PhD Applicants: Fall 2016

13 hours ago, PhDinPublicHealthHopeful said:

@HJin @TonyaB @Jade355

I think all sides have made strong points. That said, let's just understand that this is a very stressful time for everyone on all sides of the application spectrum! We all want desperately to get into our most desired programs!

We're all in public health and may run into each other at conferences and workshops in the future. Is it too sappy to say "can't we all just get along"? Yeah? Too much? :)

You all have wonderful things to contribute to the world of public health, hence why we're all applying and hoping to study, research, and add to the field! 

My thoughts exactly.

Also, seeing a post would not influence/pressure accepted students to decline offers earlier so I think the entire argument is only stressing people out. 

Now its time for the high school musical theme song: We are all in this together? (oh childhood LOL)

15 hours ago, Jade355 said:

Okay, thank you for your input. Let me now make a few points,

1. First of all, "EVERYONE waitlisted has made similar posts to HJin's in various threads and the results board" is a false, overly generalized statement. Many people, myself included, patiently wait and respect others of their right to decide until the official April deadline. 

2. Even if many waitlisted candidates make such posts, that does not make it right. To give an extreme example, just because there are many people cheating during an exam, it does not make cheating an appropriate action to take. Therefore, you are a presenting a weak argument.

3.  By saying "There are some ppl who make decisions and never tell the other schools they aren't going so the waitlisted ppl are left in limbo", you are giving a negative connotation for people who have received multiple acceptances. Yes, some, as a courtesy, choose to withdraw from other schools after they make their decisions, but you cannot blame others who choose to do otherwise. 

Good night

Your attitude still sucks. 

14 hours ago, PhDinPublicHealthHopeful said:

@HJin @TonyaB @Jade355

I think all sides have made strong points. That said, let's just understand that this is a very stressful time for everyone on all sides of the application spectrum! We all want desperately to get into our most desired programs!

We're all in public health and may run into each other at conferences and workshops in the future. Is it too sappy to say "can't we all just get along"? Yeah? Too much? :)

You all have wonderful things to contribute to the world of public health, hence why we're all applying and hoping to study, research, and add to the field! 

You're right, I just hate seeing someone picked on for no reason. HJin didn't deserve the attitude Jade put out there, so I said something. Not a big deal, no sweat off my back...if Jade chooses to be a jerk, then it's fine but I when I see unfairness, I call it out.

And if we ran into each other in person, I would still say the same to Jade to her face. Everyone is stressed! For sure! But that doesn't give anyone the RIGHT to be a jerk to someone who didn't deserve it. 

Hello all, 

We are almost there, 45 (ish) days to knowing what my life for the next 4-5 years will look like! Woohoo?

Update on application status:

Emory- Environmental Health Sciences: accepted (waiting to hear about a fellowship)

UW- EHS: interviewed 3 weeks ago- no word after (I assume i am on a waitlist)

UCLA- Molecular Toxicology: Waitlist

NYU- Environmental Medicine: Interview this week

Harvard- Biological Sciences in Public Health: rejected

UC Berkeley- EHS: rejected (I hate generic rejection letters)

Boston University- EHS: no word yet. :-/

Congratulations on the acceptances fellow public health professionals!! :) 

11 hours ago, EpiHereIGo! said:

Hey guys!
Is anybody planning to go to the UNC "Experience Gillings" event for admitted students on April 1st ?!
I just found out that I got accepted there! It was kind of a surprise, but I'm really happy about it!!! :) (Funding is a separate process) 
I'm looking forward to get to know the school and the program a little bit better.
The website says you are supposed to make your own arrangements for travel and lodging though...
Any thoughts?!

Congrats! Are you out-of-state? From what I've learned in the past few weeks, that usually actually makes funding easier! I'm local, so barring some major disaster, I'll be attending. 

(One important funding note -- today is the last day to submit training grants, so if you were accepted to the CV, environmental, infectious disease, occupational, pharmacoepi, or reproductive tracks, you probably want to apply for training grants today. If you were accepted to the cancer or genetic tracks, you have my empathy.)

15 minutes ago, Jade355 said:

"Your attitude still sucks" is a very weak argument.

You seem incapable of presenting a sound argument and having an intellectual discussion. Good bye now

I bet you got a perfect score on your GRE with your sound arguments :) good for you! 

15 minutes ago, nr12456 said:

got into NYU for epi, waiting on Penn... as well as BU and Columbia, but pretty sure these will both be rejections

Congrats on NYU acceptance! It means that you are a strong applicant so I am sure you will get into at least 1 of the 3 schools that you are still waiting for :) ( @Chalice_As you too! )

Hopefully the NYU program is funded because it is a pricey city to live in 

Edited by COGSCI

Thanks @COGSCI and @PhDinPublicHealthHopeful! It is definitely a relief, that difference between 'sure, grad school' and 'oh shit, this is really happening' is rather big lol. The NYU program I applied to has a decent enough stipend. I studied and lived in the city during my MPH, I agree, it'll be tough to make it seem worth it without good enough financial security.

@nr12456 I hope you hear soon! It seems like historically BU sends out acceptances in the second week of march.. And I know that a current grad student at Columbia didn't hear back until April- so I guess we keep waiting.. 

2 hours ago, Epi_2016_LO said:

Congrats! Are you out-of-state? From what I've learned in the past few weeks, that usually actually makes funding easier! I'm local, so barring some major disaster, I'll be attending. 

(One important funding note -- today is the last day to submit training grants, so if you were accepted to the CV, environmental, infectious disease, occupational, pharmacoepi, or reproductive tracks, you probably want to apply for training grants today. If you were accepted to the cancer or genetic tracks, you have my empathy.)

Thanks for the reply and for the heads up on the funding deadline! Yes, I'm out-of-state...  Hope it helps!
Hope to see you there :) 

26 minutes ago, nr12456 said:

@Chalice_As oh good to know! thanks!

@COGSCI yes fully funded, tuition and stipend! still going to be kind of hard haha :)

Amazing, congrats! Your apartment will be small, but you will be accomplishing big things !! 

I'm getting antsy waiting on a couple schools. At least two of my programs should have notified students by now according to gradcafe data, but appears that no one has heard back yet. Has anyone tried reaching out to programs on your application status and found them to be responsive in the past? I might wait another week before reaching out, but I'd like to start looking for other opportunities if this aren't going to work out for a fall start. 

On 3/1/2016 at 10:02 AM, Chalice_As said:

Hello all, 

We are almost there, 45 (ish) days to knowing what my life for the next 4-5 years will look like! Woohoo?

Update on application status:

Emory- Environmental Health Sciences: accepted (waiting to hear about a fellowship)

UW- EHS: interviewed 3 weeks ago- no word after (I assume i am on a waitlist)

UCLA- Molecular Toxicology: Waitlist

NYU- Environmental Medicine: Interview this week

Harvard- Biological Sciences in Public Health: rejected

UC Berkeley- EHS: rejected (I hate generic rejection letters)

Boston University- EHS: no word yet. :-/

Congratulations on the acceptances fellow public health professionals!! :) 

I haven't heard anything from UW either :/

Hi, I've been informed that I'm #1 on a waitlist for a PhD prorgram, and that if I can wait a few more weeks, I may have more information. The program director told me that they didn't feel they could extend a first round offer because I don't have a master's degree, but acknowledged that I am a very strong research fit and would fit in well with the culture and mission of the school. 

If the program made three offers for three spots, how likely (based on what you've heard or your experience, etc.) is it that one person will decline? All of the applicants seemed very competitive at the interview. 

1 hour ago, Familiar Heron said:

It's great to see all of the good news in this thread!

Did anybody else apply to Wisconsin's Population Health PhD program? 

I was admitted to the program. From what I learnt, funding only comes from being able to identify and secure a RA position. It's not automatic. 

23 hours ago, soccergal87 said:

I haven't heard anything from UW either :/

I sent the admissions coordinator an email yesterday, no response yet. I wish they would just tell me something, so I can move on.. annoying. 

2 hours ago, chef-web said:

I was admitted to the program. From what I learnt, funding only comes from being able to identify and secure a RA position. It's not automatic. 

Congrats! I was admitted as well, and I figured out funding if I decide to attend Wisconsin. Just trying to gauge who else is seriously considering the program.

On 2/29/2016 at 5:29 AM, themmases said:

UIC can be rather late, at least in Epi/Bio-- I can't really speak to the other divisions.
When I was admitted to the MS Epi program in 2014, I heard by email from the student coordinator near the end of March. When I checked in before that I was told they had faculty out of the country and were behind on both MS and PhD applications.

This time around I heard back from the Cancer Epi PhD on 2/18. My application was treated as a transfer request (they even had me withdraw my SOPHAS application because apparently they didn't need it) and I was given the impression that they were getting back to me early since I'm internal. However I assume they must have also made decisions about some other people, or at least about rejections, to be able to get back to me. My impression was that they'd started reviewing PhD applications in late January, but wait for in-person meetings to move anything forward.

The coordinator for Epi/Bio was really nice to me as a nervous applicant when I emailed to check in, so I would recommend just contacting him. He was pretty clear with me about the timeline for my MS review once I asked. Good luck!

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion. I contacted the coordinator as you suggested, and they almost immediately sent me an email to schedule an interview. I aint sure abt funding opportunities at UIC, because my friend there said that Epi department rarely provided 50% appointment (20hrs TA/RA). But let's see what life is going to give us :)

21 hours ago, Chalice_As said:

I sent the admissions coordinator an email yesterday, no response yet. I wish they would just tell me something, so I can move on.. annoying. 

Keep me posted if you hear back!

Will do @soccergal87

I got an offer letter from NYU this morning though, PhD in EHS in their Department of Environmental Medicine. Yay! However, this was the only program I applied to that wasn't in a school of public health. That is definitely going to take away from its appeal. 

I am gonna have to sit down and make pro con lists  between Emory and NYU. Has anyone come across good ways of doing that? I read an article that suggested listing factors that I think are important, giving them a weight, score each school out of 10 for that factor and then add up the points (after multiplication with the weight) to get a total score for each school.

Any other suggestions?