Welcome to the 2014-15 Cycle

Poli92

Generally some Yale acceptances find out by informal email from their prospective PIs. Others dont find out until the university roll out a form email. Anyhoo - congrats to everyone who got in. Let me know if you have any questions about Bulldog life.

Well, I guess we will find out decisions on Friday. I start thinking that I misfired in my SOP. This is the only explanation that I have so far. I have decent GREs, not stellar, but 160+ in both sections, good (hopefully) LORs and couple relevant academic awards. So, if Yale sends rejection, it is misfire in SOP, for sure. Among all schools, Yale is actually the best research fit. 

Didn't (can't remember clearly) you also say your were currently in a Ph.D. program already? Could be a potential deal-breaker. 

Yes. My situation is by no means grim, I am in a good position. But the reality of academic job market is tough. It is incredibly hard to find a job in top-20 research universities if you did not graduate from top-10 programs. There are, of cource, people who beat the odds but it is always better if you have odds in your favor ex ante. You may have, say, 2 publications and still loose the job to the Ivy League Ph.D. who does not have any papers published. Given the fact that I really want to be in academia and to get tenure track in one of top-20 research universities, I decided to make a shot. But if nothing works out, I will continue on my current track and hopefully will be able to make competitive profile by the end of the program. There is almost always more than one way to get what you want, certain ways just much harder than others:)

Congrats to everyone who just heard about getting into Yale!

Here's hoping UPenn just hasn't gotten around to sending out all their admits, and that I might still get one tomorrow (probably silly to hope for). Based on the results page, looks like people might be hearing from Syracuse tomorrow too!

Edited by BillyBillyBilly

All offers have been sent and all applicants who have been placed on waitlists have also been informed.

SM

I asked the Chicago DGS about my application status, that´s what I got as a response. I guess everyone who hasn´t heard from them can consider him/herself as rejected. 

Does anyone know when we can expect Harvard decisions? YSP already said no, but one can still hope...

I would wager the tail end of next week or the first week of March. Harvard's committee meets really late (within the past week or so), and the department is pretty busy with some faculty decisions too.

Edited by Doorkeeper

UCLA is about the only top program I can think of that doesn't offer funding to all admitted students.

Yeah, I applied to a pretty wide range of schools when it comes to ranking from about ~5 all the way to ~40, but tried to avoid those where funding was too low or ridiculously scarce.

I am guessing this is an implicit rejection? Stil haven't heard.

It's as real as it gets. Got an email from DGS: outstanding application, can't admit all outstanding apps, credentials will take you far, good luck on academic endeavors, yada yada yada. 

Yale guarantees full funding for all admits for 6 years. First department in the country to guarantee it outright. Feel free to PM me with more questions about the department if you have them. Congratulations!