Didnt get accepted now what?

So it’s my second year applying and I didn’t get in! I know my GRE are not great so should I take them again for a 3rd time? I know my over all GPA is low 2.91 but there are several reason for that and I explain it in my letter of intent. My CSD classes are 3.60 GPA. With that said do I try and sign up for some graduate classes to show I’m capable of doing the work?  Or do I spend the rest of the time focusing on my resume? I'm already an SLPA, Highly Qualified special education teacher, Department Chair for special education and volunteer during the summers at a burn camp for kids (something near and dear to my heart).  Thanks for any help.

What have other people done to get accepted the 2nd or 3rd time around?

This is my second year applying as well and as of right now I have been accepted to 1 school, wait listed at 7, and am waiting to hear back from 3. My major GPA was a 3.3 and overall GPA a 3.6. Last year I emailed the schools I got rejected from and they told me to retake the GREs. Since applying last year, I have done countless things to help my resume and increase my chances of getting into school. I spent 4 months on my personal statement, had a complete list of schools of where I was going to apply to by September with a spreadsheet of the deadlines and what was required, and did a lot of volunteering. I'm not sure where you applied, but put a lot of effort into researching the schools where you apply. For me, I looked at schools that didn't require GREs and schools that had "lower stats". It's honestly so hard to know how you're even chosen. I still wonder how I got chose over others, but I would say look at schools that don't require the GREs if yours aren't that great. You can also email schools to find out how many applications they get, how many they accept, and what the typical stats are. I hope some of this helps!

I'm still waiting on 2 schools. 1 waitlist, 4 rejections (2/4 mentioned that my application was strong but they couldn't admit more than they're allowed to). One of the schools I just received a rejection for was near the top of my list. They sent me an email yesterday that my application wasn't included in the review with the other applicants because of a glitch in their system and this morning they sent me a rejection email. I'm a little upset because if they found out yesterday that my application wasn't reviewed yet, but they sent a rejection this morning, then how long did they really spend on my application? This was one of the schools that viewed the applicant as a whole so now I have mixed feelings about this school. I'm not sure I could reapply there after what happened this time.

It's really disheartening how competitive this field is! I wish they would expand their accepted pool of students so their acceptance rates are higher. For a field that's in need of SLPs, they should re-evaluate the admissions process and rates of acceptances in order to meet the needs of the communities.

As for "what's next?", I only hope that my last 2 schools will save me because I honestly don't know what to do (I do have an SLPA license but I'm ready to make the transition from SLPA to SLP). I'm an older applicant and have "placed all of my eggs into this basket." Another year of being in this boat is something I'm not sure I can handle once more (I'm sure many of you will say "if this is truly what you want stick with it", and I agree but this is my second year applying).  :(

I'm still waiting on 2 schools. 1 waitlist, 4 rejections (2/4 mentioned that my application was strong but they couldn't admit more than they're allowed to). One of the schools I just received a rejection for was near the top of my list. They sent me an email yesterday that my application wasn't included in the review with the other applicants because of a glitch in their system and this morning they sent me a rejection email. I'm a little upset because if they found out yesterday that my application wasn't reviewed yet, but they sent a rejection this morning, then how long did they really spend on my application? This was one of the schools that viewed the applicant as a whole so now I have mixed feelings about this school. I'm not sure I could reapply there after what happened this time.

It's really disheartening how competitive this field is! I wish they would expand their accepted pool of students so their acceptance rates are higher. For a field that's in need of SLPs, they should re-evaluate the admissions process and rates of acceptances in order to meet the needs of the communities.

As for "what's next?", I only hope that my last 2 schools will save me because I honestly don't know what to do (I do have an SLPA license but I'm ready to make the transition from SLPA to SLP). I'm an older applicant and have "placed all of my eggs into this basket." Another year of being in this boat is something I'm not sure I can handle once more (I'm sure many of you will say "if this is truly what you want stick with it", and I agree but this is my second year applying). :(

As an older applicant, I understand your frustration. A school sent me a rejection the same day applications were due! I felt the same way you do. I disputed it and the school sent me a crap letter stating not enough seats and other exceptional students. I know for a fact someone with a lower GPA and GRE score got an interview at this school. I ,on the other hand, received an immediate denial.

Edited by Arcanelady27

That's very unfair. I'm curious WHO they recruited. Is there a preference for certain academic backgrounds? Demographics?

I feel this school is very biased. Jettip can dislike this comment but I took prerequisites there. I know what I'm talking about...

Edited by Arcanelady27

As for "what's next?", I only hope that my last 2 schools will save me because I honestly don't know what to do (I do have an SLPA license but I'm ready to make the transition from SLPA to SLP). I'm an older applicant and have "placed all of my eggs into this basket." Another year of being in this boat is something I'm not sure I can handle once more (I'm sure many of you will say "if this is truly what you want stick with it", and I agree but this is my second year applying).  :(

Yes, it's ridiculous how the government and people lament about the lack of speech-language pathologists, but every year, the schools deny so many qualified applicants. (lack of sufficient funding, not enough instructors, insufficient medical placements, blah blah blah.)

Thinking of my Plan B is currently making my head hurt... I would just like to share this link. It's a short article about how a teenage girl wrote a rejection letter to Duke in response to a rejection letter from them. She is my hero and I sort of wish I thought of doing this lol. I also wonder what would happen if I did.

https://gma.yahoo.com/north-carolina-teen-writes-rejection-letter-duke-universitys-160012369--abc-news-topstories.html

I totally resonate with this. I also applied last year and again this year. Though my circumstances are different (I am married, with children and a husband who has a set career so moving out of the area for me to go to grad school isn't an option), I am feeling just as frustrated and annoyed. When I was WL the 1st time I tried to up my application by I doing a lot of work in the field, specifically with Early Intervention since that would be my emphasis in graduate school. I also retook the GRE and received an better score. So for my 2015 application GPA is about 3.60, my GRE is just above the 50% percentile, my volunteer work and actual work in the field is extensive, my LOR are strong and I was WL again!!!!! I have done everything my professors have suggested I do to up my application plus more. I am feeling so upset. My whole families lives are on hold and I feel like I am just waiting for my life to start.

I'm in the same boat as many of you. I am an older student with kids and a husband who cannot just up and move because of his job. I'm working as an SLPA now but ready to move up. I know my GRE/GPA scores are not outstanding but I make up in experiences and qualifications. It’s hard when you get rejection after rejection. Good luck to all of you....maybe 3rd time’s a charm?!?

Is there a major bias among grad schools against older applicants? That scares me as I'll be 40 by the time I finish up the SLPA coursework and master's pre-reqs.

I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life in my 20's and frankly, I wouldn't have had the patience back then to work with special needs kids. It took having a SN child of my own to develop the necessary patience.

If I can get similar GRE scores as I did back as a senior in college that should help, right? I had a 720M, 720V, and 780A that unfortunately are long expired. Looking at the ETS website conversion table that would be a 168V, 156Q, and the new AW section is too different from the old logic puzzles to be at all relevant.

I am also an older student (aged 45) and have been accepted to the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire's part-time online graduate program starting this summer.  Have you considered applying to online Master's programs?  The UW-EC program is 3 years long and only requires 3 one week-long residencies in Eau Claire each summer.  I know this program is not biased against older students as the majority of my fellow cohort members are non-traditional and located all across the country.  Wishing you all the best!!  

y'all are not alone.. I am in the same boat! 2nd time applying... still waiting to hear from 2 schools but so far have been denied by 4, it's not looking good this time around either. I have been an SLP-A for the past 2 years but definitely ready to move on to something more "stable". I am going to try to talk with some professionals in the same field as SLP (I have a friend who's mom is a psychologist and knows a lot of people in the field) to see what other jobs/careers/options are out there. It is frustrating to have to think I need to change my career because these schools don't think I'm "good enough" when I am providing speech therapy every day to my clients.... most of my clients parent's dont even realize i'm an "assistant". 

Hi everyone,

I am wondering all the same questions as you guys! It's my second time applying and I decided to go big and just apply to 25 schools! As of now I have been rejected from almost all .. Wait listed at 4 and still waiting to hear from 4 schools (2 of which did interviews so I'm sure they are rejections!).

I graduated 3 years ago with my bachelors in speech and hearing disorders and have been working at a special needs preschool for 2 years. Unfortunately, NY does not allow SLPAs !!

I don't know what else to do to boost my application... After not getting in last fall I retook the GREs, revised my statement, I even enrolled in a local college to retake undergrad communication classes to boost my GPA which has been successful!! And I currently work in the field!

I am going to start making my list of spring 2016 schools and give it one more try... It is just so stressful :(

In the meantime, some of you mentioned that you are SLPAs, I was wondering how you go about getting your SLPA license and which states you are from? I have the flexibility to move so I figured I could look into it!

Edited by abSLP22

Did you run your letter of intent past any academic professionals? I think if you have a low GPA and GRE, you really need that letter to make you stand out. Explaining why your grades are low is one thing, but how did it actually come across to those reading it? Perhaps it sounded like some long sob story of excuses. I obviously haven't seen your letter, so this is not an accusation, but really think about it. Meanwhile, retake some communication disorders classes so you can show what kind of student you can be now, if you had a hard time with undergrad. Show them you can get As. Don't make that the focus on your letter - make yourself unique. Most everyone applying is passionate for the job, many people have experience with speech therapy changing a loved one's life,  but what can you add to their program that no one else can? It may very well have nothing to do with your SLPA experience at all. And make sure you personalize the essay for them based on their writing prompt and anything special about their individual program.

In the real world results are results. If they have a minimum 3.0 GPA, there's no way to sweet talk your way out of it. Take more classes until you get it up there. Make sure your LORs are stellar. Even if the write thinks you're wonderful, do THEY have the writing skills to convey that in the way that you need them to?

This completely sucks, I know. I'm a returning student who has been through all kinds of career highs and lows. But if you really want something, think outside the box a little and keep fighting for it. And sometimes you have to lower your expectation, and look at schools are states that aren't necessarily your first choice.

Good luck!

Hi everyone!

I'm also an out of field applicant. I graduated from college 4 years ago and decided I wanted to do Speech-Pathology about a year and a half ago. I took the prerecs at my local University and did well. My GRE scores were V-155

Q-150 AW-4. I applied to 4 schools and was rejected from all of them. I called each school and found out the only GPA they considered was my GPA from 4 years ago (3.1). Soooo frustrating!! We are competing with students who knew what they wanted to do from day 1 and have 3.8-4.0 GPAs. I have realized the best thing to do is get a Masters (not another bachelors because schools will average in the other one) and then reapply. I know one person who was also in the same situation and he got a Masters in Special Education, reapplied, & got in the 2nd year.

It's unfortunate that Universitys don't consider our most recent course work over our degrees from years ago, but that is the way it is. Anyways, hope this helps!

Good luck to everyone!

Hi everyone!

I'm also an out of field applicant. I graduated from college 4 years ago and decided I wanted to do Speech-Pathology about a year and a half ago. I took the prerecs at my local University and did well. My GRE scores were V-155

Q-150 AW-4. I applied to 4 schools and was rejected from all of them. I called each school and found out the only GPA they considered was my GPA from 4 years ago (3.1). Soooo frustrating!! We are competing with students who knew what they wanted to do from day 1 and have 3.8-4.0 GPAs. I have realized the best thing to do is get a Masters (not another bachelors because schools will average in the other one) and then reapply. I know one person who was also in the same situation and he got a Masters in Special Education, reapplied, & got in the 2nd year.

It's unfortunate that Universitys don't consider our most recent course work over our degrees from years ago, but that is the way it is. Anyways, hope this helps!

Good luck to everyone!

I hate to tell you a Masters will not help your chances. I have one. It is not really considered. It is an added bonus but does not hold much weight to admissions committees.

In the meantime, some of you mentioned that you are SLPAs, I was wondering how you go about getting your SLPA license and which states you are from? I have the flexibility to move so I figured I could look into it!

I live in California and will be doing the SLPA program at a local community college. Several of the CSU's also have SLPA programs. I looked into Sacramento State but it's a lot more $$$ than the community college since I'd need to do a 2nd bachelor's. If you already have your degree in CSD it would only be 2 courses. Application deadline is April 20th so if you wanted to do that, you'd better hurry!