Fall 2016 Clinical Psychology Applicant Thread

JoePianist

Aspiring clinical psychologists UNITE!! :D It's that time of year again as the cool autumn weather settles into the background of Thanksgiving holidays, while people like us frantically race to complete a number of graduate school applications :P It's getting late into the application process this year, so I wanted to create this thread so other applicants can share in the struggle together.

Which clinical psychology programs are you applying for? Is this your first-time applying this year? Anything else you'd like to share about your academic/research background?

Good luck to everyone!!

54368981.jpg

I think I'm in the eye of the hurricane right now.  I'm not freaking out at the moment, but I know it's coming after calming down a little bit.  I'm applying at a mixture of developmental and clinical programs.  Applying at: University of Toronto, University of Ottawa, McMaster, Carleton, and possibly Laurier and Trent.  Still trying to collect info on Trent if anyone knows about it...

I'm sure I'll be back after the eye passes and I'm in full freak-out mode again.

Im applying to Clinical Psych at UTSC, Ryerson and maybe Western. Im looking for people to help with SOI's and I can help with theirs too :)

Relatively calm this time because I've had enough of stressing about something that isn't really in my control lol

I'm glad someone started this!  

I'm a first time applicant, so I'm pretty nervous. I just want it to be January 1st, so everything is in.  

I'm applying to 11 schools - Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Harvard, University of Utah, British Columbia, Vanderbilt, West Virginia, Auburn, George Mason, Florida State, Southern Miss, and Texas Tech. 

I think my undergrad university hates me... I requested 17 transcripts in a matter of two days.  Oh well.  

What is everyone's research interests? 

This is my 2nd consecutive year applying for Ph.D Clinical Psychology programs. I was invited to a couple of interviews last application cycle, and I'm feeling more confident this round after landing an excellent post-baccalaureate research job in a clinical health psychology lab this summer :-)

I'm applying for 8 doctorate clinical psych programs around the United States including:

- UAB

- Georgia State

- Wayne State

- Arizona State

- Virginia Commonwealth U.

- Kent State

- U. of New Mexico

- U. of Missouri-St. Louis

And my research interest broadly pertains to the intersection between physical health and mental health! (aka Health Psychology)

Edited by JoePianist

I am not certain about my chances since accordingly applicants who are still a college senior are at disadvantage. And my GPA is bad. But it does not hurt (much) to try. 

Still trying to figure out transcript stuff.... it seems like most of school only requires official transcript to be mailed upon admission?

34 minutes ago, hopefulclinicalpsych said:

I think my undergrad university hates me... I requested 17 transcripts in a matter of two days.  Oh well.  

So I am a bit freaked out by your ordering 17 transcripts.... by the way we have some schools in common :D

My research interest centers in (clinical) psychological assessments.

Edited by VentureIntoNothingness

I'm applying this year! This will be my third time applying to clinical programs, but first time applying outside of Canada.

I'm applying to:

-Simon Fraser University

-University of Saskatchewan

-Ryerson University

-Texas A&M

-University of Southern Florida

-Drexel University

-Texas Tech (counselling though, not clinical)

I'm frantically trying to get my reference letters out to my referees, as I worry that I've left it too late at this point...

Edited by FacelessMage

I am glad there is a place to commiserate! It's about that time I start obsessively checking gradcafe and SDN again. This is my second year in a row applying to clinical programs. I feel like I have a better CV and more well-rounded LORs this year...soo...fingers crossed!

So far, I've submitted two of twelve applications. Hoping to have the rest submitted by Thanksgiving, but I am truly starting to feel overwhelmed. *Sighhhh*. Feeling more prepared than last year, but just as stressed...maybe even more.

I'm applying to  University of Kansas, University of New Mexico, University of Georgia, Georgia State, Univ of Maryland-Baltimore County, University of Alabama-Birmingham, University of Iowa, Indiana University-Purdue, Syracuse University, University of Missouri-Kansas City, University of Nebraska, and University of Miami.

Are any of your programs still on a "paper only" format for applications? One of my schools requires everything sent by mail and this is what is the biggest pain for me at the moment! Especially trying to make sure those writing my LORs mail it relatively soon so it gets there by or on December 1st.....but also trying not to be a pest by reminding them. The struggle. 

6 hours ago, Becks_Psych said:

Are any of your programs still on a "paper only" format for applications? One of my schools requires everything sent by mail and this is what is the biggest pain for me at the moment! Especially trying to make sure those writing my LORs mail it relatively soon so it gets there by or on December 1st.....but also trying not to be a pest by reminding them. The struggle. 

All of mine are electronic. The last time I saw an application where things needed to be mailed was 2012. What school is this for?

18 minutes ago, FacelessMage said:

All of mine are electronic. The last time I saw an application where things needed to be mailed was 2012. What school is this for?

Goodness, this school is behind in the times. Sam Houston State University. Small university in a small town in Texas. 

6 minutes ago, Becks_Psych said:

Goodness, this school is behind in the times. Sam Houston State University. Small university in a small town in Texas. 

Oh wow. I was considering applying there. I'm glad I'm not now! That is very behind the times. 

7 minutes ago, FacelessMage said:

Oh wow. I was considering applying there. I'm glad I'm not now! That is very behind the times. 

Haha yeah, thankfully they do have a page that they update when they receive specific parts of your application.

Who are you wanting to work under at Texas A&M? I'm applying there as well. 

7 minutes ago, Becks_Psych said:

Haha yeah, thankfully they do have a page that they update when they receive specific parts of your application.

Who are you wanting to work under at Texas A&M? I'm applying there as well. 

I'm applying to work with John Edens. His research is pretty similar to what I'm doing now. 

2 minutes ago, Becks_Psych said:

Haha uh oh! Looks like we'll be competing for a spot. It was bound to happen. 

Haha yeah. Forensics is such a niche field still. It's a shame there's not enough spots. What other programs are you applying to?

8 minutes ago, FacelessMage said:

Haha yeah. Forensics is such a niche field still. It's a shame there's not enough spots. What other programs are you applying to?

I know. I wish there were so much more, especially since it's such a growing field. I'm still a senior in my undergraduate program so I was limited in funds, which resulted in being able to apply to 3 clinical programs (Sam Houston State University, University of Alabama, and Texas A&M), and 3 masters programs as my back up  (George Washington University, Marymount University, and Roger Williams University.) 

Edit--I also have a preference for schools in the U.S.. 

Edited by Becks_Psych

4 minutes ago, Becks_Psych said:

I know. I wish there were so much more, especially since it's such a growing field. I'm just still a senior in my undergraduate program so I was limited in funds, which resulted in being able to apply to 3 clinical programs (Sam Houston State University, University of Alabama, and Texas A&M), and 3 masters programs as my back up: George Washington University, Marymount University, and Roger Williams University.) 

Oh man I definitely know about limited funds. Applying to grad school is so expensive. I'm being hit doubly hard by the US to Canadian dollar conversion for the application fees right now. Those are great programs though! I've met a few people from the program at Alabama and they've really liked it although I'm pretty unfamiliar with the American schools. I know Drexel has a strong forensic program, so keep it in mind if you should suddenly have extra funds! 

6 hours ago, FacelessMage said:

Oh man I definitely know about limited funds. Applying to grad school is so expensive. I'm being hit doubly hard by the US to Canadian dollar conversion for the application fees right now. Those are great programs though! I've met a few people from the program at Alabama and they've really liked it although I'm pretty unfamiliar with the American schools. I know Drexel has a strong forensic program, so keep it in mind if you should suddenly have extra funds! 

The Canadian to US dollar conversion is working in my favor.  :D  As for paper format, Uof Ottawa still requires everything on paper except your LORs.  I'm like ???

18 hours ago, Becks_Psych said:

One of my programs, UMKC, is still on a paper format. It is truly frustrating, and kind of throws a curve ball when all the other programs are electronic. They even want a paper copy of my GRE scores, which I'm struggling with because since I have taken the test multiple times, I can only get a paper report with all the test scores <_< . Blech! Just gotta stay on top of them though, good luck with yours!

26 minutes ago, wootar said:

They even want a paper copy of my GRE scores, which I'm struggling with because since I have taken the test multiple times, I can only get a paper report with all the test scores <_< . Blech! Just gotta stay on top of them though, good luck with yours!

Wow, that's frustrating! Good luck to you as well! 

On 11/16/2015, 10:48:06, Syedahum said:

Im applying to Clinical Psych at UTSC, Ryerson and maybe Western. Im looking for people to help with SOI's and I can help with theirs too :)

Relatively calm this time because I've had enough of stressing about something that isn't really in my control lol

I'm applying to UTSC and Western too! Are you applying to their phd or master's program?

29 minutes ago, TKYU said:

I'm applying to UTSC and Western too! Are you applying to their phd or master's program?

Hey! I'm applying at the PhD level but open to MA and transition as well. I will be completing my masters by sept 2016 so I'm really hoping to not have to do any MA level work!

Who are you applying to at UTSC if you dont mind me asking :) How's the process going? 

I may or may not end up applying at Western. Just not fully ready to move. 

This is my first year applying. I don't feel too nervous, but I'm sure that will change once I have all my applications turned in and I'm waiting to hear back from schools!

I'm interested in Clinical Health Psych programs. I'm applying to: University of Miami, UCLA, UCSD/SDSU, Iowa, Kentucky, Connecticut, and Colorado-Denver.

2 hours ago, Syedahum said:

Hey! I'm applying at the PhD level but open to MA and transition as well. I will be completing my masters by sept 2016 so I'm really hoping to not have to do any MA level work!

Who are you applying to at UTSC if you dont mind me asking :) How's the process going? 

I may or may not end up applying at Western. Just not fully ready to move. 

Oh! Are you taking your master's in Canada or the US?

Erika Carlson & Amanda Uliaszek at UTSC! What about you?

I'm still working on my SOP. This is my first time applying so I'm pretty stressed but I'm just taking it day by day!