HGSE Fall 2015

workink

Worth a try to ask, but how do you think the admissions process works? Is it just the team of admissions or do the program directors sit in on who they want in their programs? 

Hi Guys! Joined the forum late.. but just applied the TIE program. Yay! Done! 

Anyone has an idea about the interview? Is there going to be a round of Skype/In-person interview? 

There are no interviews for the masters programs. Acceptances usually go out in the first week of March .

Hey guys. I also received an e-mail this morning saying that my application is complete. Good luck to everyone!

As did I! Seems like mine came a few hours after yours though. So if anyone is still waiting I wouldn't necessarily take that as a bad sign. 

have any PhD applicants heard anything? everything looks fine when I look at my portal, but I haven't gotten an email certifying that my app is complete or anything...

have any PhD applicants heard anything? everything looks fine when I look at my portal, but I haven't gotten an email certifying that my app is complete or anything...

Nope, nothing yet. According to the results page, interview requests go out at the end of the 3rd week of January (i.e. end of next week!). 

I haven't received an email either, so don't sweat it too much.

Hello all,

Yes, I received both the email saying my application was complete as well as the financial aid email and a follow up email with my access code.  I received them around 4:00 EST yesterday.  I hope that helps and good luck to everyone applying! P.S. I am a Master's applicant.

Hey everybody! Über late to this thread, so I'm going to have to play the "better late than never" card. I'm applying to the HGSE TIE program, and now battling a stomach of nerves between here and "late March." Application was sumbmitted a long time ago, so now it's just the FinAid app (which arrived late last week) and then...more waiting. Stats below...here's to hoping there is hope...

GRE Score (Revised): V 159 (81st percentile), Q 150 (40th percentile. - shameful, but I'm told this element is considered the least of the three by HGSE staff) AWA: 5.5 (98th percentile - hope this balances math and mediocre undergrad GPA)

GPA: 3.421(graduated with dual bachelors degrees, so hopefully that rigor will be considered with a lower GPA)

Work Experience: 2.5 years teaching in urban schools, spent time in China delivering professional development (Xi'an, Chongqing, and Beijing), on an Executive Board of Directors for a non-prof (serving about 200,000 students worldwide), founded a camp-based non-prof working with YMCA for students across TX, former entertainer/performer for Disney Cruise Lines and Radio Disney, currently work for the largest publishing company (as an Account Manager) in the K-12 division (I manage the accounts of about 100 TX school districts with regards to their curriculum, technology integration, intervention, PD, entitlement funding from the state and federal government, etc,).

Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Public

Research Experience: Just undergrad requirements for EdPsych, etc.

Published: Wrote curriculum used by non-profs in TX and in China

Applying for PhD or Masters: Masters, 2015.

Program: Technology, Innovation and Education.

What Other Schools Are You Applying To: Stanford, Vanderbilt, Johns Hopkins

LORs: Hope they are strong (one from a Harvard Law School grad who supervised me in non-prof work, one from director of international non-prof who appointed me to exec board of directors, and one from a school administrator I worked with)

SOP: Effective, I hope. Had a current student at HGSE read it and provide feedback.

Feel free to offer input! Good luck to all those applying!

Would the international who posted a rejection for the Human Development PhD care to elaborate? Are they already sending out rejections?

Edited by Gvh

The Phd acceptance rate is below 10%. Given that this a new program and people have been waiting to apply, the acceptance rate will likely be closer to 5% for the first few years. 

Doctoral programs, in general, accept more people than they expect to matriculate (which is typically a few extra people in more competitive program). 

If a program is aiming for a cohort size of 10, they will likely accept about 12-15. A really competitive program that wants about 24-25 people to matriculate would likely accept about 30-32. 

For the people who will get interviews in the next week or so, good luck. 

Given that this a new program and people have been waiting to apply, the acceptance rate will likely be closer to 5% for the first few years. 

Is this really the case? I feel like a new program like this would be still relatively unknown without any data as to the future of its graduates. I guess it is Harvard, which makes it competitive in itself, but I figured competitive applicants would be more likely to apply to established programs with developed reputations. 

Is this really the case? I feel like a new program like this would be still relatively unknown without any data as to the future of its graduates. I guess it is Harvard, which makes it competitive in itself, but I figured competitive applicants would be more likely to apply to established programs with developed reputations. 

The EdD program was already fairly popular. Honestly, the program is just a continuation of that program under a new name with a slightly different curriculum. It's not new in the sense that they have no track record. They've been placing people in tenure track positions through the EdD program for decades. I'm also certain that the US new ranking for their doctoral program has always been based on the EdD (always top 3). 

Edited by SheWrote

The EdD program was already fairly popular. Honestly, the program is just a continuation of that program under a new name with a slightly different curriculum. It's not new in the sense that they have no track record. They've been placing people in tenure track positions through the EdD program for decades. I'm also certain that the US new ranking for their doctoral program has always been based on the EdD (always top 3). 

Fair enough, I'm not denying it's competitive - I'm just not sure how much the "new program" aspect factors into how attractive it is to applicants. Additionally, I did my masters at HGSE and everyone I've talked to about the program seems to agree there is still a lot of disorganization and unknowns since there are quite a few departures from the EdD - including admissions. Either way, I guess there is little point in analyzing at this point! Seems like interviews should be going out in the next week or so. 

Hi guys. Late to the forum. Anyone here applied to both PhD and Masters? I have, but haven't heard anything from the institute yet (no email regarding interviews, application status or financial aid). 

Btw, somebody mentioned a "Results page" above. Can anyone share the link? 

Hi guys. Late to the forum. Anyone here applied to both PhD and Masters? I have, but haven't heard anything from the institute yet (no email regarding interviews, application status or financial aid). 

Btw, somebody mentioned a "Results page" above. Can anyone share the link? 

This is the link to the admissions results. 

Based on constantly creeping/reading past HGSE threads, my guess is that Masters applicants will hear the results on either Friday, March 6th 2015 or Monday, March 9th, 2015

...until then... fingers crossed.

Based on constantly creeping/reading past HGSE threads, my guess is that Masters applicants will hear the results on either Friday, March 6th 2015 or Monday, March 9th, 2015

...until then... fingers crossed.

What about PhD applicants? I saw a posting on the admission results that someone got rejected last week from the PhD program.  I haven't heard anything yet though.  My guess is anytime from now to mid-Feb but not sure if that was the trend last year..