HGSE Fall 2015

workink

HGSE'ers, I think I'm having a breakdown... 

I'm scheduled to take the GRE on the 22nd... I'm still an undergraduate student, of course, struggling with major term papers, work and midterms. I'm starting to panic, and I know I'll be better after the GRE, but I'm fearing the worst. Life has been so hectic that I haven't even been able to do many practice tests, I can't retain anything. I know the AWA is the most important, but I'm still really scared and super stressed out with everything going on...does anyone have any insights. My acceptance is a long shot, but boy, do I want this badly. I'm just one of those people whose "life" gets in the way of everything... I could cry! I'm panicking!!!

Desperate for tips on how to calm down/study well for the GRE!

Honestly, maybe you should consider giving yourself some time in between undergrad-graduate school. If you want to talk about this, I have some ideas/suggestions that may be useful to you. 

Good morning HGSE hopefuls. Last year, when I was going through this extremely stressful process, a couple of current HGSE students stepped into our year's thread and gave some valuable information. As such, I want to pay it forward and offer some suggestions:

1. Connect with a current student who is an ambassador. You can do this here: http://www.gse.harvard.edu/admissions/student-and-alumni-ambassadors

2. In connecting with students or admissions department, try your best not to ask questions the answers to which are already listed on websites.

3. At the same time, questions about which program to apply to vs. others, and other such things are fair game and very helpful to you.

4. Attend any virtual/in person things you can; they help with anxiety and you get lots of answers to questions you didn't know you had. http://www.gse.harvard.edu/admissions/events

5. Start writing your personal statement three months ago. At this point, that should nearly be the only thing you are working on. Try to address not only what you already know but the burning questions you are bringing with you that will add to the learning of the entire school. In writing your personal statement, focus on these three questions:

• why you
  • why now
  • why HGSE

6. The GRE is truly one part of the application; a smaller, less significant part. Remember that HGSE is a big part of the dialogue around standardized testing, what it captures, and what it misses. They take that into consideration and when they use the word holistic, they really mean it.

7. There are two  HGSE scholarships available; the urban scholars award and the leadership in education award. Whether you think you'll qualify for them or not---APPLY! You may be amazed!

8. This is no hard science but if you have extensive (5+ years) experience, it would be advisable to get two professional and one academic LOR. LORs should always be from people who know YOU very well; not from people the world knows. A generic letter from Bill Gates is a lot less impressive than from your bicycle mechanic who can speak honestly to you. This is Harvard; no shortage of impressive people here.

9. Finally, it is exciting and humbling when we hear from you; do not be shy to reach out, this is a great community.

Edited by OCD or Perfection?

I have a question, I've emailed admissions as well with no reply...

Is December 5th pushing it too late to take the GRE for the scores to arrive to the admissions office on time? I realized theres a test centre closer to where I live, and the available date is on the 5th....

I think it takes 2-3 weeks for official scores to arrive... What do you all think?

Sorry for the late response to this - I've been busy balancing work and getting my application together. I went to the on campus seminar on Admissions and Financial Aid last Saturday and asked pretty much the same question about the GRE - my date is December 8. I was told that my date was about the limit for getting scores in time and that I need to be sure to self report the scores that I receive the dat of the exam on the application. The AWA is the one that will take time to report. Hopefully it will all work out. Honestly, I am a little nervous about it, but I was told that it would not be worth rescheduling the exam for the money it costs. 

Good luck!

Hi Guys! Here are my stats

GRE Score (Revised): V 149, Q 151ish AWA 3.0

GPA: 3.62 (Honors College Graduate and Graduating with Departmental Honors)

Work Experience: Limited--Resident Assistant for 3 years, Intern for Breakthrough Collaborative, Child Development Intern with the Air Force

Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Public

Research Experience: Received a competitive grant to conduct research on a resiliency-building and character building program for inner-city minority youth. Researching best practices in this area.

Applying for PhD or Masters: Masters, 2015.

Program: PSP

What Other Schools Are You Applying To: UPENN, Vandy, Auburn, Alabama, Old Dominion, Maryland, Troy, UAB

I know that my scores are super low but I'm shooting for the stars! Best of luck to everyone!

Edited by HGSE_Hopeful

Kinda late to join the party but just submitted my application this morning!

The wait is going to be long but I am relieved at least I'm done with the application process.

GRE Score (Revised): V 160 (84 percentile), Q 167 (94 percentile) AWA: 5.0 (93 percentile)

GPA: 3.36 (undergrad in econ) 4.0 (grad in education)
Work Experience: 2 years in financial industry, 2 years in urban education (secondary math teacher) in a Title I school. Teach For America alum.

Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): public (undergrad), private (grad)
Research Experience: co-author on a project directly related to my research interests during my master's
Applying for PhD or Masters: Doctoral 2015
Program: EPPE
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: Stanford, Michigan, UPenn

Concerned about my mediocre verbal score and low undergrad GPA but hoping for the best!

Edited by thdus82

Has everyone already submitted their applications? 

I keep re-working my SOP, and that's because I started a LONG time ago. Like ... in August. :/. I think I might take a day or two off of work to think about it. It's difficult to really think about what I want to write with two small kids at home asking for juice boxes. 

Has everyone already submitted their applications? 

I keep re-working my SOP, and that's because I started a LONG time ago. Like ... in August. :/. I think I might take a day or two off of work to think about it. It's difficult to really think about what I want to write with two small kids at home asking for juice boxes. 

I'm right there with you. I have 4 kids under the age of 10 and I'm teaching full time. I have a day off on Monday .... to take the GRE!!! I've spent all the time I have on the SOP, so I'm not confident about the exam. I really like the word "holistic" when it comes to the admission process! Good luck to you!

GRE Score (Revised): V: 160  Q: 145  AWA 4.5

GPA: 3.89
Work Experience: I currently am an AmeriCorps VISTA at a community college in Connecticut developing the infrastructure for support services for 3,000 non traditional students on campus. Through this role I have created an on campus food pantry as a means of combating food insecurity amongst our student population as it is these types of barriers that often keep students from academic success. I have 3 years of experience as the assistant student activities director at a community college in addition to having worked 1 year in the community relations office at the same school. For the last 4 years I have volunteered with and served as one of the 7 core leaders in CT's undocumented youth movement. I have served as the grant writer and manager for this organization and through this experience I have become deeply invested in the experiences of this population and questions surrounding civic engagement.
Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Community College then Ivy
Program: Higher Education
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: NYU and Teachers College - I am married and my husband will only go so far.

My GRE score is nowhere near where I want it to be. However, I'm not nearly as stressed about that as I am about the SOP. How personal are people making it? I know it's a statment of purpose not a personal statement but I feel like I'm just telling my story. Plus, other than samples online I've never really read a real one. Any suggestions? Words of wisdom?

GRE Score (Revised): V: 160  Q: 145  AWA 4.5

GPA: 3.89

Work Experience: I currently am an AmeriCorps VISTA at a community college in Connecticut developing the infrastructure for support services for 3,000 non traditional students on campus. Through this role I have created an on campus food pantry as a means of combating food insecurity amongst our student population as it is these types of barriers that often keep students from academic success. I have 3 years of experience as the assistant student activities director at a community college in addition to having worked 1 year in the community relations office at the same school. For the last 4 years I have volunteered with and served as one of the 7 core leaders in CT's undocumented youth movement. I have served as the grant writer and manager for this organization and through this experience I have become deeply invested in the experiences of this population and questions surrounding civic engagement.

Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Community College then Ivy

Program: Higher Education

What Other Schools Are You Applying To: NYU and Teachers College - I am married and my husband will only go so far.

My GRE score is nowhere near where I want it to be. However, I'm not nearly as stressed about that as I am about the SOP. How personal are people making it? I know it's a statment of purpose not a personal statement but I feel like I'm just telling my story. Plus, other than samples online I've never really read a real one. Any suggestions? Words of wisdom?

If you think your GRE score is bad, you should see mine... Rest assured, yours is just fine, do not worry about it. I've heard from multiple people that the SOP is the main thing that will grant you admission so heres the tips I've gotten. I've been working on my SOP since July, and I'm finally comfortable where it is now. My fiance is a Harvard student and I've gotten 2 HGSE'ers to look over it. They all say it seems great.

My SOP is:

- personal - hints at part of my story but I expand more on it in my personal challenges essay.

- it starts off with a "story" having to do with my challenges with a few strong and effective sentances

- Why I want to study IEP

- provided some examples  from professional experience which led to:

- Why I want to study IEP at HGSE

- Why now. - I've been told this is the most important part, I have yet to be at a comfortable place. You really need to explain to admissions what you can offer, why you're important.

But mainly. Admissions have said write from the heart. So IMO, I would get as personal as you can.

The majority of my essay highlighted the why I want to study IEP.

I hope that kind of helped, I repeated what most people have said in these forums, but decided I'd dispense it again.

And really, don't worry about the GRE. Your scores are much better than you think. I think my GRE scores will for sure be the cause of my rejection, and they are much MUCH lower than yours. You're fine! I just really hope they employ the holistic approach and don't weigh the GRE as much, it's a silly, horrible test. Haha

If you think your GRE score is bad, you should see mine... Rest assured, yours is just fine, do not worry about it. I've heard from multiple people that the SOP is the main thing that will grant you admission so heres the tips I've gotten. I've been working on my SOP since July, and I'm finally comfortable where it is now. My fiance is a Harvard student and I've gotten 2 HGSE'ers to look over it. They all say it seems great.

My SOP is:

- personal - hints at part of my story but I expand more on it in my personal challenges essay.

- it starts off with a "story" having to do with my challenges with a few strong and effective sentances

- Why I want to study IEP

- provided some examples  from professional experience which led to:

- Why I want to study IEP at HGSE

- Why now. - I've been told this is the most important part, I have yet to be at a comfortable place. You really need to explain to admissions what you can offer, why you're important.

But mainly. Admissions have said write from the heart. So IMO, I would get as personal as you can.

The majority of my essay highlighted the why I want to study IEP.

I hope that kind of helped, I repeated what most people have said in these forums, but decided I'd dispense it again.

And really, don't worry about the GRE. Your scores are much better than you think. I think my GRE scores will for sure be the cause of my rejection, and they are much MUCH lower than yours. You're fine! I just really hope they employ the holistic approach and don't weigh the GRE as much, it's a silly, horrible test. Haha

thank you thank you for your super helpful feedback!

Hi everyone! Thanks for creating this thread.  I figured I would join the conversation.  

GRE: Verbal: 158 Quant: 150 AWA: 4.5

GPA: 3.77

Teach For America intern during college and two years of teaching experience combined with extensive experience working with individuals with disabilities. 

My question is--With these scores, is Harvard a realistic possibility? 

Also, I am worried that my SOP is just an extended resume.  It is from the heart, and it explains how I have gotten to the point of wanting to pursue this degree, but that is coincidentally based on the experiences I have had.  Thoughts?

Hi everyone! Thanks for creating this thread. I figured I would join the conversation.

Teach For America intern during college and two years of teaching experience combined with extensive experience working with individuals with disabilities.

Also, I am worried that my SOP is just an extended resume. It is from the heart, and it explains how I have gotten to the point of wanting to pursue this degree, but that is coincidentally based on the experiences I have had. Thoughts?

Don't lose hope. I still have some (a little) hope. My scores and GPA are lower than yours. Just try :) keep your head up!

Hi everyone! Thanks for creating this thread.  I figured I would join the conversation.  

Also, I am worried that my SOP is just an extended resume.  It is from the heart, and it explains how I have gotten to the point of wanting to pursue this degree, but that is coincidentally based on the experiences I have had.  Thoughts?

Happy91, do not fret  - when I applied to HGSE for my masters a couple years ago, I was sporting an impressive 160V 147Q (!!) 4.0 AWA and I got in. 

Never lose hope :)

I am also applying for the Ed.L.D. 2015!  So nervous!  It looks like a dream program!  I heard the same regarding 500 apps and 25 admitted.  My husband helped me feel a bit more confident by telling me that's 1 in 20.  Not so bad. ;)

I am also applying for the Ed.L.D. 2015!  So nervous!  It looks like a dream program!  I heard the same regarding 500 apps and 25 admitted.  My husband helped me feel a bit more confident by telling me that's 1 in 20.  Not so bad. ;)

Good luck! I just submitted my application. I literally felt like I was going to throw up when I pressed submit. Haha. Hopefully we'll see each other on campus in August! 

Good luck! I just submitted my application. I literally felt like I was going to throw up when I pressed submit. Haha. Hopefully we'll see each other on campus in August! 

I totally agree!  Now it is just the waiting game!

Hi everyone :)

I'm from the UK and applying to the AIE masters at Harvard! Bit confused about GRE and my GPA (used an online converter) so if you can give me any indication about how good they are then that would be great!

GRE Score (Revised): V: 163  Q: 157  AWA 6.0

GPA UnderGrad: 3.7 (but from a top university, not sure if that makes it slightly better?!?)

GPA Masters: I find out my first semester's grade in a few weeks!
Work Experience: Not much as went straight from undergrad to my current MA, but director and trustee of small educational charity that sends undergrads from Oxbridge to teach English in China, Hong Kong and Japan.
Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): British equivalent of Ivy
Applying for PhD or Masters: MA
Program: Arts in Education
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: None

Sent off the application on Friday, and two of my references have been completed, so just waiting for the third one and then everything will be done!

Anyone know what the success rate is for MA applications? I read online somewhere that it was around 50% but that seems too high?

Hi everyone :)

I'm from the UK and applying to the AIE masters at Harvard! Bit confused about GRE and my GPA (used an online converter) so if you can give me any indication about how good they are then that would be great!

GRE Score (Revised): V: 163  Q: 157  AWA 6.0

GPA UnderGrad: 3.7 (but from a top university, not sure if that makes it slightly better?!?)

GPA Masters: I find out my first semester's grade in a few weeks!

Work Experience: Not much as went straight from undergrad to my current MA, but director and trustee of small educational charity that sends undergrads from Oxbridge to teach English in China, Hong Kong and Japan.

Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): British equivalent of Ivy

Applying for PhD or Masters: MA

Program: Arts in Education

What Other Schools Are You Applying To: None

Sent off the application on Friday, and two of my references have been completed, so just waiting for the third one and then everything will be done!

Anyone know what the success rate is for MA applications? I read online somewhere that it was around 50% but that seems too high?

you're fine!

Is anyone applying for their teacher education program and have any idea what the acceptance rate is for it?

HIGH!

true-around 4%. Everyone should apply for deferral to masters. A good bird in hand.