HGSE Fall 2015

workink

Hi everyone!

New to gradcafe but excited to find a community just as excited and anxious as I am! I am an applicant for the Ed.M - Teacher Education Program. My focus would be secondary-level English. I'm really nervous but I'm hoping for the best! Everyone seems so qualified, it's hard not to feel a little discouraged myself. :blink:

****Question: do Ed.M applicants ever receive interview requests? As far as I can tell from the results threads, it seems like only PhD candidates receive interviews, but I figured I would ask anyway.

QUICK STATS

Race: Caucasian

GRE: V: 164 // Q: 155 // AW: 4.5 (but I don't test well and hopefully my SOP will reflect my writing abilities way more accurately!)

UNDERGRAD

small all-women's liberal arts college in MA, graduated 2014

GPA: 3.97

Majors: English Lit & Theatre Arts (double)

Honors: graduated Magna Cum Laude with High Honors; numerous college awards and honors

**I wrote my thesis about African American race performativity in contemporary American theater

National Honors: Phi Beta Kappa; Beinecke Scholarship (2013 winner)

Relevant Teaching Experience: currently a TA for undergraduate courses at public MA university; taught English and Theater courses to high school students the past 2 summers at Yale; 3 years as a writing and speaking mentor in my undergrad's writing program; 1.5 years as college orientation board member; 3 years as an animal and planetarium/educational staff member at a nature and science museum; 2.5 years as a clarinet instructor to middle school students; 2 years as the coordinator for a high school music outreach program to a MA school for deaf children. ||| Other related experience: 3 years as college English dept. liaison; 2 years as contributing writer for college newspaper; internship at local newspaper; 3 years as a presentation designer for college in Boston, MA ||| Other experience: 3 years as chair/secretary of college student theatre org; 3 years as Theatre dept. liaison; 1 year as research assistant to college prof.

Statement of Purpose: Hopefully they like it! I really enjoyed writing it. I spoke a lot about educational equity, something about which I am incredibly passionate. :wub:

Letters of Recommendation: all 3 from undergraduate professors: two from the English Dept. and one from Theatre/Gender Studies

Financial Aid?: DESPERATELY IN NEED.

Currently I am...: So this is kind of weird, but I'm actually enrolled in a 3-year MA program at a public university in MA. However, within 2 months of beginning my program, I quickly realized it was NOT the right fit for me. Thought I wanted to teach at the college level; turns out I want to work with high school students to improve their literacy, writing, and communication skills before they come to college (my time as a TA has proven how much of a problem this actually is). I also want to create theatre initiatives for students of color in low-income/underprivileged areas. So I'm applying to Ed.M/M.A.T. programs for Fall 2015! Fingers crossed...we shall see. :)

Edited by feministfrommass

Hi everyone!

New to gradcafe but excited to find a community just as excited and anxious as I am! I am an applicant for the Ed.M - Teacher Education Program. My focus would be secondary-level English. I'm really nervous but I'm hoping for the best! Everyone seems so qualified, it's hard not to feel a little discouraged myself. :blink:

****Question: do Ed.M applicants ever receive interview requests? As far as I can tell from the results threads, it seems like only PhD candidates receive interviews, but I figured I would ask anyway.

QUICK STATS

Race: Caucasian

GRE: V: 164 // Q: 155 // AW: 4.5 (but I don't test well and hopefully my SOP will reflect my writing abilities way more accurately!)

UNDERGRAD

small all-women's liberal arts college in MA, graduated 2014

GPA: 3.97

Majors: English Lit & Theatre Arts (double)

Honors: graduated Magna Cum Laude with High Honors; numerous college awards and honors

**I wrote my thesis about African American race performativity in contemporary American theater

National Honors: Phi Beta Kappa; Beinecke Scholarship (2013 winner)

Relevant Teaching Experience: currently a TA for undergraduate courses at public MA university; taught English and Theater courses to high school students the past 2 summers at Yale; 3 years as a writing and speaking mentor in my undergrad's writing program; 1.5 years as college orientation board member; 3 years as an animal and planetarium/educational staff member at a nature and science museum; 2.5 years as a clarinet instructor to middle school students; 2 years as the coordinator for a high school music outreach program to a MA school for deaf children. ||| Other related experience: 3 years as college English dept. liaison; 2 years as contributing writer for college newspaper; internship at local newspaper; 3 years as a presentation designer for college in Boston, MA ||| Other experience: 3 years as chair/secretary of college student theatre org; 3 years as Theatre dept. liaison; 1 year as research assistant to college prof.

Statement of Purpose: Hopefully they like it! I really enjoyed writing it. I spoke a lot about educational equity, something about which I am incredibly passionate. :wub:

Letters of Recommendation: all 3 from undergraduate professors: two from the English Dept. and one from Theatre/Gender Studies

Financial Aid?: DESPERATELY IN NEED.

Currently I am...: So this is kind of weird, but I'm actually enrolled in a 3-year MA program at a public university in MA. However, within 2 months of beginning my program, I quickly realized it was NOT the right fit for me. Thought I wanted to teach at the college level; turns out I want to work with high school students to improve their literacy, writing, and communication skills before they come to college (my time as a TA has proven how much of a problem this actually is). I also want to create theatre initiatives for students of color in low-income/underprivileged areas. So I'm applying to Ed.M/M.A.T. programs for Fall 2015! Fingers crossed...we shall see. :)

Hello & welcome! No need to feel discouraged, you've got great stats! To answer your question Ed.M applicants do not get interviewed! Good luck!  :)

OMG. I just got a call on my cell that said, "No Caller ID", and I MISSED the freaking call, and so I panicked, and then finally I got the ding for the voicemail .... and I was SO NERVOUS when I pressed "Play Message" ... 

And it was my boss. Giving me a new schedule. 

ARGHGHHHHHGGGG!!!

I swear I'm going to have a heart attack the next time my phone rings. 

OMG. I just got a call on my cell that said, "No Caller ID", and I MISSED the freaking call, and so I panicked, and then finally I got the ding for the voicemail .... and I was SO NERVOUS when I pressed "Play Message" ... 

And it was my boss. Giving me a new schedule. 

ARGHGHHHHHGGGG!!!

I swear I'm going to have a heart attack the next time my phone rings. 

Download the app "TrueCaller" even if there is No ID, it sometimes picks up who the phone is registered to!!! Worth a try!

la_manda_panda I am freaking out at every little thing like you.  Each time I have an unread email I keep thinking it might be an invite.  I can't take this anymore!

Maybe this Saturday? I saw on the results page that a lot of PhD candidates got emails on a Saturday ... maybe they do that on purpose so that a million people aren't calling the office? Haha

Maybe this Saturday? I saw on the results page that a lot of PhD candidates got emails on a Saturday ... maybe they do that on purpose so that a million people aren't calling the office? Haha

La_manda_panda ( ^_^ tats an absolutely adorable name btw. ) I reallllllllllly reallllly hopeee I get some sign this weekend!!  honestly even for my masters application to the London School of Economics, I didn't freak out like this  :wacko:  :wacko: !!!!! Jus knowin some teeny weeny info abt the progress of the application would ease my anxiety!!!!!!  Can totally understand your reaction abt the unidentified call.. ha ha! 

la_manda_panda I am freaking out at every little thing like you.  Each time I have an unread email I keep thinking it might be an invite.  I can't take this anymore!

Same with me. My solution - just think you got rejected. This way u'll stop thinking so much about the result/call for interview and focus on the work at hand. When the actual result comes out, if you are rejected - it won't be that disappointing since you are already prepared for it. If you are selected, it would come like a pleasant surprise.

A little tricky, but effective. Definitely eased my nerves! Try it if you like.

I'm so glad to see there are others who have applied but not heard from the Ed.L.D. program! I was starting to think I was the only one, regardless of all of the evidence that says historically this program notifies well into February. Oh, the things we let anxiety do to us!

Very much looking forward to hearing many reports of good news on this forum. :) Until then, let's all keep taking deep breaths. 

I got into the PhD program!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

huge congrats! I also just got a call; I'm completely floored and freaking out. and visit day next month is on my birthday, so this is pretty much the best news ever.

huge congrats! I also just got a call; I'm completely floored and freaking out. and visit day next month is on my birthday, so this is pretty much the best news ever.

Congrats to you as well! Totally unexpected to hear back a week earlier than last year :)

I hear you... the endless wait begins! Excited and nervous at the same time!!!

My guess was Ed.M hearing results on Friday, March 6th. If its say a week earlier, it would be the 27th - I still think that may be early. I'll guess the earliest is March 4th. Ah! I can't wait, but I've told myself that I'm rejected. Just so I'm not too devastated... 

My guess was Ed.M hearing results on Friday, March 6th. If its say a week earlier, it would be the 27th - I still think that may be early. I'll guess the earliest is March 4th. Ah! I can't wait, but I've told myself that I'm rejected. Just so I'm not too devastated...

I'm sure you'll be selected. Although it does seem like we are going to be checking our email and calendar more often for the next few weeks!!

I'm sure you'll be selected. Although it does seem like we are going to be checking our email and calendar more often for the next few weeks!!

Thanks! Here's to staying sane...  :rolleyes: