Fall 2016 Clinical Psychology Applicant Thread

JoePianist

4 hours ago, icantseethespacebar said:

It's not about doing anything wrong, it's about being the right fit at the right time (for yourself and the university/faculty). There isn't a formula for admission. My understanding is that programs look for students who can be successful in the program, who can be an asset to the program/university, good stats, etc. Most people applying have good scores, letters, grades, etc. and while those are important to every application, they aren't necessarily the deciding factor. Some schools get 400+ applicants, and interview 15-20, for 2-3 spots in Clinical Psych PhDs. Some professors get 100+ apps to their labs alone, and can only choose one student. It also takes most people more than one round of applications to gain admission, so try not get too down on yourself if you haven't heard back yet. If you wind up not getting interviews this year, it can't hurt to contact your POIs and ask if they have any advice to improve your application for the next round because they can usually provide personalized input. But it's still early in the game! Hang in there and good luck!

Thanks, I'm trying to keep my head up in this stressful process :)

23 hours ago, buttercup8d said:

Thanks! This is helpful. I feel like I did do all of this (more research-based programs, solid stats and lots of research experience, targeted a few faculty who were good fits (but I could not find perfect fits except for 1 because most scientists I looked up weren't in academia but in psychiatry). No interviews to date.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm worried I may have been too specific in my essay. How did everyone write their's?  

I don't know how not being specific would help you.  My essay covered the following: very specific research interests, the education/work/clinical experience that led me to those research interests, faculty who's work appealed me and related to my interests, research training, and what I see myself doing once my PhD is done.  

Perhaps the fact that most of the scientists of interest to you are in psychiatry is telling.  Yes clinical psychology is flexible, but maybe there is another degree, other than going to med school for psychiatry, that might be better.  I'm certainly not saying you should give up as application season isn't over, but maybe there is another way to view your interests and reform your goals.  Reaching out to some of the psychiatrists doing work that interests to pick their brains couldn't hurt.

Hello everyone:)

Does anybody know whether University of Minnesota (clinical) sent out all thier invitations?

Also, does anyone know about interview invitation status of University of Maryland, College park? I got no invitation untill now...that makes me sad:(.

Edited by seon

15 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

I don't know how not being specific would help you.  My essay covered the following: very specific research interests, the education/work/clinical experience that led me to those research interests, faculty who's work appealed me and related to my interests, research training, and what I see myself doing once my PhD is done.  

Perhaps the fact that most of the scientists of interest to you are in psychiatry is telling.  Yes clinical psychology is flexible, but maybe there is another degree, other than going to med school for psychiatry, that might be better.  I'm certainly not saying you should give up as application season isn't over, but maybe there is another way to view your interests and reform your goals.  Reaching out to some of the psychiatrists doing work that interests to pick their brains couldn't hurt.

Thanks. I applied to 14 programs but out of them, I think only 3 are nearly perfect research fits. I spent a year researching programs, and this is the list I came up with. The other 11 are faculty I've followed or what I am interested in but haven't gotten deeply into yet. 

I already work with prominent psychiatrists whose research has influenced/aligned with mine. I'm already thinking about doing my dissertation with the data we've collected so far. That said, I do not want to become a psychiatrist. Clinical psych seems to be the field that will give me the research background and training I want along with licensure so I can work directly with patients.

I definitely want to give it at least another go next year if I don't get in this year. After considerable thought, I switched entire fields in the past 2 years so that I could gain research experience and finally apply to clinical psych programs. It wouldn't make sense at this point to switch again just because I didn't get into a program this year.

School Name: Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT)
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/19/2016
Degree: PhD
Type: Clinical Psychology, PhD
Notified via: Email
Interview Date: 3/4/2016
Additional Info: My best friend currently is in the clinical psych program at IIT, so if anyone has questions feel free to private message me! 

Anyone else out there interviewing at IIT for clinical psych? I'm interested to see if I have any common POIs with anyone. 

Also, does anyone have information pertaining to interviews at WUSTL, Emory, Michigan State University, University of New Mexico, UNC-chapel hill, or Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science for clinical psych programs only? I'm interested to see if I have any POIs in commons with someone! 

1 hour ago, Johnic73 said:

School Name: Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT)
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/19/2016
Notified via: Email
Interview Date: 3/4/2016
Additional Info: My best friend currently is in the clinical psych program at IIT, so if anyone has questions feel free to private message me! 

Anyone else out there interviewing at IIT for clinical psych? I'm interested to see if I have any common POIs with anyone. 

Also, does anyone have information pertaining to interviews at WUSTL, Emory, Michigan State University, University of New Mexico, UNC-chapel hill, or Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science for clinical psych programs only? I'm interested to see if I have any POIs in commons with someone! 

I believe someone mentioned last week that WUSTL should be sending out invites in the middle of this week. Congratulations on you interview invitation by the way!

Hi folks, have any of you who had Skype interviews with Harvard clinical faculty hear back about whether you're invited for on-campus interviews? My POI said he'd be done on Monday with the Skype round and I'm a bit nervous since I haven't heard back, so I just wanted to check. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Applicant38 said:

I believe someone mentioned last week that WUSTL should be sending out invites in the middle of this week. Congratulations on you interview invitation by the way!

Thanks!!

19 minutes ago, ELathan said:

Has anyone heard from Georgia State, North Carolina Greensboro, University of Memphis, University of Tennessee Knoxville or Alabama?

Memphis invites have all been sent. But sometimes they invite alternatives if all slots aren't filled. 

2 minutes ago, SIKE32 said:

Memphis invites have all been sent. But sometimes they invite alternatives if all slots aren't filled. 

Alright. I got an email asking further questions from my POI, but hopefully all slots won't be filled. 

super late, but...

School Name: University of Tulsa
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/23/2015
Notified via: Phone call
Interview Date: 1/29/2016
Additional Info: This was my first response, from anyone, and I'm worried it's given me false hope for my (unlikely) success in the rest of the process. (Granted, I've since gotten a rejection, but I'm busy preparing for this one.)

4 minutes ago, L265 said:

Has anyone heard from Florida? Typically, it seems like they send their invites about 1 mo in advance. 

I'm an undergrad at Florida. I can tell you that as of yesterday they were reviewing applications according to someone in the department. Should be sending out invites any time now.

34 minutes ago, Applicant38 said:

I'm an undergrad at Florida. I can tell you that as of yesterday they were reviewing applications according to someone in the department. Should be sending out invites any time now.

ok, thanks! Patience.. 

I've applied to U. of Indianapolis, Florida Tech, and Spalding U (Louisville, KY) for PsyD programs. Should be finding out about interviews in the next 2 weeks for all of them.

Is there a thread somewhere that people are connecting that are interviewing at the same schools? In my perfect world, I'd be interested in making contact with someone that may share the same interview date so we can split the cost of lodging (assuming they don't give off murderer vibes). I'm a year and a half into grad school so I have a well established status of "f***ing poor" and application season is expensive. Trying to cut costs where I can. 

27 minutes ago, GingFactor said:

Is there a thread somewhere that people are connecting that are interviewing at the same schools?

There isn't an official thread for meet-ups, but I have reached out to people on the forums by private message who posted on the "Interview/Interview Invitation Thread" for the same programs I'm attending for interviews. In fact, just yesterday, I met-up with a fellow GradCafe member for a clinical psychology interview we both attended ^_^

4 hours ago, pny said:

Has anyone heard from Florida State clinical yet? 

It looks like someone did on the 18th according to the results page. Here's the link http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=Psychology+Florida+

Scroll to the near bottom and someone listed an interview invite for their clinical program! 

In early January, one person posted about email invitations for interviews with both UC Boulder and UT Austin. I've seen nothing else since. Does anyone have any information about these two programs?

EDIT: Also, has anyone heard from Duke?

Edited by Wunderkindling