Welcome to the 2014-15 Cycle

Poli92

I'm a PT applicant. Just declined my offer at Northwestern. Hope this helps. 

Thank you for the info. I am CP/IR, so I guess you declining does not help me very much :(

When/how did you find out you were waitlisted at Northwestern? I'm asking because I think I am on an informal waitlist there, and the only waitlist result reported was two weeks ago.

I got a mail by the chair of the admissions committee about 1.5 weeks ago,  saying that i've been placed on the alternate list.

According to the Yale DGS site, they neither make offers over the phone nor will contact you about decisions by phone. I am expecting next week, contrary to the posts on here. However, I am happy to put my foot in my mouth if I'm wrong.

Btw, is it common for a department to offset funding by any external funding you receive? I noticed at Duke that if you receive $X, your fellowshop/stipend is offset by $X, r sultan in a net gain of $0.

That seems to be pretty common, although it might provide you some leeway to negotiate (I did this). 

And I hope it won't happen in the future either. I particularly wish its neighbor (cough cough Pitt) did not make this mistake.. It would break my heart.

Hi everyone! I'm also new here. I'm an international applicant. So far, I've been admitted at UW-Seattle and rejected at Princeton. I'm still waiting to hear from Harvard, Yale, MIT and Cornell.

For those of you who got a phone call from professors at MIT, did you get the admission packages as expected on Tuesday? If we haven't heard anything should we assume it's a rejection at this point?

Thanks a lot  :)

To clarify, current students were informed by the Yale DGS that the dept expects to be allowed to release decisions tomorrow (Tuesday). Typically they have faculty POI's send a welcome note or call, though (or even current students in instances where a grad student knows the applicant, which is common), so this isn't to say that everyone will hear tomorrow. Some faculty are traveling, on sabbatical, etc., which means it could take a few days. But I expect folks will start hearing tomorrow.

Why hast thou deceived me so?

Come again? I haven't deceived you. I was extremely clear in both the above and a follow-up post that I was not guaranteeing decisions would be released Tuesday, but that the department "expected to be allowed to release decisions on Tuesday." I further stated that this often takes a few days due to faculty travel or administrative hold-ups. Just because you haven't heard doesn't mean that other's haven't.

Reading carefully (and not lambasting those trying to help you) will serve you well in grad school, at Yale or otherwise. Then again, I should have known better than to post on here in the first place! It's "let no good deed go unpunished" territory this time of year!

Deuces and good luck to you all. 

Edited by lurker15

Hi everyone! I'm also new here. I'm an international applicant. So far, I've been admitted at UW-Seattle and rejected at Princeton. I'm still waiting to hear from Harvard, Yale, MIT and Cornell.

For those of you who got a phone call from professors at MIT, did you get the admission packages as expected on Tuesday? If we haven't heard anything should we assume it's a rejection at this point?

Thanks a lot  :) 

In the same boat re:MIT, I was wondering whether to email the graduate administrator at MIT and ask. I don't want to add to their load unnecessarily though. 

Come again? I haven't deceived you. I was extremely clear in both the above and a follow-up post that I was not guaranteeing decisions would be released Tuesday, but that the department "expected to be allowed to release decisions on Tuesday." I further stated that this often takes a few days due to faculty travel or administrative hold-ups. Just because you haven't heard doesn't mean that other's haven't.

Reading carefully (and not lambasting those trying to help you) will serve you well in grad school, at Yale or otherwise.

Haha. Calm down dude (or dudette), I was playing around to pass the time!  As I was on the last page, I remain thankful for the information, and my pitchfork remains securely sealed in my cabinet.

(I was hoping the over the top biblical quote would've been a tip-off as to my connotation)

Edited by Doorkeeper

It appears there was a Stony Brook decision, and I still have heard nothing *crickets*

In an update to this: Checked their portal, and was rejected. Expected, but couldn't send out an email? Stay classy Stony Brook. 

Edited by DubbyTee

I've heard nothing from Chicago...should I be concerned?  I don't want to assume rejection (I am a firm believer in hope) but what are we thinking, gang?

You should call. Chicago is infamous for never sending rejection notices. Unfortunately, that's the M.O. for some schools. A friend of mine jokes that he still hasn't received his rejection from their law school, and that was nearly a decade ago.

It is also possible you are on a waitlist. Please don't take this as me stating you are absolutely rejected.

You are probably rejected from the PhD and being considered for a scholarship for their MA.

Oh yeah, I forget they do that.  That's such a horrible consolation prize: "Hey, we don't think you're good enough to be funded as a TA or RA, but if ya want...you can pay us, and we'll ignore you for a couple of years."

I don't trust any thing on here anymore.

Anyone else decided where they will go already thst applied to multiple programs? I'm waiting out Princeton because it's my dream program, but otherwise helllooo Durham.

Durham's a great place!

The only one I've yet to here from that I would actually consider is Harvard, but I'm not optimistic. And I'd rather be in Atlanta than Boston.

I don't trust any thing on here anymore.

Anyone else decided where they will go already thst applied to multiple programs? I'm waiting out Princeton because it's my dream program, but otherwise helllooo Durham.

Barring an acceptance into Harvard, I'm considering either NYC or Palo Alto. Hard to beat the sunshine in California though...