HGSE 2016

aina7

11 hours ago, Heaslch09 said:

So here's my rundown with a decision date approaching.  I was accepted into the EPM program, offered $15,000 grant, $5,000 work study and $20,000 in loans.  I have about $3,000 in my savings account (It's hard enough making ends meet teaching part time) to make the move to Boston. So assuming costs to live in Boston for a year in addition to tuition, I'd have to take out conservatively around another $25,000 or so in private loans to finance my degree. So I'd be adding on $45,000 to the $40,000 I have in loans for my undergraduate degree. My friends, family and former professors all have wildly different opinions on whether $85,000 is a responsible amount of debt to be taking on. They say you shouldn't have more student loan debt than you'll make a year, and I can't imagine starting at $85,000 with just an Ed.M., even if the degree can ensure me a job. Is anyone else in a similar position? I just feel totally dejected.  I'd love to go to Harvard, but I think financially it makes more sense to stay and try to find a full time teaching job in my area. 

One other thing to consider is the sector that you plan to work in long-term. There are loan forgiveness programs for teachers and folks who work in public service. Of course these programs are for federal loans. https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service 

On Monday, I went to the Open House for Admitted Students. I honestly found a lot of it to be a repetition of the HGSE website and therefore boring. However, it was great to be in Cambridge with my SO and confirm that HGSE is a good decision for me. I only have three noteworthy things to share with you all:

• At the Fin. Aid session, the speaker mentioned something really important. He said that HGSE does not include Federal Grad Plus Loans in your fin. aid package while most other universities do. He said that a majority of HGSE students take out Grad Plus Loans, but that HGSE does not include these in your fin. aid package because they are not guaranteed; you have to pass a credit check in order to be approved for Grad Plus Loans. He said almost everyone qualifies, but they don't want to you to depend on that loan without reckoning with the eligibility requirements (i.e. credit check). Grad Plus Loan applications start July 1st via studentloans.gov.
  • The average starting salary for a HGSE M.Ed. alumnus is $57,000. This was mentioned during the Fin. Aid session. The speaker said he got number from the Career Services Office. I just sent an email to the CSO to inquire what the average starting salary is for alumni from my program (SLP).
  • I know @Heather1011 mentioned that professors generally do not do research with M.Ed. students because of the short timeline (9-10 months depending on the program). This is true. However, during the Faculty Panel session, several professors explained that they are working with former M.Ed. students who have kept in touch or stuck around after graduating. It seems like the only research opportunities for current M.Ed. students are: 1. do it yourself 2. get a part-time job somewhere on-campus during the school year.

For the sake of repetition:

• Boston is confusing as fuck. I consider myself a master at public transportation, but I got turned around once because the Green Line has 4 different routes: Green B, C, D, and E.
  • HGSE is a friendly place.
Edited by graciasadios

24 minutes ago, graciasadios said:

On Monday, I went to the Open House for Admitted Students. I honestly found a lot of it to be a repetition of the HGSE website and therefore boring. However, it was great to be in Cambridge with my SO and confirm that HGSE is a good decision for me. I only have three noteworthy things to share with you all:

• At the Fin. Aid session, the speaker mentioned something really important. He said that HGSE does not include Federal Grad Plus Loans in your fin. aid package while most other universities do. He said that a majority of HGSE students take out Grad Plus Loans, but that HGSE does not include these in your fin. aid package because they are not guaranteed; you have to pass a credit check in order to be approved for Grad Plus Loans. He said almost everyone qualifies, but they don't want to you to depend on that loan without reckoning with the eligibility requirements (i.e. credit check). Grad Plus Loan applications start July 1st via studentloans.gov.
  • The average starting salary for a HGSE M.Ed. alumnus is $57,000. This was mentioned during the Fin. Aid session. The speaker said he got number from the Career Services Office. I just sent an email to the CSO to inquire what the average starting salary is for alumni from my program (SLP).
  • I know @Heather1011 mentioned that professors generally do not do research with M.Ed. students because of the short timeline (9-10 months depending on the program). This is true. However, during the Faculty Panel session, several professors explained that they are working with former M.Ed. students who have kept in touch or stuck around after graduating. It seems like the only research opportunities for current M.Ed. students are: 1. do it yourself 2. get a part-time job somewhere on-campus during the school year.

• Boston is confusing as fuck. I consider myself a master at public transportation, but I got turned around once because the Green Line has 4 different routes: Green B, C, D, and E.

I found Boston so simple!  Granted, I arrived at South Station and just took the Red Line straight to Harvard.  I got turned around a bunch in Cambridge near Harvard Yard and all the different schools, though.

Thanks for the info about starting salary, I had not heard that before.  Seems pretty logical... entry level education jobs (slightly higher than starting teaching salaries).

I am wondering where everyone is looking to live and how far you are commuting in? We just signed on a place 3 T stops from Harvard Square.  Are you all mostly looking in the heart of Cambridge (within walking distance) or a commutable distance by T?

7 hours ago, EDU1988 said:

I am wondering where everyone is looking to live and how far you are commuting in? We just signed on a place 3 T stops from Harvard Square.  Are you all mostly looking in the heart of Cambridge (within walking distance) or a commutable distance by T?

I'm going to try to get HUH apartment with some cohort-mates as close to campus as possible.  I want to be able to walk to campus and make the most out of my year (because personally, I know that if I live far away, I'm going to want to go home early and not go back for any reason).  I also want to be able to be at the library late and get home, but the T stops running after like midnight/1, and I don't want to feel like I have to leave early or not go to a bar in Cambridge because I won't be able to get home.  If this was NYC I'd feel differently.

Mostly I just know myself, and I know that if I'm physically outside of Cambridge, I won't be on campus as much as I would want to be for things like guest speakers and other events.  I'm intrinsically lazy (despite getting into this amazing school!)

20 hours ago, dear_valentine07 said:

super excited to see you guys in the fall :) when do ya'll think you'll be moving to boston?

I'll be moving there July 1!  (Don't know how or to what apartment, but it has to happen because I'll be kicked out of my current place :lol:

16 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

I'll be moving there July 1!  (Don't know how or to what apartment, but it has to happen because I'll be kicked out of my current place :lol:

Ah!! That;s so early, I'm jealous! I don't wrap up at my current role until July 15th, then I'm heading for a 2 week trip to India :) Once I get back, I'll relax for a few days and move up to Boston! SO EXCITED. I wake up every morning wondering if it's August yet. 

12 hours ago, dear_valentine07 said:

Ah!! That;s so early, I'm jealous! I don't wrap up at my current role until July 15th, then I'm heading for a 2 week trip to India :) Once I get back, I'll relax for a few days and move up to Boston! SO EXCITED. I wake up every morning wondering if it's August yet. 

I'll be going to Israel for 2 weeks in July, right after I move in but right before my IEP summer session starts! 

• 2 weeks later...

I was kind of disappointed by Harvard's housing options. Sure, there are some great properties and locations. However, I was looking for something either below market value OR a 9-10 month lease. Harvard says they put everything at "market value," but I've seen much cheaper apartments elsewhere. I would be willing to pay $1700 for a studio in Cambridge if it were a 10 month lease, but Harvard doesn't offer anything other than one year leases.

My SO and I are planning to move to Cambridge, Somerville, or Allston on August 1st. We are looking for a studio or a shared living situation. Good luck to everyone else who's making a transcontinental move like we are.

Edited by graciasadios

2 hours ago, graciasadios said:

I was kind of disappointed by Harvard's housing options. Sure, there are some great properties and locations. However, I was looking for something either below market value OR a 9-10 month lease. Harvard says they put everything at "market value," but I've seen much cheaper apartments elsewhere. I would be willing to pay $1700 for a studio in Cambridge if it were a 10 month lease, but Harvard doesn't offer anything other than one year leases.

My SO and I are planning to move to Cambridge, Somerville, or Allston on August 1st. We are looking for a studio or a shared living situation. Good luck to everyone else who's making a transcontinental move like we are.

You can always get an yearlong lease with Harvard and sublet it for the summer to another Harvard affiliate.  That is totally a norm around here and tons of people do that to get an "academic year lease".

• 1 month later...
On 4/6/2016 at 0:25 PM, graciasadios said:

You've said mostly pretty solid things but I would say that the average salary number is way off, especially for SLPs. Graduates of school leadership program who end up taking leadership positions in the area start off above 80k (that's the lowest end of Assistant Principal salaries in MA, to say nothing of comps in NY, CA, IL where most SLP grads head to after). I remember when I did this research around application time, average salaries for Ed. M. was $62K. As far as the SLP program is concerned, it is worth its (financial) weight in gold.

On 6/1/2016 at 1:11 PM, dear_valentine07 said:

does anyone have access to the career services webinar today? i reached out to the main office and they said they haven't been able to get a hold of anyone in the career services office AND i don't have a link in my email for anything. 

I just clicked the link from Devynne Fuga and am currently trying to log onto the webinar.  I had to install a WebEx software add-on to Google Chrome in order to load anything.  It's very slowly buffering something for me but so far no success tech-wise.  Do you have access and just having technical problems, or just no access?

NVM I just re-read your post, I'll PM you the link.

Edited by Heather1011

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, graciasadios said:

Has anyone done the Gap Analysis or the Working Identity Mind Map?

Here is my Gap Analysis. I found the exercise pretty helpful.

Thanks for sharing your gap analysis, as it's inspired me to do mine.  I've listened to all the education sector webinars and live-participated in two of the CSO webinar sessions (both of which included audio conversations with future HGSE classmates) and I found them pretty generic and not very helpful.  The most helpful were the sector breakdowns, but I still have trouble picturing job opportunities that fit for me and for which I will be qualified.  I think IEP has a separate analysis we're supposed to do that comes later or something.  I think a lot of my gap analysis has been ruminating in my head since I wrote my SOP (knowing what things I needed to get out of HGSE was an obvious part of that essay), but it'll be good to chart it all.  

I was talking to my future HGSE roommates (and IEP classmates) and they were also kind of not-impressed with the CSO sessions.

• 1 month later...

SLP student here. We've been on-campus for about 2 weeks now and have finished 2 summer classes. Our program started a month early because we have state licensure requirements to meet. It's been a blast and I definitely made the right decision coming to Harvard. I just wanted to post that the courses for the Fall & Spring are posted here. Just click "HGSE Courses." See y'all soon!

• 4 months later...

I'm applying to the Masters Education: Technology, Education, Innovation. Deadline is just over 24 hours from now. I'm wondering about a few things:

1. What are people putting in the application for their Extracurricular Activities? Kind of hard to put sports they do, of if the studied Karate and reached a certain level 14 years ago, etc.

2. I am already a school teacher and the resumes teachers use are not professional like lawyers and business men. They can be on the artistic side. I wonder if a complete overhaul of mine is necessary?

Good luck everyone!

2 hours ago, Expateacher said:

I'm applying to the Masters Education: Technology, Education, Innovation. Deadline is just over 24 hours from now. I'm wondering about a few things:

1. What are people putting in the application for their Extracurricular Activities? Kind of hard to put sports they do, of if the studied Karate and reached a certain level 14 years ago, etc.

2. I am already a school teacher and the resumes teachers use are not professional like lawyers and business men. They can be on the artistic side. I wonder if a complete overhaul of mine is necessary?

Good luck everyone!

To attempt to answer your questions:

1. I wrote activities that wouldn't be considered employment but are still relevant to education and the program to which I am applying (IEP)- volunteer ESL instructor, internship at a homeless shelter, member of community service sorority in college, current membership in a edtech professional development cohort. I am not sure about including sports. It may be interesting to add if it is still an important part of who you are.

2. I am also a teacher and did not drastically change my resume but focused most on parts that were relevant to international ed. and included presentations and research (don't know if this was necessary, as there was space for this on another part of the application).

I'm not sure how helpful this is but it's something. Good luck finishing up your application!