Welcome to the 2014-15 Cycle

Poli92

Dear George Mason, 

Please don't send emails from the School of Policy, Government, and International Affairs with the subject "A Message From the Dean" when all it is is a PROMOTIONAL EMAIL. Not at this point in the game. Not with so many of us waiting for your emails.  

Was just told I'm on the waitlist (one of three) for Duke theory.

I don't ask you for much, but if you're a. accepted to Duke and b. not planning to attend, could you please decline your offer sooner rather than later? Like, you people accepted at MIT/Stanford/Michigan/Columbia? Pretty please? 

Just for good measure . . .

f3b77a25051a2a5d092bcdcd1fdce5dfe90f3407

Edited by SwitchInTime

Was just told I'm on the waitlist (one of three) for Duke theory.

I don't ask you for much, but if you're a. accepted to Duke and b. not planning to attend, could you please decline your offer sooner rather than later? Like, you people accepted at MIT/Stanford/Michigan/Columbia? Pretty please? 

Just for good measure . . .

f3b77a25051a2a5d092bcdcd1fdce5dfe90f3407

So How did they inform you that you are wait listed?

Today seems uncharacteristically quiet. Too quiet.

I hope the poster on the previous page was right that Yale will release tomorrow.

It has been quiet. But the east coast is basically shutting down from weather so I'm sure that's a major factor.

To clarify, current students were informed by the Yale DGS that the dept expects to be allowed to release decisions tomorrow (Tuesday). Typically they have faculty POI's send a welcome note or call, though (or even current students in instances where a grad student knows the applicant, which is common), so this isn't to say that everyone will hear tomorrow. Some faculty are traveling, on sabbatical, etc., which means it could take a few days. But I expect folks will start hearing tomorrow.

Fwiw we have not been shut down by the storm; Harvard and MIT seem to be more impacted this winter.

To clarify, current students were informed by the Yale DGS that the dept expects to be allowed to release decisions tomorrow (Tuesday). Typically they have faculty POI's send a welcome note or call, though (or even current students in instances where a grad student knows the applicant, which is common), so this isn't to say that everyone will hear tomorrow. Some faculty are traveling, on sabbatical, etc., which means it could take a few days. But I expect folks will start hearing tomorrow.

Fwiw we have not been shut down by the storm; Harvard and MIT seem to be more impacted this winter.

So, at this point, would begging be appropriate? 

Having done some research, it appears that those who have not received word from UCLA as of now are on a waitlist and should expect to hear a result around April 15. It also appears that UCLA will not verbally confirm that individuals are waitlisted.

I understand not emailing everyone they are waitlisted, but if am applicant calls or emails with that specific question, it seems unprofessional to lie. I am strongly considering withdrawing my application due to their obscufation and discouraging several future applicants from applying under the assumption that external facing behavior is an upper bound on internal facing behavior of administrative staff. I have read through several other boards and this appears to be a routine failure of UCLA.

Thank you for your clarification, and for your information. I really appreciate that you are helping us out here with this info. It makes the stress much more bearable knowing that there is a specific date at which it might end in regards to specific programs.

Having done some research, it appears that those who have not received word from UCLA as of now are on a waitlist and should expect to hear a result around April 15. It also appears that UCLA will not verbally confirm that individuals are waitlisted.

I understand not emailing everyone they are waitlisted, but if am applicant calls or emails with that specific question, it seems unprofessional to lie. I am strongly considering withdrawing my application due to their obscufation and discouraging several future applicants from applying under the assumption that external facing behavior is an upper bound on internal facing behavior of administrative staff. I have read through several other boards and this appears to be a routine failure of UCLA.

This policy of not notifying applicants that they are on some sort of informal waitlist occurs in multiple different departments at UCLA, which makes me think that they might have some sort of university-wide policy in place regarding their waitlists.

Hi!

I am am an international applicant new to this threat. So far I got rejected at Stanford, NYU, Columbia and UCSD, and waitlisted at Northwestern. 

I wrote the department asking about my chances to get in/ranking on the waitlist, but  no response so far. Did anyone else get waitlisted at NW, or got accepted and is likely to end up going somewhere else? 

Also applied at Yale and MIT, I heard that decisions are coming this week :)

Hi!

I am am an international applicant new to this thread. So far I got rejected at Stanford, NYU, Columbia and UCSD, and waitlisted at Northwestern. 

I wrote the department asking about my chances to get in/ranking on the waitlist, but  no response so far. Did anyone else get waitlisted at NW, or got accepted and is likely to end up going somewhere else? 

I'm a PT applicant. Just declined my offer at Northwestern. Hope this helps. 

According to the Yale DGS site, they neither make offers over the phone nor will contact you about decisions by phone. I am expecting next week, contrary to the posts on here. However, I am happy to put my foot in my mouth if I'm wrong.

Btw, is it common for a department to offset funding by any external funding you receive? I noticed at Duke that if you receive $X, your fellowshop/stipend is offset by $X, r sultan in a net gain of $0.

Please tell me an Americanist is going to reject their Michigan offer in exchange for Yale or Harvard or Cal or something...please?  It's cold in Michigan...and then sticky in the summer...

Michigan has a methods subfield, so you might not be in the Americanist pool of waitlisters.

Hi!

I am am an international applicant new to this threat. So far I got rejected at Stanford, NYU, Columbia and UCSD, and waitlisted at Northwestern. 

When/how did you find out you were waitlisted at Northwestern? I'm asking because I think I am on an informal waitlist there, and the only waitlist result reported was two weeks ago.

According to the Yale DGS site, they neither make offers over the phone nor will contact you about decisions by phone. I am expecting next week, contrary to the posts on here. However, I am happy to put my foot in my mouth if I'm wrong.

Past input on the results page show a mix of website notifications, emails from POIs, and phone calls. I wouldn't put too much stock into the method of communication.  In regards to timing, it's quite possible that people hear over various days, as the previous poster indicated. We shall see.  *twiddles thumbs anxiously*

Michigan has a methods subfield, so you might not be in the Americanist pool of waitlisters.

Very good point...huh...I wonder where they put me.  

Please tell me there is a Quantard out there who is going to reject their offer from Michigan in exchange for Yale or Harvard or Cal...