Ever met someone famous?

Kleio_77

Oh and I also met the current Oregon governor and talked to him for a few minutes.

Not sure if this counts as meeting but I saw the Beach Boys several years ago and the Eagles' live performance last year.

This is completely irrelevant, but I love anhingas! They're one of my favorite waterbirds. 

This is completely irrelevant, but I love anhingas! They're one of my favorite waterbirds. 

Haha thanks :) they're one of my favorite birds too (I especially love the way they swim). I wish I could meet some famous birders like Kenn Kaufman or David Sibley!

Oh I forgot, I met Yo-Yo Ma a few years ago in the backstage after his concert. 

I've met a lot of musicians. I've met Josh Turner twice (he signed my guitar and even played a little tune on it) Blake Shelton a few times, Nickel Creek, oh and all the members of Reo Speedwagon.

When I was a waitress at a five star restaurant, we had a lot of CEO's of multinational corporations as regulars. Most of them are complete jerks.

My goal is to meet the current Pope.

I've met a lot of musicians. I've met Josh Turner twice (he signed my guitar and even played a little tune on it) Blake Shelton a few times, Nickel Creek, oh and all the members of Reo Speedwagon.

When I was a waitress at a five star restaurant, we had a lot of CEO's of multinational corporations as regulars. Most of them are complete jerks.

My goal is to meet the current Pope.

I love Nickel Creek! I heard Josh Turner was a really personable person. My aunt met Trisha Yearwood. My mom had her hair done regularly by Vanilla Ice's then-girlfriend in the 1990s. 

Anyway, I've met Sylvia Browne (long story on that one…), Jessica Valenti, three Govs. of my state, and was once in the same room as Sarah, Duchess of York. 

I have this list of people I really appreciate in the world that I never ever want to meet. I know that I would go knock-kneed and clammy-palmed. Margaret Atwood is on that list, as are a few other authors and academics, and famous people. God help me if I ever have to string two words together for anyone on that list. I suppose I'm the opposite to most people, in that sense. I turned down the shot to potentially meet Meg Cabot, and I do regret that, though. 

Although I am sad that I've not met many notable people. Famous people are scare around here. I do also have this problem where I think that random  scholars or speakers are famous, and they're not and people laugh at me. 

Edited by Demeter

I love Nickel Creek! I heard Josh Turner was a really personable person. My aunt met Trisha Yearwood. My mom had her hair done regularly by Vanilla Ice's then-girlfriend in the 1990s. 

Anyway, I've met Sylvia Browne (long story on that one…), Jessica Valenti, three Govs. of my state, and was once in the same room as Sarah, Duchess of York. 

I have this list of people I really appreciate in the world that I never ever want to meet. I know that I would go knock-kneed and clammy-palmed. Margaret Atwood is on that list, as are a few other authors and academics, and famous people. God help me if I ever have to string two words together for anyone on that list. I suppose I'm the opposite to most people, in that sense. I turned down the shot to potentially meet Meg Cabot, and I do regret that, though. 

Although I am sad that I've not met many notable people. Famous people are scare around here. I do also have this problem where I think that random  scholars or speakers are famous, and they're not and people laugh at me. 

Josh was great.  He's kind of dorky, but in a charming way.  Glad to see another NC fan!!!  Also, you turned down...the author of Princess Diaries?  What is wrong with you?  Just kidding :)  And- for what it's worth, I omitted "Mary Dell Chilton" from my first post after realizing most people probably wouldn't know/care who she is, unless they followed agricultural/microbiological science for the last thirty years LOL

Fighting Temptations was filmed in my hometown and in high school I waited tables at the only restaurant. The cast came in several times. I have a menu with autographs from Cuba Gooding Jr., Beyoncé, and Rue McLanahan from one night I was their waitress.

I randomly met Andy Dick in a mall.

My brother in law details Usher's car and I met him several times as a kid--he was such a sweet person.

That's all I've got.

Jerry Remy, the Red Sox announcer. He is so short, that when I went to give him a high-five, I accidentally smacked him in the head somehow.

I've met members of many of my favorite bands, but they're not famous enough, I don't think (unless anyone here likes Saves the Day, Motion City Soundtrack, Valencia, or Say Anything!)

My hometown Walmart was once graced by the presence of Beyonce. I don't know why she came to my weird, small, random town, but she did! I wasn't there, though...

Edited by VulpesZerda

I've met Ursula K. Le Guin at an intimate reading and book signing with 30 people. It was amazing. She is one feisty and awesome old lady and I just can't get over how lovely she was.

Jerry Remy, the Red Sox announcer. He is so short, that when I went to give him a high-five, I accidentally smacked him in the head somehow.

I love the Rem Dawg

edit: Here's another Remy/Orsillo classic: 

Edited by museum_geek

I've met members of many of my favorite bands, but they're not famous enough, I don't think (unless anyone here likes Saves the Day, Motion City Soundtrack, Valencia, or Say Anything!)

My hometown Walmart was once graced by the presence of Beyonce. I don't know why she came to my weird, small, random town, but she did! I wasn't there, though...

Saves the Day is great! Maybe I'm biased, but I would consider them celebrities. 

Saves the Day is great! Maybe I'm biased, but I would consider them celebrities. 

Wooo! They're my absolute favorite. I've met Chris Conley several times over the years and he is so cool. All you gotta do is wait by the tour bus after the show. Stalkerish? Maybe, but it works ;)

Edit: I forgot in my original post, that I had the chance to meet with Suzanne Corkin, the professor who studied patient H.M. (psych nerds, you know!!!)

Edited by VulpesZerda

I've met Jimmy Carter and Mitt Romney, and probably some minor celebrities that I have no idea who they were.  I go to a church with a "celebrity pastor" and honestly, that gets sooo annoying.  We were great friends and neighbors with Danny Ford when their family lived in Clemson. His kids were a little older than me, but the only other kids in the neighborhood I think.  My sister is on a first name basis with Tim Tebow and a lot of the football players at UGA. Also Joe Jonas bought her donuts once. She meets everyone famous.   Just goes up to them and says hi.  A good skill for someone who wants to be in Public Relations.  I am a lot more aloof and not paticularly enamoured with celebrities.  Why would I want to go up to a stranger and introduce myself if I don't have to?

I too also met Kareem Abdul Jamal.  

An ex was good friends with the Def Tones.  I also knew them from around town.  Cake, too.  I knew Nick and Rayzen from !!!, but I don't think they are too popular of a band to count.  The same ex was also friends with Green Day.  Mr. Bungle used to play around Sacramento quite often.  I've met Mike Patton numerous times but it was not until years later when I realized he was the same Mike Patton from Faith No More. 

I met Del and most of the Hieroglyphics crew long before he was famous.  I also knew Sean (Slug) of Atmosphere.  Speaking of Minneapolis, I also know all of the Doom Tree guys (and gal).  

I have also met El P.  

I've met David Saderis and George Carlin when I worked at a theater in Boston.  

Name a professional skateboarder from Nor Cal and I most likely either skateboarded with them or partied with them. 

I've met Ursula K. Le Guin at an intimate reading and book signing with 30 people. It was amazing. She is one feisty and awesome old lady and I just can't get over how lovely she was.

Super jealous.

I forgot to mention that I met Nancy Pelosi when she was Speaker of the House and have an awesome photo with her...I also met Boehner and he smoked cigarettes in his Capitol office, and my coworkers and I joked he probably has a personal tanning bed in his office. 

I too also met Kareem Abdul Jamal.  

An ex was good friends with the Def Tones.  I also knew them from around town.  Cake, too.  I knew Nick and Rayzen from !!!, but I don't think they are too popular of a band to count.  The same ex was also friends with Green Day.  Mr. Bungle used to play around Sacramento quite often.  I've met Mike Patton numerous times but it was not until years later when I realized he was the same Mike Patton from Faith No More. 

I met Del and most of the Hieroglyphics crew long before he was famous.  I also knew Sean (Slug) of Atmosphere.  Speaking of Minneapolis, I also know all of the Doom Tree guys (and gal).  

I have also met El P.  

I've met David Saderis and George Carlin when I worked at a theater in Boston.  

Name a professional skateboarder from Nor Cal and I most likely either skateboarded with them or partied with them. 

Yep. You win.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I will add more... I went to Sasquatch music festival in 2011 and met Foster the People. At the festival I made friends with someone from Spokane who was a huge Bright Eyes fan like myself, so on my drive back to Canada I stopped in his city for a Bright Eyes show and Conor Oberst crowd surfed over top of me. I helped push him along, but if I could meet anyone it would be him. 

I met up with this friend a year or two later in Portland to watch Desaparecidos, one of Conor Oberst's side projects. There was an after party and I met Denver Dalley and Ian McElroy from the band. Denver Dalley and I made friends and we followed one another on instagram. Ian McElroy and I goofed off quite a bit and took lots of pictures, but he kept telling me he was Conor's cousin and I did not believe him. After my trip, my bf, who is also a Bright Eyes and Desaparecidos fan, told me that Ian is actually Conor's cousin. 

Needless to say, no one will care about this post unless they also are crazed Bright Eyes fans. 

Lunch and chat with a Nobel laureate.

Friend of a celebrity chef, who is/was on CBS fairly regularly.

Met Shawne Merriman (with his then-SO) once when he was still playing for the Chargers.

I guess it is not my time yet.

I was in a post office line with Skeet Ulrich once when he was apparently still very well known for Scream.  I had NO idea who he was (had to IMDB his name just now)...but was looking at him out the corner of my eye as he was wearing a very unusual hat that looked as though he had cut the sleeve off a t-shirt and popped in on as a cap.  He was very chatty with the post office clerk who was babbling about a picture in her daughters room.  It was eventually my turn, and when I walked up she said "DO YOU KNOW WHO THAT WAS???"  I said "Your daughter's prom date?"  I was corrected rather vigorously.

That's my closest brush unless you count an almost phone call from Paul Buchanan who was having a drink at the same pub as my now husband.  

Yep. You win.

Unless you were being sarcastic, I don't know about that...I was just some kid with a skateboard into underground music.  I felt like I was stretching it a bit with my list.    

A few years I came up with a list of more prominent celebraties, but for the life of me cannot recall any of them.  

Unless you were being sarcastic, I don't know about that...I was just some kid with a skateboard into underground music.  I felt like I was stretching it a bit with my list.    

A few years I came up with a list of more prominent celebraties, but for the life of me cannot recall any of them.  

No I was serious! El P and Slug are pretty decent MCs. I have Atmosphere's Southsiders in the car and both Run The Jewels albums on my laptop.

• 2 weeks later...