Fulbright 2010-2011

kiwicafe

Just found out that I'm an alternate for a full grant to Argentina. Does anybody know approximately what percentage of applicants are named alternates? Are alternates ranked? How likely is it for me to still get the award? Thanks!

Just found out that I'm an alternate for a full grant to Argentina. Does anybody know approximately what percentage of applicants are named alternates? Are alternates ranked? How likely is it for me to still get the award? Thanks!

Hi mcm,

Based on my experience, I do not believe there is any accurate way to figure out alternate probabilities. It completely varies from country to country. Last year, I was notified that I was ranked second alternate and many people with credible Fulbright experience informed me that my chances of getting the grant were very high; however, the commission (still unsure if it was the host country or US committee) ended up awarding only 9 of the 10 available grants. I feel alternate status is the most difficult to handle. It was an additional two months of unwelcome limbo for me (I obviously didnt get it). My only advice would be to continue life as usual, and if you get promoted to principal status, then celebrate your ass off. I know that's not much for consolation, but that's about all you can do at this point. I hope you do get promoted, but if not, the sting of disappointment will fade with time.

Hi mcm,

Based on my experience, I do not believe there is any accurate way to figure out alternate probabilities. It completely varies from country to country. Last year, I was notified that I was ranked second alternate and many people with credible Fulbright experience informed me that my chances of getting the grant were very high; however, the commission (still unsure if it was the host country or US committee) ended up awarding only 9 of the 10 available grants. I feel alternate status is the most difficult to handle. It was an additional two months of unwelcome limbo for me (I obviously didnt get it). My only advice would be to continue life as usual, and if you get promoted to principal status, then celebrate your ass off. I know that's not much for consolation, but that's about all you can do at this point. I hope you do get promoted, but if not, the sting of disappointment will fade with time.

Thanks, jtb01. How did you find out that you were second alternate? I'd like to know where in the alternate pile I stand...

It's such a confusing feeling, because I'm upset that I didn't get the award, but at least I wasn't rejected. Some people are congratulating me and others are commiserating. Hmm. At least I wasn't flat-out rejected, right?

Thanks, jtb01. How did you find out that you were second alternate? I'd like to know where in the alternate pile I stand...

It's such a confusing feeling, because I'm upset that I didn't get the award, but at least I wasn't rejected. Some people are congratulating me and others are commiserating. Hmm. At least I wasn't flat-out rejected, right?

Based on reading last year's forum thread, it seems like it's pretty rare to get off the "alternate" list. Dozens of people said they were named alternates, but only a couple reported back to say they'd made it through. If I had to guess, it seems like maybe 1 in 10, or less, of a chance.

I would probably assume that you're not going to get it at this point. And, if you do, it'll just be a happy, happy surprise.

Any alternates who do manage to get a grant, make sure to note that on the spreadsheet! That way we'll have some statistics for next year's group (and for our own curiosity).

Here's another link to it :)https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Avu5CeaRG24EdGFXVzh4aUt2ZTFUbTZPdzZiSGRoWUE&hl=en

I needed to submit an address change to IIE (I emailed Jonathan) and I couldn't help asking about perhaps a hint of when we would be notified. He gave a really vague:

"It’s not yet known when the final selection results and clearances will be available. In past years notifications have usually gone out in mid-April."

That sort of makes me feel like decisions for China might be a long way away. Just FYI

so it seems that people have been getting letters to their permanent addresses?

maybe it depends on what date you put down for how long your "current address" will be good for? I definitely remember having to provide a date for that.

Hey anon914,

I am totally bummed that you didn't get the Czech Repubic grant! I was rooting for you! But I'm at least glad that the Czechs got back to you in a timely manner. It was nice talking to you on the Google spreadsheet chat!

Hi all,

I joined the forums after perusing this thread because I just can't taking the waiting anymore, haha.

I'm a finalist for a Full Grant (research) to Ireland - the taught Master's one. I haven't really seen too many people on here from Western Europe besides the Germany people (lucky lucky you all) - any ideas on timing for Ireland?

My second, and perhaps more pressing question, is how exactly they notify us. I got an email telling me that I was a recommended candidate - is it not the same process for the final decisions? I was under the impression that I should be watching my email, but now it seems like I should be watching my mailbox. That said, do I need to tell my parents to keep an eye on my mail at home for me? I'm away at school and now I'm not sure which mailbox the letter would go to...

Help! Before the stress devours me, haha.

Hi all,

I joined the forums after perusing this thread because I just can't taking the waiting anymore, haha.

I'm a finalist for a Full Grant (research) to Ireland - the taught Master's one. I haven't really seen too many people on here from Western Europe besides the Germany people (lucky lucky you all) - any ideas on timing for Ireland?

My second, and perhaps more pressing question, is how exactly they notify us. I got an email telling me that I was a recommended candidate - is it not the same process for the final decisions? I was under the impression that I should be watching my email, but now it seems like I should be watching my mailbox. That said, do I need to tell my parents to keep an eye on my mail at home for me? I'm away at school and now I'm not sure which mailbox the letter would go to...

Help! Before the stress devours me, haha.

bestprtofbelieve -

you should check out the spreadsheet: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Avu5CeaRG24EdGFXVzh4aUt2ZTFUbTZPdzZiSGRoWUE&hl=en

no, it's not the same as finalist notification. most people have been hearing by snail mail.

also, on the spreasheet you will see there are tons of others applying to western europe, although nobody else to Ireland yet. you should add your stats and be the first!

There is one UK person on the spreadsheet; I think would be going to Wales.

Now that so many Europe people are getting responses, I will be irritating and repeat my question about Wednesday mailings -- any indication as to whether letters for European countries are getting sent out only on Wednesdays, as last year, or any weekdays? I'm a full grant applicant for Denmark.

Now that so many Europe people are getting responses, I will be irritating and repeat my question about Wednesday mailings -- any indication as to whether letters for European countries are getting sent out only on Wednesdays, as last year, or any weekdays? I'm a full grant applicant for Denmark.

I don't think there's any way for any of us to answer that question. Either IIE/Rachel would have say yes they mail out on Wednesday's or all of the Europe grantees (Bulgaria, Germany and Austria so far) would need to check the postmarks on their letters to let us know.

To the lurkers on the forum: I completely understand if you wish to stay anonymous, but it would be very helpful to all of us if you could fill out your info on the spreadsheet!

thanks.

bestprtofbelieve -

you should check out the spreadsheet: https://spreadsheets...ZiSGRoWUE&hl=en

no, it's not the same as finalist notification. most people have been hearing by snail mail.

also, on the spreasheet you will see there are tons of others applying to western europe, although nobody else to Ireland yet. you should add your stats and be the first!

There is one UK person on the spreadsheet; I think would be going to Wales.

Thanks for the tip! I did add myself in, and I'll make sure to update if/when I hear anything. I guess the mailbox watch begins...

hi- i applied for a full research grant to germany, and found out today that i am an alternate. the letter was postmarked march 10. anyone familiar with what the chances of an alternate for germany being bumped up? thanks, i've been reading this thread for a month or so.

So - got my rejection letter today from IIE. It came in a white business envelope; the return address was IIE. It was postmarked 10 March 2010, and the letter enclosed was dated the same. Mostly just really disappointed (I mean, spending a year in Prague doing my research would have been truly amazing), but also very relieved that this whole process has some closure. I would seriously be going out of my mind if I were selected as an alternate (sorry, alternates ...).

Best of luck to everyone! This forum has been a really excellent resources, and Sally, the spreadsheet is great. Hopefully next year's applicants (of which I hope to make another showing!) will find it equally helping/assuring :)

So - got my rejection letter today from IIE. It came in a white business envelope; the return address was IIE. It was postmarked 10 March 2010, and the letter enclosed was dated the same. Mostly just really disappointed (I mean, spending a year in Prague doing my research would have been truly amazing), but also very relieved that this whole process has some closure. I would seriously be going out of my mind if I were selected as an alternate (sorry, alternates ...).

Best of luck to everyone! This forum has been a really excellent resources, and Sally, the spreadsheet is great. Hopefully next year's applicants (of which I hope to make another showing!) will find it equally helping/assuring :)

Leah, I'm glad you have closure, but I think they're missing out-- you sound like a great person. Good luck with your next step in life!

Hey guys,

Does anyone who has applied for a Fulbright research grant to India know the current application status? I called the Fulbright office last week and they told me they had no idea.

Waiting anxiously.....

Hey guys,

Does anyone who has applied for a Fulbright research grant to India know the current application status? I called the Fulbright office last week and they told me they had no idea.

Waiting anxiously.....

Hi Pooja,

I'm also a finalist for India. I haven't gotten any sort of notification yet. I live in India and I have several friends who are Fulbrighters here. They've all told me that they received their notification sometime between April 15 -20, which means we have another month of waiting!

I also tried contacting the Fulbright office and they gave me the vague "sometime between now and June" answer.

Good luck!

Rachel

To totally change the topic...

Does anyone know who would qualify as a "dependent" for Fulbright purposes? Does dependent mean like on your taxes, where the person depends on you for their income? Or does it mean any family member who is accompanying you? Would a spouse count as a dependent? What if he/she has their own (limited) source of income?

My live-in boyfriend is planning to come to Spain with me if I get the grant. Right now I'm guessing he wouldn't qualify as a dependent, since we're not married. Although, we plan to get married eventually, anyway, so I was wondering whether we'd qualify for any dependent benefits if we did get married before we leave for Spain. I put him down on my application as my "fiance" and filled out the dependent information about him, because I thought it was worth a shot...

Also, I'm not sure if we'd have to be married for a certain amount of time before he'd be recognized by Fulbright? (I know in the Peace Corps., for example, you have to be married for something like 2 years in order to be treated as a couple through the program.)

If anyone has experience with this, let me know! I am curious... although, I was just planning to wait until I find out if I get the grant before asking Fulbright about it...

-----------------------------------------------------

Edit: Hmmm I was able to find some information out this on the Fulbright Web site. It says:

"Dependents: A dependent is either a spouse or a relative (child, parent, sibling) who is financially dependent on the grantee. No transportation or insurance is provided for dependents. Applicants who plan to take dependents abroad are required, as a condition of the grant, to submit a statement of their ability to finance transportation and, if necessary, maintenance for them. As indicated in the Individual Country Summaries, a small maintenance allowance is provided for accompanying dependents only in certain countries. The balance of maintenance expenses for dependents is the responsibility of the grantee. (An accompanying dependent is one spending at least 80% of the grant period abroad.)

No allowance is provided for any adult dependent who holds a grant from any source.

Applicants should note that local restrictions make employment opportunities for adult dependents very rare."

Still not totally clear on the marriage issue... I am going to assume that we need to be married but it doesn't matter when we were married.

Also, my boyfriend is applying to an ETA-like program run by the Spanish government: http://www.educacion...s/default.shtml

So, I guess if he gets that it would probably be considered a "grant" , which would make him ineligible for dependent perks...

Hmm.... in my program, if you have a dependent you get an extra $400 stipend per month... in the teaching program my boyfriend would make 1000 euros, or about $1350, per month, and health incurance... but he'd have to work. Still, I think the teaching program makes a little more sense tongue.gif

Edited by Sally