Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

Is anyone else applying to the BSW at Dalhousie or has anyone ever taken the online BSW? I am really excited about the application that I just submitted for this program. I think it was by far my best personal statement. I wish my Laurier personal statement was a little better..but what can you do? ahah

I'm not sure if following this forum is going to be a blessing or complete torture!!! 

I'm feeling a little (a lot) worried that I've put all my eggs in one teeny tiny basket. I see a couple people have applied to the 2 year program at Waterloo. I've been trying to piece together when decisions are made. Is March/April correct? If so, how the hell do I make it until then?! And why isn't this information preventing me from checking my quest account 50 million times a day?! 

??

13 hours ago, CB_MSW said:

I'm not sure if following this forum is going to be a blessing or complete torture!!!

I'm feeling a little (a lot) worried that I've put all my eggs in one teeny tiny basket. I see a couple people have applied to the 2 year program at Waterloo. I've been trying to piece together when decisions are made. Is March/April correct? If so, how the hell do I make it until then?! And why isn't this information preventing me from checking my quest account 50 million times a day?!

??

I called on Thursday, and the lady I spoke with on the phone told me April. I feel like that is absurd, last year people heard in Feb. She also told me that all acceptances (1 and 2 year) go out at the same time.

15 minutes ago, rmiller said:

I called on Thursday, and the lady I spoke with on the phone told me April. I feel like that is absurd, last year people heard in Feb. She also told me that all acceptances (1 and 2 year) go out at the same time.

Thanks for the information.

April is forever away (and so so close to the week we would have to be there in August!!)

3 minutes ago, rachberks said:

Anyone know when 2 year MSW acceptances for U of T started to roll in last year? I never paid attention to last year's forum and theres too many pages for me to dig through

I have a friend who was accepted to the 2 year MSW at U of T last year and he got his acceptance some time in March last year, but said he knows people who didn't get their acceptance til April and May

1 hour ago, rachberks said:

Anyone know when 2 year MSW acceptances for U of T started to roll in last year? I never paid attention to last year's forum and theres too many pages for me to dig through

I was accepted on first day of acceptances and it was March 13th. U of T office said this year will be around the same time for first wave.

This may be an odd question for this place, but I was wondering if anyone is willing to share their strategy for financially affording grad school? I'm really interested in UofT, but their tuition appears to be about $10 000 a year, and the OSAP estimator is indicating that I will only receive about $13 000 of funding. Even with working in the summer, it seems like it would be pretty difficult to live off of that. 

53 minutes ago, Dani4 said:

This may be an odd question for this place, but I was wondering if anyone is willing to share their strategy for financially affording grad school? I'm really interested in UofT, but their tuition appears to be about $10 000 a year, and the OSAP estimator is indicating that I will only receive about $13 000 of funding. Even with working in the summer, it seems like it would be pretty difficult to live off of that. 

UofT has some scholarship options where you can GA they automatically consider you for it. But you can also apply for one when you're in school or work as a research assistant. They usually call for 5-10 hours a week so it is manageable. Idk if you have your BSW, but a lot places higher grads who are working a summer students and pay well over 18 an hour so you can check that out as well. 

Also forgot to mention that if youre interested in more affordable housing there are co-ops for grad students where you can pay 500-700 a month which is considerably cheaper than any student housing! Here's a link: http://www.campus.coop/

Edited by sosocialworker

3 hours ago, CalendarGirl said:

Is this waiting game killing anyone else? I am having a really hard time focusing on my current semester :(I hope to hear something soon but I know that is probably unrealistic...

I'm definitely having a hard time focusing on my classes this semester. We're in the same boat! It's hard but you have to somehow not focus on the future because what I'm telling myself is that if I don't get in, my GPA is at stake with these classes so I'll regret not trying my hardest or remaining focused. 

Edited by rachberks

1 minute ago, rachberks said:

I'm definitely having a hard time focusing on my classes this semester. We're in the same boat! It's hard but you have to somehow not focus on the future because what I'm telling myself is that if I don't get in, my GPA is at stake with these classes so I'll regret not trying my hardest or remaining focused. 

omg exactly. Thank you so much for understanding! I am totally annoying my friends and family with these thoughts... its wild. But yes, you are totally right. We NEED to focus on this semester, the here and now. Maybe we should just forget about it until April? Anything we hear earlier is just a pleasant surprise!! What are you applying for? PS. if anyone else is applying for the 1 year BSW at Waterloo, applications are being reviewed as we speak.

37 minutes ago, CalendarGirl said:

omg exactly. Thank you so much for understanding! I am totally annoying my friends and family with these thoughts... its wild. But yes, you are totally right. We NEED to focus on this semester, the here and now. Maybe we should just forget about it until April? Anything we hear earlier is just a pleasant surprise!! What are you applying for? PS. if anyone else is applying for the 1 year BSW at Waterloo, applications are being reviewed as we speak.

I've only applied to the 2 year MSW at U of T. The program pretty much fits my interests perfectly, and i've applied to collaborate in Addiction Studies, which is the area I wish to pursue after graduation. People heard back in mid-march last year so until then I think i'm going to try my best to forget about it. I have 2 courses plus the second half of my honours thesis to worry about right now (all the data analysis and fun stuff). It's nice to know you're not alone in these things!! 

Best of luck to you :)

4 minutes ago, AMathPerson said:

I have applied to 1 year masters in mathematics can someone tell me when do you normally get the acceptance ?? I am international student who is studying in Canada.

Hi this is a forum for Masters in Social Work not for Math.Search this site for a Math one. 

On Tuesday, February 16, 2016 at 10:23 AM, rmiller said:

So do you know people who got acceptances from Waterloo in the past? I really don't know what my chances are and now I'm feeling nervous having put all my eggs in one basket.  I likely have less work experience than many applicants.  I was really hoping to find out in March (or sooner) as I don't want to wait until April!!

14 hours ago, caitiko said:

So do you know people who got acceptances from Waterloo in the past? I really don't know what my chances are and now I'm feeling nervous having put all my eggs in one basket.  I likely have less work experience than many applicants.  I was really hoping to find out in March (or sooner) as I don't want to wait until April!!

I only know one person who has taken the msw at waterloo. She did out-patient counselling and ran the DBT program at our hospital for 10 years before doing her masters. So I don't really think there is a comparrsion to be done there.

Hey everyone, and congratulations on your acceptances!! I am so thrilled for everyone who was accepted to the advanced-standing programs. 

I am still waiting to hear from Ryerson, York, and Waterloo for the advanced-standing programs. I know Ryerson will start sending out their responses early to mid March, I am starting to feel anxious now and kicking myself a little for not applying to u of t! Does anyone know when York or Waterloo advanced standing acceptances start rolling in?

I originally thought I applied to the University of Calgary (clinical stream) - but I checked on my application today and as it turns out, one of my references didn't complete the form. I don't know how I missed that on my status. I called the school today, and essentially they didn't even look at my application - its like I never applied. I feel incredibly frustrated as my referee said he completed the form (he completed my York form very early) and there were other apps going on so I didn't confirm online. I feel frustrated with myself for not being more diligent with my U of C app like I was with my other applications. I was trying to avoid being obsessive about checking the status of my applications and being on Grad Cafe, but it has not worked out well for me. I know a reference is our responsibility, but I also feel like my application should have been reviewed and I should have had points taken away for not having my second reference, as opposed to it not being reviewed at all. I am not sure if I am placing blame elsewhere or if I am justified to feel this way, but I am both frustrated with myself and also the frustrated with the school for not even taking a look at the remainder of my application (but I am mainly frustrated with myself). 

Anyway, I wish everyone else luck, I guess I just needed to vent/express my thoughts and also leave a reminder to all to be diligent and not take anyone's word for it in this process. 

Hi KatRousi,

I totally feel your pain. I feel as if schools expect us to be perfect and do everything right while giving us very little lee-way to be human. I think that they definitely should have informed you that your referee did not submit the form. Maybe it was even a mistake on their end? With the system? Could you ask your referee to e-mail them if they said that they did submit it? IF your referee could verify maybe they would look at your application?

I totally know how you feel though, I feel as if my luck with applications has been horrible. I feel as if I have been messing up at least once on each application. From what I have experienced schools are sometimes willing to make exceptions if you state your case. So maybe it would be worth a try getting your referee to talk to the school. Definitely double check all of your documents for other schools and if you see any problems contact them immediately!

Edited by CalendarGirl

17 minutes ago, CalendarGirl said:

Hi KatRousi,

I totally feel your pain. I feel as if schools expect us to be perfect and do everything right while giving us very little lee-way to be human. I think that they definitely should have informed you that your referee did not submit the form. Maybe it was even a mistake on their end? With the system? Could you ask your referee to e-mail them if they said that they did submit it? IF your referee could verify maybe they would look at your application?

I totally know how you feel though, I feel as if my luck with applications has been horrible. I feel as if I have been messing up at least once on each application. From what I have experienced schools are sometimes willing to make exceptions if you state your case. So maybe it would be worth a try getting your referee to talk to the school. Definitely double check all of your documents for other schools and if you see any problems contact them immediately!

Thank you so much for your response, CalendarGirl! It made me feel a lot better. I understand the application process is long for the schools and its an easy way to eliminate candidates - however I am human and I made an error in not being diligent. It frustrates me that I sent in all of the other documents on time, it was a mistake on my referees part after several correspondences outlining dates the forms were due. It has happened before when I applied to Carleton, my referee sent my u of t reference to Carleton by mistake and they informed me about it which gave me time to rectify it. It would have been wonderful if I received a message from Calgary as well, but some schools are more understanding than others.

I  tried to state my case on the phone this morning, but the person I spoke to was very firm in their answer. I may try to formulate a more concrete case tonight and try and call tomorrow, but acceptances have already been sent out so I don't think there is anything they can do at this point. I find social work departments are more human in their approach to applications than many other streams, but it depends on the school and faculty (my experience with Lakehead was incredible in that regard, so maybe I expected the same?). She said I wasn't the only one this happened to and that it doesn't matter if he thought he sent the form, they never received it and its their policy to not review an application that is incomplete. 

Thank you so very much for your support either way! I have been upset with myself all morning and it means a lot to hear someone else remind me that I am human and that these things happen. This is the first time I have had any problems with an application, I am usually so on top of my app game, but it happens. 

Good luck to you on all of your applications! 

1 hour ago, Dani4 said:

Hi there!
Does anyone happen to know the tuition cost for Lakehead's HBSW program? I can't seem to find any info on their website :/

Thanks!

Its about $12,500. I am just finishing up the program. It is honestly as much as masters. But then again it is 12 months long.

On 2016-02-13 at 11:10 PM, LP3 said:

Hey LP3,

I  am also applying to Laurier and also have less experience than what they are after :( Only by100 hours!!! It is really difficult to get soo  many hours. Your experience does sound pretty diverse and original though! I am also having a really hard time not selling myself short because of my lack of hours, but i would hope if we are the right people for the school they will make exceptions!

Best of luck with your applications!

On 2016-02-13 at 11:10 PM, LP3 said:

Since we are sharing experience... I'll share a bit about myself. 

Volunteered at a homeless community drop in centre for 1 year- roughly 500 hours.

1000 hours from my practicum at a community development agency. 

Currently working full time at an immigration agency,  plus running programs for refugee and Immigrant high school youth. My total hours on the application are less than what Laurier recommends but I wanted to try again anyways! 

My plans (if not accepted) are to teach abroad for a while, or continue my current position and study Arabic to hopefully pursue more immigration careers. 

Good luck to everyone else currently waiting it out,  and congrats to those already accepted! :)