Fall 2015 Applicants!

Just for kicks, did anyone else do something really stupid on an application? Or am I the only one? Haha. For University of Connecticut, the instructions explicitly say "Observation hours are NOT to be submitted as part of your application." I swear I read the instructions ten times, but apparently did not notice this and uploaded my signed observation hours form, thinking it would add to my application! No idea why they are so adamant about not submitting it, or whether it'll jeopardize my chances. I can laugh about it now that I've already gotten in elsewhere, but if I'd realized I'd done this sooner, I would be stressing out right now!

Just for kicks, did anyone else do something really stupid on an application? Or am I the only one? Haha. For University of Connecticut, the instructions explicitly say "Observation hours are NOT to be submitted as part of your application." I swear I read the instructions ten times, but apparently did not notice this and uploaded my signed observation hours form, thinking it would add to my application! No idea why they are so adamant about not submitting it, or whether it'll jeopardize my chances. I can laugh about it now that I've already gotten in elsewhere, but if I'd realized I'd done this sooner, I would be stressing out right now!

Oh yeah I did...I applied to Western Michigan University and got accepted, but about a week before I was accepted I got an email from the Office of Graduate admissions reminding me my application was incomplete. I wasn't bothered by this, since a few schools who use CSDCAS and have you submit their own graduate application at the time of initial application say that their graduate school might say you have an incomplete app when it's not.

I don't know how I missed it, but turns out, they require you to submit official transcripts to their office of graduate admissions at the time of application. And I hadn't. I checked the department page and yep, indeed it said something like "Official transcripts need to be sent to the Office of Graduate Admissions before January 15th." I was panicking and emailed the department, and thought for sure it would hurt my application. They told me it should be okay to send them still, even though they were over a month late. WMU uses CSDCAS and they have their own application where you submit unofficial transcripts, so it still seems weird to me they'd want official transcripts at the application stage,  but I was convinced I had ruined my chances at admission!

Oh yeah I did...I applied to Western Michigan University and got accepted, but about a week before I was accepted I got an email from the Office of Graduate admissions reminding me my application was incomplete. I wasn't bothered by this, since a few schools who use CSDCAS and have you submit their own graduate application at the time of initial application say that their graduate school might say you have an incomplete app when it's not.

I don't know how I missed it, but turns out, they require you to submit official transcripts to their office of graduate admissions at the time of application. And I hadn't. I checked the department page and yep, indeed it said something like "Official transcripts need to be sent to the Office of Graduate Admissions before January 15th." I was panicking and emailed the department, and thought for sure it would hurt my application. They told me it should be okay to send them still, even though they were over a month late. WMU uses CSDCAS and they have their own application where you submit unofficial transcripts, so it still seems weird to me they'd want official transcripts at the application stage,  but I was convinced I had ruined my chances at admission!

Nice to hear you still got accepted! I applied to 10 schools and they all had such different procedures. Most annoying is when you have to send the same item separately to the Communication Disorders department and the general grad school; it gets hard to keep track. One school even required me to pay the CSDCAS app fee AND their own grad school app fee...  :angry:

Nice to hear you still got accepted! I applied to 10 schools and they all had such different procedures. Most annoying is when you have to send the same item separately to the Communication Disorders department and the general grad school; it gets hard to keep track. One school even required me to pay the CSDCAS app fee AND their own grad school app fee...  :angry:

I thought I had kept such good track. I had a spreadsheet with all my schools, deadline dates, app fees, supplemental apps if they use CSDCAS, official transcripts or not... It slipped through!

Multiple require a CSDCAS fee and their own grad school fee before admission (like WMU) and I really don't understand it. :\ If you're using CSDCAS, you shouldn't have applicants submit your own grad school's application and fee until you admit that applicant, which is how it works for many other schools that use CSDCAS. It just makes us pay more. It's the same reason I believe programs shouldn't require official documents (GRE, transcripts) until they admit you and you decide to enroll. If an applicant lies about something on their application, they'll be discovered once official documents are sent in upon admission. It's just another thing we have to pay for. Some programs do this, some don't. Most of mine didn't and required official documents. :\ That's why CSDCAS is nice, but when schools double up on the application stuff with CSDCAS and their own materials, it eliminates the savings a student could have and ends up costing more...

For some reason the quote function is not working for me right now, but in response to "There is nothing worse than the post interview wait period":  Agreed! There were so many great candidates!  And so many answers that I would have like to rethink and give again... Trying not to panic.

Not helping that the video for an assignment I want to work on tonight is sllllllloooooowwwly loading... Worst distraction ever.

Edited by ckoz84

For some reason the quote function is not working for me right now, but in response to "There is nothing worse than the post interview wait period":  Agreed! There were so many great candidates!  And so many answers that I would have like to rethink and give again... Trying not to panic.

Not helping that the video for an assignment I want to work on tonight is sllllllloooooowwwly loading... Worst distraction ever.

Yes, now I am consumed with all the things I should've said but forgot! Nothing is worse than this wait. It just gives me time to think about how I could've  answered things differently. Everyone who was there definitely deserved to be there. There are some great applicants! 

I have trouble sleeping and trouble not obsessively checking my e-mail & TGC admissions page! One rejection already..invited to do the supp app for Rush...it's nerve-wracking.

ps. LOVE the username  :-P

Thank you!

Just for kicks, did anyone else do something really stupid on an application? Or am I the only one?

Oh man, I could write a book! Lol I was suuuuuper organized and still made mistakes. For one of my schools I didn't pay attention to the word limit and I submitted a letter of intent that was nearly three times longer than what they asked. At another school I didn't send in my official transcripts b/c I had already uploaded them and didn't know we had to do both. You're not alone, trust me!!! Haha

Just for kicks, did anyone else do something really stupid on an application? Or am I the only one? Haha. For University of Connecticut, the instructions explicitly say "Observation hours are NOT to be submitted as part of your application." I swear I read the instructions ten times, but apparently did not notice this and uploaded my signed observation hours form, thinking it would add to my application! No idea why they are so adamant about not submitting it, or whether it'll jeopardize my chances. I can laugh about it now that I've already gotten in elsewhere, but if I'd realized I'd done this sooner, I would be stressing out right now!

For University of the Pacific, I completely forgot to complete the supplemental application (coursework checklist, short video). I only realized my error when it was too late.

For Emerson, I accidentally applied twice. Once through CSDCAS and once through their application. Their application, which was NOT for their CDS program. I meant to call and clarify, but forgot to, until their admissions department emailed me to ask what was going on.

I've been following this thread for a while now, but just decided to go ahead and create an account. Now that people are starting to receive acceptance letters I'm feeling as if i didn't apply to enough schools :(

Anyone apply to programs primarily in the south??

I've been following this thread for a while now, but just decided to go ahead and create an account. Now that people are starting to receive acceptance letters I'm feeling as if i didn't apply to enough schools :(

Me!!! Florida, Georgia, and Mississippi

If you have willing recommenders and an essay ready, U of Rhode Island's deadline is tomorrow (3/1).

Oh, listen to this. 

So two of my schools didn't want me to send official transcripts - they just wanted unofficial ones, and said that the official would be needed if I were to be accepted. So I upload the unofficial docs, only to realize AFTER SUBMITTING MY APPLICATION that the docs open as just blank pages. So there I am, frantically emailing copies to any admissions person whose email I can find and calling over and over, only to figure out that the docs had to be opened with the latest version of Adobe Reader (which, let's be honest, who really updates that regularly? Not me!). It all worked out in the end, and everyone got the transcripts they needed, but it was a very tense few days. I only applied to 4 schools, so a problem of that magnitude with 2 of them was a nightmare. 

Does anyone know how being an out of state student or a Canadian student affects you during the admissions process? Whether you're more or less likely to get in, or whether they actually care?

I'll be a Canadian applicant next year and I'm wondering the same. Which school are you from, if you don't mind sharing?

What did you think of the programs/interviews? :)

They were both very different! MSUM's interview was very brief! It was probably shorter than most job interviews I've had! The interview portion lasted maybe 30 minutes and the tour was about 10. They only asked me around 6 questions, all of which were questions that could be expected for a grad school interview. There were no real curve balls there. A grad student also took me on a tour of the facilities. It was nice! I thought their regional assistive technology center was pretty neat. I felt like the whole time I was on the interview I was comparing their program/facilities to my current institution. But over all, I did like MSUM quite a bit! They have great placements and the grad students there seem pretty happy. 

St. Cloud State is pretty awesome. I currently go here, but I learned quite a bit at the interview. The interviews for SCSU were about four hours long. We got a pretty good idea of the program through the interviews/opportunities to ask questions. SCSU has a very nice clinic area and very caring faculty. The grad student area with computers and tables is also very nice. The questions asked were really unexpected out-of-box type questions. I don't think there was a single one that I had prepared for. Many questions had multiple parts to them. The writing portion of the interview was okay. I am really pulling to get in at SCSU. The wide variety of experiences and faculty are what really impress me! 

Edited by neuronparty

You guys, we did it. We made it to March!!  B)  I'm ready for all of the acceptances to start rolling in now!! 

yes PLEASE! ready to get out of limbo! I keep telling myself that there won't be any point checking the mail until Monday, though, since there's no post on Sundays... D: but soon!