Fall 2016 Clinical Psychology Applicant Thread

JoePianist

On 1/14/2016 at 9:24 AM, psychapp2016 said:

Does anyone know when you'd hear from UCSD/SDSU joint program?

According to the results history, the UCSD/SDSU JDP sends out invites around January 20-24 with rejections being sent out about a week after or so after the first invites are out.

On 1/14/2016 at 9:24 AM, psychapp2016 said:

Does anyone know when you'd hear from UCSD/SDSU joint program?

UCSD program coordinator told me on the phone that they meet and send invites the third week of January!

Hey all.

First time applicant, and I just had a question. One of the programs I have applied to is supposedly sending out interview invites within the next couple of days. I went in and checked on my application and under funding I noticed there is a new assistantship application that was recently added. What exactly could that mean? 

2 hours ago, psychapp2016 said:

Great, thanks so much! Anyone know about SUNY stony brook? I've seen some interviews go out :( Don't know if I missed it though.

I just finished my undergrad there. What I can tell you is that some of the clonic professors, one in particular, sends his invites and such out later than most of his colleagues. He once told me that it can be as much as a month after. 

6 minutes ago, artsy16 said:

@buttercup8d what are you referring to ("...how this works?")? Admissions are not solely based on numeric stats.

I was more curious about the number of invites they send out, and if they sent them out now. On their website, they clearly state the minimum GPA, GRE, letters of rec, etc. as the factors in extending an invitation.

32 minutes ago, buttercup8d said:

I was more curious about the number of invites they send out, and if they sent them out now. On their website, they clearly state the minimum GPA, GRE, letters of rec, etc. as the factors in extending an invitation.

It works something like this for most PhD programs: every professor that is taking students selects about 2-3 times as many applicants as they can take. So if one professor wants two students one year, he or she would invite about 4-6 applicants for interviews. Applicants for interviews must meet minimum criteria like you said, but fit is one of the most important factors. Multiple sources have told me that even applicants with great stats (GRE, GPA, etc) will be rejected if they do not fit with the program and with the interests of the professor they apply to. For example, I want to focus on research more than clinical practice, so it would be in my best interest to select programs that have a similar tilt towards research. Fit also includes expressing similar (or the same) interests as a professor in addition to properly answering all of the personal statement questions they provide you with details about how you see the program as providing what you want. Sorry for the rant but I hope this helps!

2 minutes ago, Applicant38 said:

It works something like this for most PhD programs: every professor that is taking students selects about 2-3 times as many applicants as they can take. So if one professor wants two students one year, he or she would invite about 4-6 applicants for interviews. Applicants for interviews must meet minimum criteria like you said, but fit is one of the most important factors. Multiple sources have told me that even applicants with great stats (GRE, GPA, etc) will be rejected if they do not fit with the program and with the interests of the professor they apply to. For example, I want to focus on research more than clinical practice, so it would be in my best interest to select programs that have a similar tilt towards research. Fit also includes expressing similar (or the same) interests as a professor in addition to properly answering all of the personal statement questions they provide you with details about how you see the program as providing what you want. Sorry for the rant but I hope this helps!

Thanks! This is helpful. I feel like I did do all of this (more research-based programs, solid stats and lots of research experience, targeted a few faculty who were good fits (but I could not find perfect fits except for 1 because most scientists I looked up weren't in academia but in psychiatry). No interviews to date.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm worried I may have been too specific in my essay. How did everyone write their's?  

I wrote my essays (technically one essay tailored to each school) talking about my practice experience(which led me to want to be a practicing psychologist), my research interests and experience, and career goals (to be a practicing clinician, not a researcher or academic). I've gotten 4 invites and 1 rejection so far, waiting on 2 more. 

10 hours ago, daisy27 said:

Hey y'all, for those of you who applied to GMU (if any) has your application status changed? Mine changed sometime between 4pm - 10 pm from "Out for Decision" to "Complete." Any idea what this may mean? 

Mine says that too... But I haven't heard anything. I'm assuming this means that they have already sent out their interviews... I saw several people post that they had received interviews. 

19 hours ago, buttercup8d said:

Thanks! This is helpful. I feel like I did do all of this (more research-based programs, solid stats and lots of research experience, targeted a few faculty who were good fits (but I could not find perfect fits except for 1 because most scientists I looked up weren't in academia but in psychiatry). No interviews to date.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm worried I may have been too specific in my essay. How did everyone write their's?  

It's not about doing anything wrong, it's about being the right fit at the right time (for yourself and the university/faculty). There isn't a formula for admission. My understanding is that programs look for students who can be successful in the program, who can be an asset to the program/university, good stats, etc. Most people applying have good scores, letters, grades, etc. and while those are important to every application, they aren't necessarily the deciding factor. Some schools get 400+ applicants, and interview 15-20, for 2-3 spots in Clinical Psych PhDs. Some professors get 100+ apps to their labs alone, and can only choose one student. It also takes most people more than one round of applications to gain admission, so try not get too down on yourself if you haven't heard back yet. If you wind up not getting interviews this year, it can't hurt to contact your POIs and ask if they have any advice to improve your application for the next round because they can usually provide personalized input. But it's still early in the game! Hang in there and good luck!