Backpacks/Bags

psycgrad37

Any suggestions for someone with a bad back? I used to use messenger bags and such, as I much prefer the look, but they kill my back and shoulders. So I'd like to get a nice, supportive backpack for fall. Adjustable straps would be a plus.  The main issue I run into with backpacks is that I'm tiny, so they often sit too low unless the straps can be adjusted. 

I switched to a rolling briefcase early this year, and it's much easier on my back (though I do have to lift it on/off the bus). I keep a few tote bags inside for additional books and library trips -- and tote bags slide over the collapsible handle. Yay.

I switched to a rolling briefcase early this year, and it's much easier on my back (though I do have to lift it on/off the bus). I keep a few tote bags inside for additional books and library trips -- and tote bags slide over the collapsible handle. Yay.

I hadn't thought about a rolling briefcase.  Thanks for the suggestion! Now I'll have a few options to look into.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm late to this thread by a couple weeks, but messenger bags are something I deeply researched before settling on one, so feel a compelling need to pass on that knowledge. B) 

Backpacks are of course the best for my back, but I found that they caused some of my nicer clothes I'd wear for teaching to pill in the small of the back and at the shoulders. Plus for other followers of "The Professor Is In," the advice "don't wear a backpack!" is a mainstay of Karen Kelsky's spiel re. how to comport yourself as a professional, instead of a sloppy/hapless grad student. I tend to agree with that. I went through a few terrible messenger/computer bags from Target or the like that squeaked or started to tear at seams very quickly.

I really looked into Timbuk2, Fossil, etc. based on some of the earlier threads here. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a Timbuk2 bag twice I'd already customized online, but for that amount of money, I wanted near-perfection. The webbing strap really put me off -- I've had others where that part was much too slippery. The Fossil bags looked a bit too much like fieldwork bags, and very bulgy with lots of side pockets.

I finally found this seller on Etsy and couldn't be happier with my bag. $55 (+ int'l shipping) for a robust canvas bag with neat pockets, and you can request some customization (I asked for non-leather pulls on the zippers, and for a different color combination). They tend to be a bit wider than portrayed in the pics, but I find that minor -- and that it's on me to limit how much I actually carry so that I save my back, and keep the bag looking sleeker.

Backpacks are of course the best for my back, but I found that they caused some of my nicer clothes I'd wear for teaching to pill in the small of the back and at the shoulders. Plus for other followers of "The Professor Is In," the advice "don't wear a backpack!" is a mainstay of Karen Kelsky's spiel re. how to comport yourself as a professional, instead of a sloppy/hapless grad student. I tend to agree with that. I went through a few terrible messenger/computer bags from Target or the like that squeaked or started to tear at seams very quickly.

Like some of Kelsky's other advice, this one has always made me laugh. I use a nice black daypack (Eagle Creek, I think) for every day work stuff. Many of my colleagues carry and use backpacks for their stuff, in no small part because a lot of us walk to work in a hilly area with snow on the ground for 5+ months a year. If you find a nice backpack, you can look like a professional and not a grad student. Plus, Kelsky's advice is totally impractical for those with a bad back/shoulders who just cannot use a messenger or shoulder bag. 

I use a Jansport Right Pack whenever I'm lugging a lot of stuff. I generally don't need to be very professional in my department full of lumberjacks. When I do have the need to look nicer, I carry a Longchamp Le Pliage. Both bags are classics and simple; and they get most of my carrying needs out of the way without needing a convoluted system.

As Fuzzy said, everyone has their own preference. I've noticed the largest amount of variation in bag choice comes down to how professional you want to look, which I why I went with classics. 

This is the bag that I just bought:

http://www.timbuk2.com/d-lux-laptop-messenger-bondage-bag-sleeve/157.html

I picked a messenger bag because they look nice, and are very easy to bike with (give more over the shoulder visibility than backpack). I spent days upon days looking for a bag and ultimately decided on this one. It has a decent amount of pockets for organization, a place to store your phone/wallet without opening the bag, has a well padded laptop compartment in case the bag falls hard, its weatherproof, and it has a zipper on the back to quickly access the laptop and rest of the bag. I'm really excited to use it for school! Just a heads up, this bag in medium was REALLY hard to find. 

• 2 weeks later...

I splurged quite a bit on a new bag for graduate school. I bought a large "softy saddle leather hobo" by Marc by Marc Jacobs. I love it so much and it is big enough for hauling books around. In my defence, I bought it for half price on the haute look website. 

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got a SwissGear laptop backpack. So far I like it a lot. It's the perfect size and well padded. Got it on sale for less than $60 so that was a plus too.

If you can find a backpack without mesh on the back, it won't ruin your clothes like that. I had to hunt for awhile, but High Sierra sells a few. I like it, but it's not exactly professional looking. Most of my professors carry similar looking backpacks though - I don't think people care that much in math.

I've been grad schooling and/or teaching for a while now, so I have a few recommendations.

My favorite backpack: The North Face Surge

Comfy, lots of room, built to last. 

My favorite messenger bag: TimBuk2

Lots of different cuts and patterns, sturdy material. My only regret is not getting a bag with shoulder straps. Always get shoulder straps! 

My favorite fancy bag: Lo & Sons OMG

Beautiful bag, tons of room, lots of compartments, flexibility. Only downside: super expensive. A good thing to put on your wish list (I got mine as a birthday present.)

My favorite fancy bag: Lo & Sons OMG

Beautiful bag, tons of room, lots of compartments, flexibility. Only downside: super expensive. A good thing to put on your wish list (I got mine as a birthday present.)

I was thinking about getting a nice bag as well, and I love that one! That's exactly what I'm looking for.  I don't mind paying more than usual if the quality is good, but that's a little high for me.  I like your idea about the wish list though.  Unfortunately, my birthday has passed, but if someone feels so inclined to surprise me with a gift, who am I to discourage them? ;)

If you can find a backpack without mesh on the back, it won't ruin your clothes like that. I had to hunt for awhile, but High Sierra sells a few. I like it, but it's not exactly professional looking. Most of my professors carry similar looking backpacks though - I don't think people care that much in math.

(emphasis added). I'm sure different fields have different norms, but I just want to point out that, whether fair or not, expectations on professors and students are not the same. Just because it's okay for a professor to do something at a conference does not mean that a grad student will be accepted doing the same. And, in addition, maybe the professors are being judged negatively for wearing backpacks but since they are professors, they don't need to worry about that :P

(emphasis added). I'm sure different fields have different norms, but I just want to point out that, whether fair or not, expectations on professors and students are not the same. Just because it's okay for a professor to do something at a conference does not mean that a grad student will be accepted doing the same. And, in addition, maybe the professors are being judged negatively for wearing backpacks but since they are professors, they don't need to worry about that :P

Fair enough, but I'll clarify: most people in my department, at all levels, wear backpacks or backpack-style messenger bags (that is, those that don't look any more 'professional' than a backpack anyway). Some people don't even wear shoes or socks around the department, so I don't think wearing a backpack raises any eyebrows. I have seen attire is generally the same at conferences and open houses as well. I think math is just casual, generally. Or maybe I'm being judged for my attire and am clueless about it :)

I don't really see how a presentable backpack is any less professional than a presentable messenger bag anyway. 

@Rising_star

Right? I don't particularly like how backpacks look, even the nice-ish ones, but as someone who's had three spinal surgeries with potentially more down the pike, that bit of Kelsky's advice can particularly go lick a cactus.

OK, despite rather liking/admiring Kelsky myself (she's been invited to speak at my institution twice), I laughed at that.

This is good to know. I did not admit in my post that I revert to backpack on days I bike to campus (something I started doing only recently). But for conferences/job talks, I really make the effort to pare down to a messenger bag. I often pay for coat/bag check, too. I don't know WHERE all the stuff creeps in, but I'm really prone to the bag-lady look if I'm not vigilant at conferences.

Although a lot of attendees at the conferences I go to tend to wear full-field gear attire, including expensive outdoor brands and zip-off pants...like they are about to go stride up the mountain. May I could get my own alpinist backpack and embrace the look.  B)

• 3 weeks later...

I personally like Chrome bags just for the sake of durability. When I was in undergrad, I had a plain Jansport backpack for a year but had to switch because it would literally get soaked in the rain on my walks to and from train stops and buses-- like, literally my papers getting wet inside. This is in the Pacific NW where I'm from, so this is standard. Waterproofing was the big selling point on the Chrome bags, but they do well in any harsh weather.

I'm relocating to NYC for my graduate program, and am going to get a new Chrome bag before I leave. I've settled on this one— It has a removable laptop sleeve built into it which is really nice. I can't do messenger bags. I had surgery several years ago, during which they removed part of my muscle in my shoulder, so my right side is weak and carrying a single-strap bag over either shoulder is really uncomfortable, almost unbearable.

I'm trying to pinch my pennies over the next couple of weeks, but I really need to get a new bag-- my old one has worn out velcro and has taken an overall good beating over the past few years. I'd like to have something new for the start of my program, as silly and materialistic as that sounds.

Edited by drownsoda

I have something like this and it has lasted me many years now: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/targus-tanc-laptop-backpack-black/8848527.p?id=1219371611317&skuId=8848527

The exact model I have is no longer available though. 

The factors that I care about for these bags are:

1. Padded laptop compartment

2. Padded shoulder straps

3. Extra clasp that goes around your waist (like a hiking backpack) that you can use when it's really heavy

4. Side pockets for water bottles that are zippered (ideally, like my current bag, you can use them both as a zippered pocket or not

Extra bonus for my current bag is that there is one pocket for your lunch--it's lined with the lunchbag material to help maintain temperature. But also nice that it's waterproof so I don't have to worry about my lunch spilling into my books or laptop!

Ultimately though, I rarely use my backpack since I don't take my computer to work and all of my books are stored in my office. I mostly use it to carry lunch, a few papers, etc.

I'm toting an old-school Targus!! (7-ish years old, but still modernish, I think! It has room for my laptop and books and pens, anyway!!!*^^* Woohoo, solidarity!!!*^^* ;-)

I've been very happy thus far, it seems to handle the weight evenly, which back-support is becoming more important for me, as I consider more of wholistic health. But I'll have to let you know, as the year progresses. So far, so good, though!

Edited by angel_kaye13

• 6 months later...

I'm sure different fields have different norms, but I just want to point out that, whether fair or not, expectations on professors and students are not the same. Just because it's okay for a professor to do something at a conference does not mean that a grad student will be accepted doing the same.

True, but wearing a backpack is not one of those things. Seriously, in academia nobody cares if you carry a backpack.

FWIW, I have moved into a non-academic field but now I carry a messenger-style work bag every day (I don't have that much to carry around anymore - just my laptop, a notebook, and a few personal effects). I got it from Lo & Sons; it's called the Brookline. It has excellent features: made of nylon and so resistant to staining; a back pocket that unzips to become a trolley sleeve; copious pockets for storing different types of things. It's also bigger than it looks - it maintains a pretty slim and professional appearance while carrying a lot. (One might even say it's bigger on the inside.) It also has a pretty sturdy crossbody strap and a set of leather handles to carry it by hand should you want to. It's a bit pricy, but the L&S website has sales all the time so I would wait for one of those to come along. It's normally $198 but I bought mine for around $130-140.

For those of you who like a more upright bag, look at the TT from the same designer. I originally found out about the brand from a coworker who was carrying the TT at work. It's also a laptop tote but it's long instead of wide.

But even here, in my Corporate Environment...my boss's boss and many of my coworkers still carry around bookbags. And some of them I'm quite certain they've had since their own graduate school days.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2015 at 0:00 AM, CBclone said:

I've had a Dakine 25L pack w/ hydration reservoir for 4 years now as my every day work backpack (I currently instruct in outdoor adventure recreation) and my cross country mountain bike pack. If it wasn't so beat up from daily abuse, dirt, and the occasional fall onto it, I'd love to use it for school. It has an expandable front pouch (great for stuffing a layer), an external water bottle pouch (perfect size for my 32oz nalgene), a small external zipper pocket, a few internal compartment pouches, and 2 big compartments. I love it and am sad to be moving it into retirement but agree that many of Dakine's packs would be great for school.

I'm looking at the Patagonia Black Hole series of backpacks. Last year's 25 has the side compression straps and small waist strap (both plusses) but no external water bottle pouch. This year's 25 has the water bottle pouch but no side straps or waist straps. Sigh. The 32 is tempting as well, with it's fold down closure that seems a little more water resistant than the others in the line and has a waist strap, but again - no water bottle pouch. I always have a 32oz Nalgene with me. Maybe the stealth zipper pouch behind the daisy chain would hold a bottle. http://www.patagonia.com/us/shop/luggage-black-hole-bags?k=1G-arWhile the blue color is attractive, I'd probably get a black bag for the professional look. Big plus to these is they're pretty water resistant and rugged, as I've had friends and co-workers use them every day biking, hiking, camping, etc. and they look good as new almost a year later. 

I'm still reading, so many apologies if someone else has already addressed this. I carry a 40oz Hydro Flask- it's bigger than other water bottles I've owned, but I love it because it keeps my water cold all day. I solved the pocket problem by using a carabiner clipped to the strap, so the bottle hangs but is still mostly out of the way. Don't sacrifice a waist strap for a bottle pocket! 

I ended up getting an Osprey Questa pack (and a 40oz Hydroflask of my own!) and the water bottle fits in the pockets just fine. It's been in and out of the side pockets everyday since I started school in August and they aren't stretched/worn out at all. 

I just dropped some $$ on a black Herschel Lil America bag.  It's HUGE (with 15" laptop slot) and super good quality.  I hadn't had a new backpack since freshman year of high school, a Jansport I used all through high school, college, and a little bit in the real world.  It's nice to throw out that dirty, hole-y thing for a durable, mature looking bag! :D