MFA 2015 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

Is the waiting game wrecking anyone else's sleep and/or stomach health? I'm still waiting to see if my alternate spot turns into something real. Wouldn't it be civilized if there was a universal notification date?

I feel you littlebluehouse, I'm in the same boat- I'm on the waitlist for my two top choices- both of which rarely admit students off the waitliList. It's not an ideal situation but somewhat encouraging if I wind up applying again next year. I hope it works out for you! There's still a ways to go until April 15th so don't panic yet!

Is there anyone in the same situation now or who went through this last year?

Me. I lost a lot of weight and expended lots of emotional energy on the applications process last year. This year has been much different.

Make as much work as you can in the next year, try to recognize any areas of improvement in terms of portfolio presentation, and don't be afraid to reach out to to the programs you're interested in about whether you're a good fit or not.

Edited by Czarina

Is the waiting game wrecking anyone else's sleep and/or stomach health? I'm still waiting to see if my alternate spot turns into something real. Wouldn't it be civilized if there was a universal notification date?

I think if there was a universal notification date it would be almost as notorious as valentines day .

A lot of soaring dreams and crushed hopes. Maybe it is better to spread it out? ;p

I feel you littlebluehouse, I'm in the same boat- I'm on the waitlist for my two top choices- both of which rarely admit students off the waitliList. It's not an ideal situation but somewhat encouraging if I wind up applying again next year. I hope it works out for you! There's still a ways to go until April 15th so don't panic yet!

Me. I lost a lot of weight and expended lots of emotional energy on the applications process last year. This year has been much different.

Make as much work as you can in the next year, try to recognize any areas of improvement in terms of portfolio presentation, and don't be afraid to reach out to to the programs you're interested in about whether you're a good fit or not.

Last year I was waitlisted too. At the end nothing worked out. It was devastating, but I gained a lot from the wholr process. First, as artists there will be a ton of times when we will have to face rejections. Open calls, residencies, etc. If we intend to go through this path, we need to learn not to be discouraged by rejection. I learned a lot about my work and myself this past year and at the end I am even happy that I had that chance. Grow stronger guys, and your work will too.

If you are waitlisted, there's not much you can do to  accelerate the process. If you don't get in, well so be it. You will know how  to do it better next time. 

Edited by Milkyways

Last year I was waitlisted too. At the end nothing worked out. It was devastating, but I gained a lot from the wholr process. First, as artists there will be a ton of times when we will have to face rejections. Open calls, residencies, etc. If we intend to go through this path, we need to learn not to be discouraged by rejection. I learned a lot about my work and myself this past year and at the end I am even happy that I had that chance. Grow stronger guys, and your work will too.

If you are waitlisted, there's not much you can do to  accelerate the process. If you don't get in, well so be it. You will know how  to do it better next time. 

^^^ This awesome awesome.

I have had a few rejections that didnt feel very good, but I learned a lot from the process. The first interview I had I was basically told I didn't have enough experience/knowlege to be able to excell in the program and the whole thing about fresh undergraduate students usually not being admitted. She even said that 'most people get angry at her' and that my response was 'very mature'. Instead of throwing a fit for her telling the truth that I wouldn't fit her program, I thanked her very much for what I had learned. It was worth it to go through that first interview to learn what I needed to work on.

I think it's important to be ready for the program you are going to be in, and that's really determined by what the staff (and they are knowlegeable) have experience in . There is an off chance they are wrong, but usually they know what they are talking about in regards to their own curriculum.

We can do this guys! :) Warts and all.

They sent me a link to the applyyourself page where they had posted the decision letter.Yeah, I'm hoping I get in somewhere! I hope you hear good news!

Madhini, you have my empathy. I've gotten that same impersonal email before. Keep the faith! Thinking positive thoughts for you. Thanks for your well wishes.

Chewgumdrawlines, it sounds like we are in the exact same situation. Arrrrgh! I can elaborate later, but I totally feel you. Lots of time still for things to evolve. :)

Czarina, thanks for your thoughts. You sound grounded and ready to kick ass, and I hope you do!

Milkyways, thanks also for your thoughts. So much wisdom here.

Good luck, everyone. Choosing today to believe anything is possible.

Hey everyone!  I apologize in advance that this post is a little off topic, but I've googled and haven't had much luck finding answers to my question, so I thought some on this forum might be able to offer words of advice.  

Tonight is the opening reception for my first solo show, and I've been asked by the curator to say a few words at the beginning of the event.  I'm really, really not one for public speaking so I'm just a bit nervous and I'm not entirely sure what I'm expected to say.  I've got past the usual, "Thank you all for coming, it's a pleasure to share my work with you, etc..." kind of thing, but I'm unsure how much I'm expected to talk about my work.  Do people usually give a little bio info and then speak about the work that's being shown?  How in depth would you suggest I go in terms of contextual underpinnings, process, etc?  Any advice would be greatly

1. Introduce yourself-assume no one knows you (small bio)

2. Give a modified version of your artist statement specfic to the work ( give ppl context to make looking at your work interesting)

3. Thank people for coming

4. Thank the Gallery owner

DONE!

Page 93 is awesome.  :)

MICA email late afternoon from Chris Harring saying the notifications are going out over the weekend, and thanking us for waiting it out. Sounds like they send out acceptances via mail. Anyone hear anything else from them? 

Did anyone else have a particularly awful experience interviewing at Hunter? I felt like one of the two people interviewing had it out for me. It was a really bizarre experience. Multiple passive-aggressive questions from this one person. Asked about how financial aid works and was quickly told "getting in here is a scholarship." 

I've interviewed with three other programs and didn't have anything remotely like this. I felt like they were actively going in, looking for ways to argue/discredit anything I said. Maybe this person was against me even being considered? It felt awful, and was hardly a critique of my work or experience. 

At least all my interviews are OVER. Now the waiting on financial aid game begins...

Did anyone else have a particularly awful experience interviewing at Hunter? I felt like one of the two people interviewing had it out for me. It was a really bizarre experience. Multiple passive-aggressive questions from this one person. Asked about how financial aid works and was quickly told "getting in here is a scholarship."

I've interviewed with three other programs and didn't have anything remotely like this. I felt like they were actively going in, looking for ways to argue/discredit anything I said. Maybe this person was against me even being considered? It felt awful, and was hardly a critique of my work or experience.

At least all my interviews are OVER. Now the waiting on financial aid game begins...

I had the exact same experience, I wonder if we interviewed with the same people! It seemed like they were very unfamiliar with my work as I had to explain everything in its entirety, which seemed like a waste of time. In certain moments it was like they were very interested but then I would be met with 1 or 2 of them strongly challenging some of the decisions I made. I was rushed out with no opportunity to ask questions. Did I do something wrong?!

I've heard mention several times of a deadline that most schools are supposed to follow (at least flexibly) in the acceptance process. Would anyone here be kind enough to fill me in on the dates relating to this information?

I had the exact same experience, I wonder if we interviewed with the same people! It seemed like they were very unfamiliar with my work as I had to explain everything in its entirety, which seemed like a waste of time. In certain moments it was like they were very interested but then I would be met with 1 or 2 of them strongly challenging some of the decisions I made. I was rushed out with no opportunity to ask questions. Did I do something wrong?!

It's unfortunate because I was really excited about the program and (of course) the relative affordability compared to other schools here. This is the second MFA program member out of four I've met who's been exceptionally rude... not sure cheap tuition is worth putting up with that. If you invite me to interview, at least be polite and show some interest in the work I submitted?

At least it's helping make choosing a school easier! Hah. 

I've heard mention several times of a deadline that most schools are supposed to follow (at least flexibly) in the acceptance process. Would anyone here be kind enough to fill me in on the dates relating to this information?

I believe most school have to let you know by April 1, and allow students until the 15th to make decisions

I believe most school have to let you know by April 1, and allow students until the 15th to make decisions

Some of them seem to have a different deadline. The only place I've been given a definite deadline for thus far is Syarcuse University and they told me  March 22. I almost have a feeling that this is a deadline for the candidates they initially want- and then maybe when those say no or yes they inform the rest of the candidates on their acceptances/ declines based on which of the initial ones said no? I could be wrong but I haven't heard of anyone talking about a rejection from Syracuse, even though I've been told I was accepted.

heck in my interview like at  the end of February I was told I was accepted. I thought it was just an interview! LOL!

I kind of had an interesting experience with MICA. I respect Joan Waltermath ,though , and she told me the truth about how I wouldn't really fit her program (not enough experience- try again next year). She also didn't like my large oil paintings very much  and prefered my gouaches (which I didn't really understand, but I've been trying to look at it without a biased eye and now I sort of understand).

It did seem like she was kind of set against fresh undergraduate students , and that only the rare exception would change her mind. Her interview was by far the most grilling (and it was my first ever interview I've ever had lol!). I would almost not recommend applying there as an undergraduate unless you are unusually active in the art world and more self established .

I am kind of glad that I at least filled out the application and applied there, just because I think that interview really helped prepare me and I learned a lot from it. I also got a boost of confidence cuz she told me the amount of applicants interviewed is about 30 out of 250. :B so yeah it wasn't all bad.

Edited by KSuverkrubbe

I'm curious to see what people have been offered for funding specifically at SFAI and PNCA. Is anyone willing to disclose this info? I'm still in talks with both about finances and I'm hoping to get a better idea of what to aim for.

Edited by valoia

I'm curious to see what people have been offered for funding specifically at SFAI and PNCA. Is anyone willing to disclose this info? I'm still in talks with both about finances and I'm hoping to get a better idea of what to aim for.

Pacific Northwest offered me 13,000 dollars. I rejected their offer outright pretty much though. It's just a drop in the bucket honestly.

@MICAgrad liked one of my Instagram photos today. WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!?

Kelly I wouldn't be surprised if you got in . Your work sort of fits with what I saw in the student work at MICA but I could be wrong.

I don't want to gve you false hope but I could see you at MICA and I think your work is strong enough for you to have a fighting chance.

I interviewed with Hoffberger in 2012 and was waitlisted. I did their portfolio review this November and got great feedback. Took the advice, made a ton of new work, and felt great about my portfolio, but I wasn't invited for an interview this time. I did see that someone in this thread posted that MICA doesn't always interview likely admitted students immediately, but I've heard literally nothing, save for those update emails from Chris. Trying not to get my hopes up.

My mind numbing job is killing me, too. Ugh. Also I have a nasty cold, so I've been pretty all around miserable this week. I just want this to be over.

Thanks for the kind words, KSuverkrubbe. I really appreciate it.

Edited by Kelly Neibert

Does anyone know about funding at MICA? Do they offer nice scholarships/fellowships/whatever, or are they just a drop in the bucket for the rest of the tuition costs?

My interviewer told me outright at the end that MICA's funding is "embarrassing", at least for Mt. Royal though I can't imagine it differs much between schools. I.e., some for all, all for none -- you can expect 20-60% at best out of 45k. But most people get around 1/3rd of tuition I believe...