Fall 2016 Clinical Psychology Applicant Thread

JoePianist

I also got an interview invite to Georgia yesterday! But yes, I believe that this is just because the deadline was so early, so I'm not holding my breath on hearing too much else over the next two weeks. Feels good to have one 'for sure' before Christmas though.

On 12/9/2015 at 0:50 PM, Becks_Psych said:

So what's the close total of how much it has costed to do the application process for all of these schools? My budget has been tight with just 6!

I'm very lucky that my parents are supporting this financially. <3 For them I'd say close to if not over $1000. Then again, I attend public university in-state and I work to pay all my other expenses, so I've been a low financial burden throughout undergrad. 

I'm so shocked that so many are being notified so soon! My applications are half clinical, half counseling, and I feel blessed to have an interview before the holidays! That'll tide me over until January, but hopefully other schools I applied to will notify soon, too ;)

I'm not expecting to hear back until the new year, to be honest. Canadian schools are pretty slow...the ones with application deadlines of January 15 don't even contact people until February, and one of those is a top choice. :| I hate the waiting game. 

Yay! I am so glad someone else started this thread.

I am a first time applicant and I am so glad all my applications are now in :)

I applied to USC, Michigan State, Indiana university, Harvard, Yale, UMSL, Notre Dame, Colorado Springs, University of Illinois, University of South Alabama, and Columbia.

I am interested in many fields of human sexual behavior, but my current endeavors are focused on sexual coercion and intimate partner violence. Also, I have taken an interest in how childhood sexual trauma leads to psychopathology in later life!

Also a first time applicant! It's great to hear there are so many other people in the same boat.

I applied to American, GW, Duke, U of Miami, UVA, UNC, UT Austin, Vanderbilt, Florida State, and Berkeley.

Hoping I'm not the only one who waited until juuuuust before the deadline to submit most of my apps :blink:

@AcceptanceOrBust good luck this application season! You have some great schools on your list!

You are definitely not the only one to submit your applications right before the deadline. My SO was in the same boat as you this application season. In fact, he is still working on finalizing SOPs for some January 1 deadlines. Although I was a bit hesitant to wait to submit too close to the deadlines, it actually worked in his favor, as he was able to update his CV and make it even better! Additionally, as we catch small corrections or details that need to be fixed or added to his SOP, we are able to correct/add them. So, as this application process has progressed, his SOP has just continued to get better. I would say in this case, it was good to wait to submit apps until closer to the deadline, especially since applications are not reviewed until the deadline has passed anyway! :)

Edited by SkyLy

Many programs begin reviewing applications as they're completed (that's how applicants are finding out so soon after deadlines). I received an invite yesterday, and the DCT told me they finished reviewing all applications already. However, that school also receives a significantly lower number of applications than other schools (less than 100). That probably helped them notify us so soon. 

I'm still in college, so I decided to submit my applications in October so I wouldn't have to worry about them during my senior fall. 

Hey guys! I'm also a first-time applicant. For those of you who have already received invitations for interviews, would you mind sharing which schools you heard from? I did not know that invitations were ever sent out before the new year.

Thanks!

1 minute ago, asa.pearl said:

Hey guys! I'm also a first-time applicant. For those of you who have already received invitations for interviews, would you mind sharing which schools you heard from? I did not know that invitations were ever sent out before the new year.

Thanks!

Most are not sent out until January, but a few schools have sent them out this week. This is a good site to check out as well: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2015-2016-official-psychology-ph-d-psyd-interview-invite-thread.1173705/ For the most part, it seems like in past years if they did not go out this week, they won't go out until the first or second full week in January. Don't let the worry ruin your holiday! 

@asa.pearl You're better off here: http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=psychology SDN tends to be behind in posting interview invites, since they're medically oriented and don't have as many PhD students over there. They get most of their information from here:P

Edited by artsy16

4 minutes ago, artsy16 said:

@asa.pearl You're better off here: http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=psychology SDN tends to be behind in posting interview invites, since they're medically oriented and don't have as many PhD students over there. They get most of their information from here:P

That is a great resource I didn't know about, thank you for sharing! 

17 hours ago, artsy16 said:

Thank you so much for sharing!

School Name: Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/18/2015

Type: Clinical
Notified via:Email
Interview Date: 2/5
Additional Info: 
Informal gathering evening before

Did any other applicants to SUNY Albany clinical program receive an e-mail from the grad school saying "your application is now complete and has been forwarded to the academic department for their consideration" ? I triple checked on the Dec. 1 deadline and the application was showing that they'd received all my test scores, recs, transcripts, etc. Maybe it took them 3 weeks to process everything?

1 hour ago, Applicant316 said:

Did any other applicants to SUNY Albany clinical program receive an e-mail from the grad school saying "your application is now complete and has been forwarded to the academic department for their consideration" ? I triple checked on the Dec. 1 deadline and the application was showing that they'd received all my test scores, recs, transcripts, etc. Maybe it took them 3 weeks to process everything?

I did not apply there, but many of the schools I did apply to at some point sent me an email with this kind of statement.  It just means the Grad College has reviewed everything to make sure your application materials were submitted by the deadline, it is actually complete, and that you do meet the minimum requirements to apply.  The Department is who decides if you will be accepted or not so the Grad College has now forwarded your materials to them for consideration.  So basically, relax you're still in the running ;)   

2 hours ago, Applicant316 said:

I applied to the counseling program and received an interview from them this past week. I also received that "your application is complete" email today. It's just computer-generated. My application was complete since the middle of November, but I didn't get an email until this morning. 

Just to those who just cannot stop checking the TGC results page and want to be freak out constantly, there's an app named Tapatalk you can install in your phone to track forum updates. It seems that you can set up TGC results page there and it will just send you notification instantly when some posts something on the results page. 

Consider this tip to be my Christmas gift to ya'll, ENJOY :P 

2 hours ago, VentureIntoNothingness said:

Just to those who just cannot stop checking the TGC results page and want to be freak out constantly, there's an app named Tapatalk you can install in your phone to track forum updates. It seems that you can set up TGC results page there and it will just send you notification instantly when some posts something on the results page. 

Consider this tip to be my Christmas gift to ya'll, ENJOY :P 

Enabler.  :angry::lol:

On 12/20/2015 at 10:51 AM, beyondnervous said:

Cannot..... wait.... 30 more days.... the anticipation is killing me. Checking TGC ~5 times a day will be the death of me....

I know!! I keep reminding myself that most admission committees probably aren't meeting [again] until after Jan. 1 and that I should take a break from checking on here too in the mean time... yet, here I am again :) best of luck to everyone, and hopefully we get the new years gift of good news once admission committees meet again!