MFA 2015 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

What would be your primary reason/s, if you don't mind sharing. :)

I don't speak from experience - but one of my good friends went to MICA and absolutely loved it. Also, not that this should be the final decision maker-but as far as prestige/recognition I think MICA is better ranked/known. But maybe I'm wrong. CMU seems great too! Not bad choices

Thanks for all the freak-outs everyone! Its been a long couple of years. I am going to be attending UC San Diego in the fall!

I applied for MFA programs two years in a row, and had far better results the second time, from only one acceptance in 2014, to four in 2015. In between I did a couple of residencies, exhibitions, and kept making work. I'm posting my results here in case anyone is interested. Hopefully it will be encouraging for those who didn't get the results they were looking for this year to try again in a year or two. Unsure if I want to post my website, but if anyone is interested, feel free to PM me.

2015:

UCSD - Interviewed/ Accepted/ Going (full tuition + TA) 

UC Irvine - Interviewed/ Waitlist/ Accepted (full tuition + TA)

Rutgers - Accepted  (no interview) (with TA position = full tuition + $25k/year)

SAIC - Interviewed: Performance, Sculpture/ Accepted: Performance (with 20% tuition scholarship), Sculpture, FVNMA

UCLA, USC, Yale - Rejected

2014:

University of Chicago - Interviewed/ Waitlist/ Accepted (50% tuition 1st year, 100% 2nd year +TA)

UCSD - Interviewed/ Rejected

UCLA, USC, Yale, Columbia - Rejected

What would be your primary reason/s, if you don't mind sharing. :)

Carnegie Mellon has an excellent reputation and is one of the top private research institutions in the world. They have an unlimited amount of resources and world class faculty. I like that it is a three year program and that there is a strong emphasis on not only the conceptual component of craft but making work that is socially and culturally relevant.

Edited by Maya31

Looooooong time lurker here. Just had an interview with Goldsmiths (it went terribly,thanks for asking!). Did anyone else interview there?

I Interviewed just recently as well, Im getting a little nervous as the 15th decision date is coming close. Im wondering if anyone has heard back yet?

Thanks for all the freak-outs everyone! Its been a long couple of years. I am going to be attending UC San Diego in the fall!

I applied for MFA programs two years in a row, and had far better results the second time, from only one acceptance in 2014, to four in 2015. In between I did a couple of residencies, exhibitions, and kept making work. I'm posting my results here in case anyone is interested. Hopefully it will be encouraging for those who didn't get the results they were looking for this year to try again in a year or two. Unsure if I want to post my website, but if anyone is interested, feel free to PM me.

2015:

UCSD - Interviewed/ Accepted/ Going (full tuition + TA) 

UC Irvine - Interviewed/ Waitlist/ Accepted (full tuition + TA)

Rutgers - Accepted  (no interview) (with TA position = full tuition + $25k/year)

SAIC - Interviewed: Performance, Sculpture/ Accepted: Performance (with 20% tuition scholarship), Sculpture, FVNMA

UCLA, USC, Yale - Rejected

2014:

University of Chicago - Interviewed/ Waitlist/ Accepted (50% tuition 1st year, 100% 2nd year +TA)

UCSD - Interviewed/ Rejected

UCLA, USC, Yale, Columbia - Rejected

So you decided on UCSD. I'd love to know what your experience there ends up being.

Congrats!

I Interviewed just recently as well, Im getting a little nervous as the 15th decision date is coming close. Im wondering if anyone has heard back yet?

Hey, i actually got an offer from them today. Not sure if all the offers go out on the same day though.

Hey everyone, 

I can't emphasize how important it is to VISIT VISIT VISIT every school you get into (even before applying, if possible). A brief visit can totally turn your decision upside down and prevent you from locking into a two year scenario of unhappiness. 

Sorry for the late reply, for those of you waiting to hear back from NYU, I was accepted 03.19.15 (interviewed on 03.13.15) and was at the top of their list. After accepting the offer, I withdrew as I was later offered a full TAship at Mason Gross (also accepted at Hunter, but you know, no money at all and was pretty disappointed at the open studios....). NYU is a super school, with a ton of great faculty, but 130k+ in loans just isn't reasonable when such a generous offer is on the table. At least not for an MFA. Best wishes to all!

Edited by Evol

Sorry for the late reply, for those of you waiting to hear back from NYU, I was accepted 03.19.15 (interviewed on 03.13.15) and was at the top of their list. After accepting the offer, I withdrew as I was later offered a full TAship at Mason Gross (also accepted at Hunter, but you know, no money at all and was pretty disappointed at the open studios....). NYU is a super school, with a ton of great faculty, but 130k+ in loans just isn't reasonable when such a generous offer is on the table. At least not for an MFA. Best wishes to all!

Thank you so much for this information and Congrats on Rutgers!! I've heard amazing things about their program and the new direction it has been taking.

NYU has been pretty quite; with such a small acceptance rate, I'm not expecting any type of miracle to happen in the next few days.

If you don't mind me asking... How much was your deposit for NYU? I haven't found any info regarding the deposit fee. You can PM me if you don't feel comfortable announcing it on here. 

I've declined my offers from SVA and PAFA. I think I'm just going to apply next year to more schools now that I've dipped my foot in the water. I have a few publications and shows happening later this year, so hopefully that beefs up my CV. I'm really proud of what I did this application season.

I wish everyone luck on their future adventures!! 

Yeah me too

Is there any one else on planet earth that has interviewed with columbia and still heard nothing?

Yeah, I've heard nothing. SMDH.

Edited by firtree

I haven't heard anything either uuuggghhh called last week and the person I talked to said they're sending all letters out on April 1, so a week or so after that we should hear. I guess that means they are sending them in the mail

If they (SAIC) sent them out April 1st, the mail must be incredibly slow!!  I have still heard nothing.   I've assumed rejection for a long time, but would like that confirmed before making other plans.  

Edited by stitcher

Hello to all,

I have been accepted to three schools.  They want me to decide by Wednesday and I have still not decided.  It is extremely difficult because I am trying to think of all scenarios that might happen in the future if I accept.

So the question is: can I give the deposit right now for 2 schools and decide during the summer when I have visited the campus and I have actually understand what I am getting into?  I know I can ask but unsure if it will be O.K. to do so.  I don't remember how it becomes official. 

I read before here someone accepted and then declined when they were offered better funding somewhere else.  So can I just pay deposit and then send an email to one school that I will remove myself from the program?

Hello to all,

I have been accepted to three schools. They want me to decide by Wednesday and I have still not decided. It is extremely difficult because I am trying to think of all scenarios that might happen in the future if I accept.

So the question is: can I give the deposit right now for 2 schools and decide during the summer when I have visited the campus and I have actually understand what I am getting into? I know I can ask but unsure if it will be O.K. to do so. I don't remember how it becomes official.

I read before here someone accepted and then declined when they were offered better funding somewhere else. So can I just pay deposit and then send an email to one school that I will remove myself from the program?

Yes-you will lose the deposit but I don't think it's really official until you send in your transcripts and pay tuition. You can always back out. Obviously you'll have to send a nice email/call when you make your decision.

Anyone accepted to USC Roski actually going? Despite the fact I had told them their new financial offer wouldn't work for me (waitlisted) , they still sent me a letter of acceptance. I am really surprised by what has been happening with Roski and can't even imagine the chaos they are going though, yet I wonder if it would have been best for them not to have had an application process this year.

At first Frances Stark's departure and the Dr Dre thing didn't bother me much, but then the whole application process became really erratic and I believe this could really make people who applied there upset, since the program seems to be completely different. Any opinions?

I just hope future candidates have the chance to be more informed about all this.

Anyone accepted to USC Roski actually going? Despite the fact I had told them their new financial offer wouldn't work for me (waitlisted) , they still sent me a letter of acceptance. I am really surprised by what has been happening with Roski and can't even imagine the chaos they are going though, yet I wonder if it would have been best for them not to have had an application process this year.

At first Frances Stark's departure and the Dr Dre thing didn't bother me much, but then the whole application process became really erratic and I believe this could really make people who applied there upset, since the program seems to be completely different. Any opinions?

I just hope future candidates have the chance to be more informed about all this.

I completely agree. I felt pretty jerked around when I found out about all of the changes because at least if I had been rejected and they still had everything they were advertising throughout the application process (full funding, health benefits, stipend, faculty, etc) then fair enough - I knew it was a longshot they only accept 8 people yadda yadda.  BUT to go through that gruelling process and make it to the fucking interview and IN THE INTERVIEW have the floor ripped out from under you in being told that they actually don't have any of that stuff any more - I felt totally scammed and on top of that I am now out of $100 for a program that I wouldn't have applied to had they made things more clear through the application process. They offered me a spot on the waitlist too and I opted out.

I completely agree. I felt pretty jerked around when I found out about all of the changes because at least if I had been rejected and they still had everything they were advertising throughout the application process (full funding, health benefits, stipend, faculty, etc) then fair enough - I knew it was a longshot they only accept 8 people yadda yadda.  BUT to go through that gruelling process and make it to the fucking interview and IN THE INTERVIEW have the floor ripped out from under you in being told that they actually don't have any of that stuff any more - I felt totally scammed and on top of that I am now out of $100 for a program that I wouldn't have applied to had they made things more clear through the application process. They offered me a spot on the waitlist too and I opted out.

Yup I thought the same. It seems slightly unethical.