Fall 2015 Applicants!

Okay guys...This has been the most stressful spring break ever with GradCafe! I have been spending wayyyyy too much time on here over the last week scouring the boards for grad program info! 

GradCafe is a curse and a blessing to know about.

Theres a good chance you'll get a letter from MSUM tomorrow or Monday! I got my letter in the mail today and I'm in town.  :)

I found out I got accepted to the University of Utah today, and I am SO happy! I was convinced a few days ago that I might not get in anywhere and now I have 2 acceptances so just wanted to wish good luck to everyone who is still waiting! The waiting is torture ha. I can't wait to find out about my last few schools so that my husband and I can make a decision, but the U has a great program which I feel like I would be lucky to attend so I will likely accept. No final decision yet though until I hear back from my Oregon and Washington schools. 

Theres a good chance you'll get a letter from MSUM tomorrow or Monday! I got my letter in the mail today and I'm in town.  :)

Thanks for the heads up! I noticed that there was one post on the results page for MSUM and that scared me earlier! Ah, I'm going to be scouting out the mail man tomorrow! I am no postmaster but I am guessing I should be getting something tomorrow since I only live 3 hours from MSUM.  

Congrats on your acceptance! I really thought MSUM seemed great when I interviewed there.

What happens if you accept an offer at one school (since there's the April 15 deadline) and then you get accepted off the waitlist at your favorite program after April 15?

Can you back out after you committed to a program? Is there any kind of etiquette as far as this goes? Sorry if this seems like a silly question. By the way things have been going for me, this scenario could become a reality. I know of one program where people backed out last minute and it was too late for them to accept other students to fill the vacant spots.

No this is a great question! I'm sure there are many people wondering the same. I know I have. I just hadn't gotten around to asking yet. No question is a silly question, right? Thanks for asking. Hope someone knows the answer!

I found out I got accepted to the University of Utah today, and I am SO happy! I was convinced a few days ago that I might not get in anywhere and now I have 2 acceptances so just wanted to wish good luck to everyone who is still waiting! The waiting is torture ha. I can't wait to find out about my last few schools so that my husband and I can make a decision, but the U has a great program which I feel like I would be lucky to attend so I will likely accept. No final decision yet though until I hear back from my Oregon and Washington schools.

Congrats! SLC is one of my favorite cities. You'll love love love it.

What happens if you accept an offer at one school (since there's the April 15 deadline) and then you get accepted off the waitlist at your favorite program after April 15?

Can you back out after you committed to a program? Is there any kind of etiquette as far as this goes? Sorry if this seems like a silly question. By the way things have been going for me, this scenario could become a reality. I know of one program where people backed out last minute and it was too late for them to accept other students to fill the vacant spots.

Just to give you a different perspective, last year when I was applying I became good friend with a program director who said all schools know they will have people back out of their commitment because of getting off a waitlist at a different school.  This program director has a prestigious role with ASHA as well.  Also, at my own school, GVSU, they told us the same that it is expected that people will change their minds even as late as June or July if they get off a waitlist at another school.  So like the other poster said, depends on the school.  And I highly doubt a program will remember your name when it comes to getting jobs int the future with as many names they go through every year.  :)

For those of you wanting to know more about Syracuse....I have close friends in the program who are miserable. Not only is it EXTREMELY expensive..you can get the same education at a much cheaper school, but there is a new structure to the program where this is only the second class using this new structure. It has been said to be extremely disorganized. Since it is a slightly bigger program you are just a face and a number and there are no real personal connections with faculty. You have no say in clinics and the program is largely research based so make sure that is a top interest! I have had such bad communication with the faculty, it is pretty clear they don't care much about their students (even the accepted ones!) and I got into a much cheaper school closer to home. In my opinion it is not worth spending twice as much money for a poor experience! My friends advised me against this program, and from my own personal experiences, I will be attending elsewhere. Good luck in making your decisions everyone! 

Thanks for your responses to my question about the waitlist and accepting offers! It was very helpful! I just received word from my last program that I am on the waitlist there too. I am waitlisted at 3/6 places I applied to.

Also, does anyone know if programs will take people off the waitlist and accept them before April 15? Or, do most programs strictly wait until after the 15th to reevaluate the waitlist and fill the empty spots? I'm guessing this is dependent on programs but I figured I would ask. 

I am really really really hoping I can get off the waitlists. It would be nice if I could know before I decide if I want to commit this other program...I would rather not be rude and accept the offer and then decline it if I get off the waitlists I'm on. Thanks!

Edited by SLPosteriorCricoarytenoid

Since I'm not the only one wondering about syracuse's program (and cant attend the open house) and a few competing statements regarding the program have been posted, I created a facebook group for admitted students called "Syracuse university admitted CSD Students 2015-2017" so potential students can discuss the pros and cons of the program with their potential future classmates and meet one another :-) please join!

Okay guys...This has been the most stressful spring break ever with GradCafe! I have been spending wayyyyy too much time on here over the last week scouring the boards for grad program info! 

GradCafe is a curse and a blessing to know about.

I see you were wait listed at minot.. Did you get an e-mail notifying you?

Thanks for your responses to my question about the waitlist and accepting offers! It was very helpful! I just received word from my last program that I am on the waitlist there too. I am waitlisted at 3/6 places I applied to.

Also, does anyone know if programs will take people off the waitlist and accept them before April 15? Or, do most programs strictly wait until after the 15th to reevaluate the waitlist and fill the empty spots? I'm guessing this is dependent on programs but I figured I would ask. 

I am really really really hoping I can get off the waitlists. It would be nice if I could know before I decide if I want to commit this other program...I would rather not be rude and accept the offer and then decline it if I get off the waitlists I'm on. Thanks!

The language in the UND acceptance response is also a little troublesome. It almost sounds like a strong, legal commitment. I understand your concern

Nope, I just happened to check the portal and it said an official decision was made! There's a link on the portal that leads to the final decision.

Thank you so much! I finally found it and figured it out :)

The language in the UND acceptance response is also a little troublesome. It almost sounds like a strong, legal commitment. I understand your concern

Yeah, I am a little hesitant to commit still. Still weighing the pros and cons of committing there... *sigh* The joys of life-altering decisions...

I feel your pain @Linda_P....4 rejections, 1 waitlist, and out of my four I have yet to hear from I'm expecting rejections across the board :(

I never, ever thought I'd say this, but THANK GOD IT'S MONDAY. This has been the longest weekend EVER. Here's to hoping we all get some good news asap!  :)

I feel your pain @Linda_P....4 rejections, 1 waitlist, and out of my four I have yet to hear from I'm expecting rejections across the board :(

It really sucks, I am still waiting on about 15 schools or so but hope is diminishing. My stats are very similar to yours. This program is too competitive! :(

Since I'm not the only one wondering about syracuse's program (and cant attend the open house) and a few competing statements regarding the program have been posted, I created a facebook group for admitted students called "Syracuse university admitted CSD Students 2015-2017" so potential students can discuss the pros and cons of the program with their potential future classmates and meet one another :-) please join!

Finally! I was beginning to wonder why there was no talk about Syracuse. Accept please :)

Anyone here applying to CSUS? I haven't heard anything from CSUS, SFSU or SJSU.

I applied to these schools. I'm not really expecting a response until April since it seems like that's when people got responses last year.

I applied to these schools. I'm not really expecting a response until April since it seems like that's when people got responses last year.

Bummer. Waiting really sucks...