DAAD Applicants for 2016-17

Horb

8 minutes ago, Veronica germany said:

PhD research grant, status : Rejected, No correspondence either from portal or mail since monday or tuesday when i noticed that sudden change from submitted to rejected .

any one here to help out?

As I said before, someone previously mentioned it taking up to 7 business days to get the letter. You'll just have to be patient unfortunately.

Veronica, none of us know more than you do at this point. You just have to sit tight and wait for a proper notification. The staffers in Bonn who are responsible for your home country/region will most likely get around to it next week.  

13 minutes ago, x\/x\/x said:

Veronica, none of us know more than you do at this point. You just have to sit tight and wait for a proper notification. The staffers in Bonn who are responsible for your home country/region will most likely get around to it next week.  

well I am at this point really confused but I do not want to extend my confusion into the next steps or plan B for my life and career. please  If there  are other funding possibilities that I might qualify for with the following criteria: a PhD candidate, female, from developing country, Already admitted to do a doctoral programme into state university in Gemrnay but no funds to continue. PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO SHARE.

TIA . There should be life after DAAD Rejection

Edited by Veronica germany

30 minutes ago, Veronica germany said:

well I am at this point really confused but I do not want to extend my confusion into the next steps or plan B for my life and career. please  If there  are other funding possibilities that I might qualify for with the following criteria: a PhD candidate, female, from developing country, Already admitted to do a doctoral programme into state university in Gemrnay but no funds to continue. PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO SHARE.

TIA . There should be life after DAAD Rejection

What are you confused about regarding Daad?

I hope everyone had a good Easter weekend!

Does anyone know if there's a chance that we'll hear results tomorrow, or is Easter Monday also a holiday in Germany?

3 minutes ago, abreak said:

Does anyone know if there's a chance that we'll hear results tomorrow, or is Easter Monday also a holiday in Germany?

I believe someone said earlier it is a holiday. 

7 hours ago, abreak said:

If results are being determined in Germany, which I believe they are, you won't hear from them tomorrow. Monday is a holiday.

All offices of the "German House" in NYC (DAAD, German Mission to the UN, German Consulate, et. al.) are closed today as well. 

FWIW I was told that selection for American candidates (at least the research grant) actually took place in NYC...

I have got the letter a week after the rejection:

Dear Mr. XXXXX, your application has been thoroughly reviewed by the DAAD’s Selection Committee on which professors work in an honorary capacity. It has assessed your application documents and gained an impression on the basis of a personal interview. We regret to inform you that the committee decided not to award you a scholarship. The Selection Committee had to decide between 272 applications and was able to award 23 scholarships. The number of qualified applications usually exceeds the number of available scholarships. Negative decisions do not always mean the committee considers the applicant to be unsuitable for the scholarship, but initially only that other applicants have been rated more highly in the given competitive situation. It is the DAAD’s policy not to give detailed information on the reasons that led to this decision. Please be assured that the selection committee members gave full and due consideration to all relevant aspects contained in your application and in those submitted by other candidates. The committee gives high priority to the applicant’s academic qualifications (including the requisite language skills) and to the quality, preparation and feasibility of the study or research proposal. We hope that this disappointing decision will not discourage you from looking for other ways to carry out your project. Yours sincerely, Kai Franke Head of Section

4 hours ago, x\/x\/x said:

All offices of the "German House" in NYC (DAAD, German Mission to the UN, German Consulate, et. al.) are closed today as well. 

FWIW I was told that selection for American candidates (at least the research grant) actually took place in NYC...

I emailed was told it was determined in Bonn  ( they update the portal) but New York Emailed us last year after Bonn sent them the results. So who knows!

3 minutes ago, Horb said:

I emailed was told it was determined in Bonn  ( they update the portal) but New York Emailed us last year after Bonn sent them the results. So who knows!

Yeah, it seems to be umgekehrt this year, as the notification letter was written by Bonn staffers and posted on the portal. NYC told me they selected, but Bonn handles everything else in terms of processing/notification. In any case, the back and forth seems to delay things considerably :(

40 minutes ago, x\/x\/x said:

Yeah, it seems to be umgekehrt this year, as the notification letter was written by Bonn staffers and posted on the portal. NYC told me they selected, but Bonn handles everything else in terms of processing/notification. In any case, the back and forth seems to delay things considerably :(

Wow. They must have changed it considerably. Before, I recall Bonn doing the selection (hence NYC not knowing when they would have results nor having access to the portal) and NYC notifying. Perhaps this year NYC selects, Bonn confirms, updates the portal, and that is the end of it? 

3 hours ago, sapientisat said:

I have got the letter a week after the rejection:

Dear Mr. XXXXX, your application has been thoroughly reviewed by the DAAD’s Selection Committee on which professors work in an honorary capacity. It has assessed your application documents and gained an impression on the basis of a personal interview. We regret to inform you that the committee decided not to award you a scholarship. The Selection Committee had to decide between 272 applications and was able to award 23 scholarships. The number of qualified applications usually exceeds the number of available scholarships. Negative decisions do not always mean the committee considers the applicant to be unsuitable for the scholarship, but initially only that other applicants have been rated more highly in the given competitive situation. It is the DAAD’s policy not to give detailed information on the reasons that led to this decision. Please be assured that the selection committee members gave full and due consideration to all relevant aspects contained in your application and in those submitted by other candidates. The committee gives high priority to the applicant’s academic qualifications (including the requisite language skills) and to the quality, preparation and feasibility of the study or research proposal. We hope that this disappointing decision will not discourage you from looking for other ways to carry out your project. Yours sincerely, Kai Franke Head of Section

23/272 = 8.4% chance of getting it. That's miserable.

Which scholarship was this?

25 minutes ago, s3v said:

23/272 = 8.4% chance of getting it. That's miserable.

Which scholarship was this?

I've actually applied for things with worse odds. Is it sad that this makes me happy?

3 hours ago, sapientisat said:

The Selection Committee had to decide between 272 applications and was able to award 23 scholarships.

Wow, those are some pretty rough odds!

13 minutes ago, Horb said:

I've actually applied for things with worse odds. Is it sad that this makes me happy?

How do you know what the odds are for the language grant? What are they exactly?

23 minutes ago, abreak said:

Wow, those are some pretty rough odds!

How do you know what the odds are for the language grant? What are they exactly?

Oh, I don't for the language grant. I meant the one posted above. I've applied for other fellowships with 1% odds, so 8% seems glorious to me.

17 minutes ago, aynrand said:

Hello everyone! Good luck to all of us! On a related note, do you think it is worth contacting DAAD via the messaging system on the portal? I emailed the DAAD office in my country but no reply yet. 

Via DAAD portal they usually answer within 1 day.

1 hour ago, eigthy said:

Via DAAD portal they usually answer within 1 day.

I messaged in November via the portal about a technical issue and still haven't gotten a message regarding it. 

2 hours ago, Horb said:

I messaged in November via the portal about a technical issue and still haven't gotten a message regarding it. 

That's weird. I have sent email two times and both times have got answer within a day.

2 hours ago, Horb said:

I got answers within 1 day as well, even before funding