows??? 

I looked briefly in the summer and think there was reference to 'a number' of £18000 MRes/PhD scholarships being available, but was under the impression that nothing was guaranteed. Still hopefully they come through for you!

I'm biased though. I live here and decided not to apply to any UK PhD programs  :ph34r:

Indeed, since 2012/2013 they fund everyone, the only in UK to do it.

Yes,

Emailed an acceptance from the LSE this morning. Frankly, I have no idea how to weight it against the US schools. I did my master's there, and I love it, but not sure how it stacks up against a US program.

Congrats! I received a weird email from them on Friday saying there has been a delay in processing the application by the Graduate Admissions Division. Called and they said a decision has been made but that the admin team haven't had a chance to process the decision so couldn't tell me! Don't know what to make of it all.

I looked briefly in the summer and think there was reference to 'a number' of £18000 MRes/PhD scholarships being available, but was under the impression that nothing was guaranteed. Still hopefully they come through for you!

I'm biased though. I live here and decided not to apply to any UK PhD programs  :ph34r:

Indeed, since 2012/2013 they fund everyone, the only in UK to do it.

They fund most but not all. I know a bunch of people who didn't get any funding.

I've been staying away from this board for a while, for my nerves.  Anyway, congrats to all the admits, hope everyone is doing well!

If there are any Michigan admits out there (Methods sub-field), who are planning to turn down the offer...please please please do so soon!

I am on the wait-list at my dream school and am pumping out positive energy, hoping for something back.

Just received an e-mail from Pittsburgh but I still can't figure out what it means. It said the department is not able to recommend me for admission, but they may eventually contact me before mid April to see if I am still available (?).

Not sure if it's a waitlist or an extremely polite rejection.

Just received an e-mail from Pittsburgh but I still can't figure out what it means. It said the department is not able to recommend me for admission, but they may eventually contact me before mid April to see if I am still available (?).

Not sure if it's a waitlist or an extremely polite rejection.

Sounds like a wait-list, but maybe not a particularly promising one...?

Hello all!

Long time lurker here--OSU Political Science PhD (IR) admit. I have the unfortunate role of being placed on the funding waitlist. I'm wondering if any admits are going to decline?

My stress level went from incredibly high before being admitted to practically non-existent to sky high once again. Please let me know!

"I deeply appreciate the offer of admission to X University, but I will unfortunately have to decline the offer. Thank you for your time, etc etc."

That's what I'd do.

Pretty much exactly what I have done. If you have developed any support of rapport with any professors at the school you are declining, I would send them a little personal note too, thanking them for your help and expressing regret that you won't be working with them

Does anyone in this forum happen to be familiar or know someone familiar with either the Georgetown MA in American Gov't or the GWU MPS in Legislative Affairs? I'm accepted to both. I'm trying to figure out which would be better for me. It's hard to find anything about either program other than their websites.

EDIT: moving to the advice forum.

Edited by JohnJ88

Oh joy. A bill looks likely to pass the Texas senate to allow concealed carry on campus. This thread isn't for political issues, but it's hard not to let this unnerve me slightly.

I accept it's my problem and if I didn't want to live in a gun filled society I should have stayed in Britain!

Sounds like a wait-list, but maybe not a particularly promising one...?

Pittsburgh has given some rejections (including mine) so I think you are in a better position than the ones who have already gotten a rejection. I assume that they will contact you if the people who got accepted will turn down the offer they received.

Hey man.

Having gone through this application process before, let me tell you that there is nothing more frustrating for people who are truly trying to make decisions about which school to attend than seeing people begging for others to give up their opportunity so that you can have what you want.  Looking at your offer, you have a great situation already and it just seems sad that you would be so openly dissatisfied with your good fortune that you would be willing to make someone else rush their decision to make your life easier.  As someone in the same field and with the same substantive interests, just chill out and let things come as they will because the utter desperation in your posts makes me very certain that I wouldn't want to work with you at all.

Chill out and take a break from this website. 

This is unnecessarily harsh and condescending. Darth has a case of the nerves about this offer, understandably so since it's his dream school. If fellow applicants aren't allowed to express their hopes/dreams/fears/etc. with each other on this anonymous message board, then what the hell good is it?

I also think you're reading too much into Darth's posts to assume he's dissatisfied with his offer in hand. 

If anything, I wouldn't want to work with someone who is openly judgmental of others because they expressed feelings that do not harm anyone else.

...the beer flows like R code...

This made my entire day. R is my favorite thing to hate. And beer is just my favorite thing while I sit and twiddle my thumbs over UVA and their long as hell decision process. Also, don't let the internet trollolols get you down! :)