HGSE Fall 2015

workink

on a related note...if anyone who went through Harvard's app process last year has any insights into what to expect and/or advice for the interview, I'm all ears! I'm excited, but I am also super nervous.

Hi, last year all of the invites went out on a Friday and Saturday for the following week.  I don't think the invites went out in waves because we all had our offers by Valentine's Day. I got my invite on a Friday and my interview was Monday. It was with the concentration chair and my would be (current) advisor. 

I was asked questions like why I applied for an Ed PhD program (I earned my MS in a discipline), my advisor asked me very detailed questions about methods (but I think that was specific to her), and I think they asked me a question about my career aspirations...

I was honestly very long winded; therefore, they were only able to ask me like 3-4 questions. The interview was on the formal side. 

If I were you, I would definitely be able to articulate my research interests (and how those interest fit with the concentration you are applying for), why I'm interested in an education PhD program, and how I plan to use research to impact change in education. 

ETA: Also Good luck! I'm excited for you (I remember that feeling last year). 

Edited by SheWrote

Hi, last year all of the invites went out on a Friday and Saturday for the following week.  I don't think the invites went out in waves because we all had our offers by Valentine's Day. I got my invite on a Friday and my interview was Monday. It was with the concentration chair and my would be (current) advisor. 

I was asked questions like why I applied for an Ed PhD program (I earned my MS in a discipline), my advisor asked me very detailed questions about methods (but I think that was specific to her), and I think they asked me a question about my career aspirations...

I was honestly very long winded; therefore, they were only able to ask me like 3-4 questions. The interview was on the formal side. 

If I were you, I would definitely be able to articulate my research interests (and how those interest fit with the concentration you are applying for), why I'm interested in an education PhD program, and how I plan to use research to impact change in education. 

ETA: Also Good luck! I'm excited for you (I remember that feeling last year). 

Thanks SheWrote! Hope to be able to join you in the fall :-) Would you happen to have a reasonable guess as to how many interviews go out? And also, what concentration are you in, and are you happy with the program? 

Thanks SheWrote! Hope to be able to join you in the fall :-) Would you happen to have a reasonable guess as to how many interviews go out? And also, what concentration are you in, and are you happy with the program? 

I don't know how many interviews go out. In last year's thread, someone stated that they planned to interview about 50 applicants (Idk if that was fact or speculation).  Overall, I love the program and I love my cohort. Resources are abundant and there is so much flexibility in regard to pursuing your research interests. I, undeniably, made the right decision. 

me: "Dear HGSE Admissions, I wonder, would you be able and willing to disclose whether all invitations to Ph.D. interviews have been sent?"

HGSE: "Thank you for your message. We can confirm that we have begun sending interview invitations for the Ph.D. in Education and expect that all invitations will be out by mid-February. While an interview is required for admission to the program, decisions will not be finalized until all committee deliberations have been completed. We anticipate that GSAS will send out final decisions by late February/early March."

me: "Dear HGSE Admissions, I wonder, would you be able and willing to disclose whether all invitations to Ph.D. interviews have been sent?"

HGSE: "Thank you for your message. We can confirm that we have begun sending interview invitations for the Ph.D. in Education and expect that all invitations will be out by mid-February. While an interview is required for admission to the program, decisions will not be finalized until all committee deliberations have been completed. We anticipate that GSAS will send out final decisions by late February/early March."

I thought that email sounded familiar, so I looked at last year's HGSE thread. seems like they said the same thing last year, but if you look at the search results last year, decisions went out in mid-Feb. no guarantee that this year will be the same, but just though I'd share a post from

"Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:01 PM

Just got an email back from HGSE regarding the interviews:

Thank you for your message. We can confirm that we have begun sending interview invitations for the Ph.D. in Education and expect that all invitations will be out by mid-February.  While an interview is required for admission to the program, decisions will not be finalized until all committee deliberations have been completed.  We anticipate that GSAS will send out final decisions by late February/early March.

Best,

HGSE Admissions"

I thought that email sounded familiar, so I looked at last year's HGSE thread. seems like they said the same thing last year, but if you look at the search results last year, decisions went out in mid-Feb. no guarantee that this year will be the same, but just though I'd share a post from

"Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:01 PM

Just got an email back from HGSE regarding the interviews:

Thank you for your message. We can confirm that we have begun sending interview invitations for the Ph.D. in Education and expect that all invitations will be out by mid-February.  While an interview is required for admission to the program, decisions will not be finalized until all committee deliberations have been completed.  We anticipate that GSAS will send out final decisions by late February/early March.

Best,

HGSE Admissions"

I've noticed based on the past threads that they usually have decisions earlier than what they say. Ph.D's decisions were out mid-feb and Ed.M's were out early March vs. the early March for Ph.d and late March for Ed.M. Maybe this year is different and they'll tell us later? Who knows!

In other news, I had a dream last night that I got accepted and then rejected shortly after...  :wacko:

I was told during my interview that I'd be hearing back in the next 2-3 weeks, so it seems like the timeline might be similar to last year's. Good luck everyone!

That's great - must be a good sign because in other interviews I've heard of this cycle they've been told "end of February or early March" - which I presume may be a hint they are getting rejected.

That's great - must be a good sign because in other interviews I've heard of this cycle they've been told "end of February or early March" - which I presume may be a hint they are getting rejected.

eep...I hope that isn't a subtle way of indicating likelihood of admission. I don't think my interviewers said when I'd hear back, and I didn't bother to ask because I felt like I already had a general idea.

Thanks SoCalGuy. Whatever it means, I'm glad the wait will soon be over. I'd like to think the interview went well, they were overall very positive and I felt comfortable with the questions, but then again I could imagine that they are probably positive with everyone and I'm sure they talk with a lot of great people. I was actually surprised by how laid back it seemed. They definitely asked some tricky questions, but they were super nice (a reflection of them as people, rather than me personally is how I interpret it).

I'm not sure if it's just my program (the HDLT) that will have things wrapped up or if it will be all programs. The HDLT folks may have decisions ready in a few weeks, but it may take longer for the official word. Who knows. Did anyone else hear a particular timeline?

I also applied to the PhD program at HGSE (HDLT) and was told during my interview that I should hear in 2-3 weeks. Best of luck everyone!

Ah, who were the two interviewers? Maybe the script differed by program? I only know CIS and EPPE applicants.

With the HDLT chair and my would-be advisor, so I imagine there's quite a bit of flux in the interviewing teams. I wouldn't be surprised if candidates were told slightly different things. I'm hoping that we'll know before Valentine's Day as was the case last year. 

I also interviewed with the HDLT chair and potential future advisor. The HDLT chair was the person who mentioned the 2-3 week timeline. rljp85 -- I wonder if we have the same poi. Do you mind pming me yours?

We were told the same last year and it had nothing to do with who was rejected or accepted. I think that is just the general timeline they use. They told us late February/Early March and we found out by Valentine's Day. 

We were told the same last year and it had nothing to do with who was rejected or accepted. I think that is just the general timeline they use. They told us late February/Early March and we found out by Valentine's Day. 

I wish we could just find out our results on a rolling basis...I can't take the wait anymore..

Ok.. after being a silent spectator for months i finally rolled up some guts to post here!!! All of you here seem just super incredible. Congratulations to all those who got your call for interview. And Good luck for the results  ^_^  ^_^  ^_^

btw are there any international applicants for the Ed.L.D. program this year? Please give me some hope that I am not the only one!!!! :blink:   I know this program is entirely customized for the American K-12 education sector ( and yet I applied :ph34r:  coz it was what I wanted to do and I don't have the option anywhere else in the world ).

Do I have any chance at all? :unsure:  Anybody got call for interviews?  

Fuffy----I'm sure you have a chance!  This waiting is terrible.  I believe the interview invites go out sometime between now and next weekend.  That is the pattern from the last couple of years anyway.  If anyone hears anything about EDLD interviews, please post!

Thank you so much!! Somehow feel so left out already coz am half way across the world :/ Just hope things would speed up a bit!! This forum is my only connect now :)

Thank you so much!! Somehow feel so left out already coz am half way across the world :/ Just hope things would speed up a bit!! This forum is my only connect now :)

We're all in this together!  Approx 35 days left....!