Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

11 hours ago, betwixt&between said:

Received my rejection letter from Brown last Friday, 2/12. It was the only program I applied to, due to mobility constraints this year. Thankfully, I learned an enormous amount of helpful tips for next application season, when I have the ability to expand my radius. Congratulations to all admits everywhere, and for my fellow 'rejects,' we are now forearmed for next year.

I went through one rejection from Brown before I ended up here. It probably sucks right now, but I promise it probably had more to do with the political discussions on the admissions committee than your value as a potential student here. Feel free to reach out as you think about next year :)

3 minutes ago, prosopographer said:

What do you mean by application status? And all the best! fingers crossed for you :)

Thanks! Your online application status. Did it change?

1 minute ago, prosopographer said:

Still just says "submitted" on ApplyWeb. Same thing for my other application that I got rejected for last week. 

Oh I see. I think it will always say "submitted" I was just curious to see if there was a change and a section titled "decision" popped up. There is still hope though!

1 minute ago, prosopographer said:

Still just says "submitted" on ApplyWeb. Same thing for my other application that I got rejected for last week. 

This is a pet peeve of mine.

Why can't they just let people know if they've been accepted or rejected? A tiny bit of kindness goes a long way. :mellow:

@raaawr Hi! This is the thread for prospective history PhDs, so there probably aren't many design applicants here. But good luck!

Yeah, co-signing on the unpredictability of this all and how it can be dependent on funding, departmental politics, phases of the moon, etc. The paradigmatic example in my friend group is a woman who applied to Yale Art History three years in a row and got rejected twice and accepted and enthusiastically welcomed the third time—although I will say that I was rather deeply unappreciative of the many people who kept reminding me of the "it can take three cycles" thing before any of my schools had released decisions. On my part, today I finally got my official rejection from the department at my top choice that I thought was my best fit of all the programs to which I applied. :( This is where being an interdisciplinary little elf works in my favor, though, because I had applied to two departments, they overlap a lot (one is regional studies), and so I still have an offer at my top choice! :) I don't know how you single-discipline types (or interdisciplinary people in fields that are less likely to have institutional support permitting a department in whatever regional/thematic studies area would apply to you) do it, actually—I was dying of anxiety, and I knew I had paid for two chances at my top choice, not just the one!

2 hours ago, Neist said:

This is a pet peeve of mine.

Why can't they just let people know if they've been accepted or rejected? A tiny bit of kindness goes a long way. :mellow:

My schools very promptly emailed me to let me know I was rejected and then sent another rejection via the online portal. So I'm lucky that they're double kind to me. :)

Finally received my first admit (UCSD History / Science Studies)! My research fit is pretty phenomenal and I'm super pumped about my potential committee (2 other scholars whose work I love are in different departments). No more Plan B office job for me!

Edited by nevermind

15 minutes ago, nevermind said:

Finally received my first admit (UCSD History / Science Studies)! My research fit is pretty phenomenal and I'm super pumped about my potential committee (2 other scholars whose work I love are in different departments). No more Plan B office job for me!

That's fantastic. Congratulations!

Just now, insidethesun said:

That's fantastic. Congratulations!

Thanks! I was pretty hopeful due to my conversations with my POI, but after 4 rejections in a row, the self-doubt begins to creep in. It makes the acceptance better (but I wish the funding info was included)!

44 minutes ago, nevermind said:

Congrats, Nevermind! Still hoping we both get admitted to UofO, though!

3 hours ago, DGrayson said:

Anyone know what's going on with Penn? An email from the DGS implies that more people were accepted, but there are only two up on the board. Maybe it's by field?

cohorts aren't as big as they used to be so sometimes only a few are on grad cafe. I know in my application year (2014) they took 10 (at least that is what they told me!) I don't mean to be a downer just trying to provide info!

Also anyone with questions about IU, feel free to be in touch.

Edited by catsandscarves

3 hours ago, nevermind said:

Congratulations! I was really hoping things turned out well for you. :)

25 minutes ago, Neist said:

Congratulations! I was really hoping things turned out well for you. :)

Thanks! My POI told me a couple weeks ago that he'd push for me, but that (I'm paraphrasing) "admissions committees are a lot like horse trading and each faculty member has to make a lot of compromises", so I had a lot of hope, but nothing definite until now! 

9 minutes ago, nevermind said:

Thanks! My POI told me a couple weeks ago that he'd push for me, but that (I'm paraphrasing) "admissions committees are a lot like horse trading and each faculty member has to make a lot of compromises", so I had a lot of hope, but nothing definite until now! 

Congrats on UCSD!

Was it your POI or the DGS who contacted you?

Just now, stillalivetui said:

Congrats on UCSD!

Was it your POI or the DGS who contacted you?

Neither. The student coordinator sent out an email to me with standard congrats + visit day info. FWIW, the email is from the History department. I'm suspecting my POI is waiting on Science Studies confirmation before he contacts me, as it wouldn't make sense to admit me (with my weird research interests) without also admitting me to the science studies program. 

4 hours ago, DGrayson said:

Anyone know what's going on with Penn? An email from the DGS implies that more people were accepted, but there are only two up on the board. Maybe it's by field?

At the interview they told me they're taking 10, spread out across all the geographical focuses. It might still be early, but it might also be because not everyone is lurking around on GradCafe like we are...! 

The DGS also said that the formal email with the $$ package is coming in a few days. So I guess we should expect to see some more news then.