Social Psychology

shai

I am thinking that the acceptance from Houston might be a fake. I called the secretary and she said she was under the impression that the faculty are still reviewing and that no word has gone out yet.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's a fake. Depending on how each program works, faculty sometimes have the authority to admit on their own and then later inform the graduate secretary to follow up with an official notice. S/he may not know that plans have been arranged yet.

Sorry, I don't mean to be "that" person about it. I suppose it's definitely possible that it's a fake, given some of the recent crap that's been posted on the results search. (Did anyone see that really ignorant one from earlier? *Tsk*)

Edited by jordy

That doesn't necessarily mean it's a fake. Depending on how each program works, faculty sometimes have the authority to admit on their own and then later inform the graduate secretary to follow up with an official notice. S/he may not know that plans have been arranged yet.

Sorry, I don't mean to be "that" person about it. I suppose it's definitely possible that it's a fake, given some of the recent crap that's been posted on the results search. (Did anyone see that really ignorant one from earlier? *Tsk*)

Congrats on accepting the offer from Purdue, Jordy...I guess I can go ahead and scratch my name off the waitlist. Hope you do big things with Dr. Arriaga.

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum (but have been a creeper for a couple of days!). I have seen that people got interviews at NYU and that others got rejections. What does it mean if you received no info? And what about UMASS-Amherst? Their website says to contact POI for interviews b/c they do not usually have interviews for social psych. I am dying of anxiety and don't know whether to call/email/contact etc! And yesterday just HAD to be a holiday, thus no mail.. how rude of the government.

Any info/advice/etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!

Has anyone heard anything from Rutgers or Kent State?

Any info would be appreciated smile.gif

im pretty sure Rutgers is having their interview weekend on Feb.27th. i heard from them early jan. im in social psych btw.

To all the Houston applications, I just received an e-mail from another faculty member who said they were interested in my application because Dr. Raymond (Chip) Knee was not taking students this year.

Was it Dr. Acitelli that contacted you?

Was it Dr. Acitelli that contacted you?

No, I was hoping it would have been because I was originally interested in working with her as well. However, when I contacted her early in the process, she urged me to apply to work with Dr. Knee. The professor that contacted with me was Dr. Lu, who does work in health psychology and is really not a match at all with my research interests. She even said in the email that if I was solely interested in relationship research, then it probably won't be a good fit. But I don't want to pass up an opportunity either. Granted I already have an acceptance, but I am trying to keep all options open

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum (but have been a creeper for a couple of days!). I have seen that people got interviews at NYU and that others got rejections. What does it mean if you received no info? And what about UMASS-Amherst? Their website says to contact POI for interviews b/c they do not usually have interviews for social psych. I am dying of anxiety and don't know whether to call/email/contact etc! And yesterday just HAD to be a holiday, thus no mail.. how rude of the government.

Thank you!!

Re NYU, I am guessing that the student emailed their POI to ask. I also applied to NYU's social psychology program, and I have not heard anything. If you are feeling really anxious, it never hurts to call the grad secretary and ask the status of the admissions process. You don't even necessarily need to give him/her your name. Best of luck!

No, I was hoping it would have been because I was originally interested in working with her as well. However, when I contacted her early in the process, she urged me to apply to work with Dr. Knee. The professor that contacted with me was Dr. Lu, who does work in health psychology and is really not a match at all with my research interests. She even said in the email that if I was solely interested in relationship research, then it probably won't be a good fit. But I don't want to pass up an opportunity either. Granted I already have an acceptance, but I am trying to keep all options open

Well I hate to say this, but that is a relief for me. I applied to work with Dr. Acitelli. Sorry about Dr. Knee not taking students.

Hello everyone,

Thank you!!

I agree that you can call the grad secretary and ask, but you're most likely out. NYU invited 20 people for the social program and they're only going to take about half of them, so the chances that they will hate all of those people and start accepting people they didn't interview is slim to none. A lot of places just don't send out all of their rejections until after they've had their interview day. For your peace of mind, i would just cross NYU off your list.

Has anyone heard anything from Rutgers or Kent State?

Any info would be appreciated smile.gif

I have a friend who is interviewing next week at Kent State. She was contacted the second to last week of January to set up the interview.

Not to sound bitchy or whatever, but if you have an acceptance to a school that would be a better fit for you (because they would actually let you do the research you wanna do), then you should decline this offer so that they can give it to the person that is currently praying for you to turn them down, especially since that's what it sounds like you're going to do eventually. I understand wanting to have options, but it doesn't sound like this offer is actually an option for you, but I could be misunderstanding what you're saying.

Just my $0.02.

So I called the Houston secretary today and had a great moment... I asked if there were any updates and she told me that only 1 prof has told her any names of accepted students. I asked if that professor just happened to be Dr. Acitelli and she said "Yes!" and excitedly asked "Is this Matthew??". Well my name is not Matthew... It was a great way to find out that I was probably not getting an offer from Houston.

So I called the Houston secretary today and had a great moment... I asked if there were any updates and she told me that only 1 prof has told her any names of accepted students. I asked if that professor just happened to be Dr. Acitelli and she said "Yes!" and excitedly asked "Is this Matthew??". Well my name is not Matthew... It was a great way to find out that I was probably not getting an offer from Houston.

@Jlloyd87. At the bottom of my confirmation email (that they sent saying they received stuff) from DePaul the graduate coordinator seemed to leak a couple of names/emails of other candidates. Did you have this? I saw a Depaul listing on the board but not for social. Did you hear from them yet?

Edited by a.arcane

@Jlloyd87. At the bottom of my confirmation email (that they sent saying they received stuff) from DePaul the graduate coordinator seemed to leak a couple of names/emails of other candidates. Did you have this? I saw a Depaul listing on the board but not for social. Did you hear from them yet?

I didn't get the names/emails. Was it like a "talk to other applicants" sort of thing? Was I on that list? It wouldn't be too difficult to try and figure out my email from my sn. I called DePaul yesterday and they said that my application was being reviewed and if I didn't hear anything by the end of February then to call them. When I was in Chicago last spring I visited the campus and they said they typically get about 15 applications and accept 3. They apparently always accept 3.

I didn't get the names/emails. Was it like a "talk to other applicants" sort of thing? Was I on that list? It wouldn't be too difficult to try and figure out my email from my sn. I called DePaul yesterday and they said that my application was being reviewed and if I didn't hear anything by the end of February then to call them. When I was in Chicago last spring I visited the campus and they said they typically get about 15 applications and accept 3. They apparently always accept 3.

It wasn't like "talk to the other applicants." It was like the person wrote the email and had our email addresses in the bottom as she was writing it- but then forgot to erase them after she copied them into the BCC. I don't think you're one of them. Thanks for the update with the phone call. :)

It wasn't like "talk to the other applicants." It was like the person wrote the email and had our email addresses in the bottom as she was writing it- but then forgot to erase them after she copied them into the BCC. I don't think you're one of them. Thanks for the update with the phone call. :)

haha that is pretty funny. how many were on there if you don't mind me asking?