Fall 2016 Clinical Psychology Applicant Thread

JoePianist

I just received my first interview invite for this application cycle! :lol: Anyone else applying or interviewing for UAB?

School Name: The University of Alabama At Birmingham (UAB)
Interview Invite Received: 12/22/2015
Degree
: PhD
Type: Medical/Clinical Psychology Doctorate Program
Notified via: Email
Interview Date: Jan. 19-20
Additional Info: Email from the Director of Clinical Training. Interview visit on January 19-20. Dinner with applicants and current students on Jan. 19, and a day of interviews the following morning.

Edited by JoePianist

2 hours ago, JoePianist said:

I just received my first interview invite for this application cycle! :lol: Anyone else applying or interviewing for UAB?

Degree
Additional Info: Email from the Director of Clinical Training. Interview visit on January 19-20. Dinner with applicants and current students on Jan. 19, and a day of interviews the following morning.

I applied to UAB Medical Psych. Have not received an invite :( So far just emails stating to Check Application Status...status says : is under review 

8 minutes ago, TickFckTock said:

I applied to UAB Medical Psych. Have not received an invite :( So far just emails stating to Check Application Status...status says : is under review 

I'm wishing you the best of luck; from personal experience, I understand how nerve-wracking and exhausting this process can be :-< The email that I received from UAB this morning said that the admissions committee "has now completed its initial review of applications," but I'm hoping they're still sending out invites.

6 hours ago, JoePianist said:

Degree

hi & congrats!! I received my first interview invite from UAB this morning too -- so excited!  

Edited by eliza.beth

Still no email from UAB, status still says "under review". I think it's reasonable to assume rejection (or waitlist, to cling to a tiny but if hope) if they don't send emails to the rest of us by the end of the business day. Wouldn't make sense to notify some of an interview now and others after break, not much time to arrange travel. 

I couldn't come up here before submitting my apps.  It would have been too stressful, on top of the stress I was already experiencing.

I've applied to USC, UCLA, UWashington, Arizona State, Emory University, UMass Amherst, Boston University, and SUNY - Stony Brook.

First time applicant. Fingers crossed that I get accepted but I'm also applying to Post-bacc programs for more research experience in case I don't get in.

2 hours ago, beyondnervous said:

Dear Santa:

Some of us just want for this torture to end. Please. Bless us with interviews the first 2 weeks of January.

Sincerely,

- Those who made TGC their home page.

LOL so true.  I'm amazed at how many schools send out interview invites or rejections before the holidays.  To those who have received interview invites Congratulations and to those who still haven't heard anything or have gotten a rejection Hang in there because it isn't over yet.

3 hours ago, Generic_Applicant said:

Congrats! When did you hear? Aren't schools closed for the holidays?

Even if schools are closed, professors can "unofficially" reach out if they choose to. Its not too uncommon to unofficially hear something before getting an official word from administration (which does take a bit longer) if the professors were already given the applicant's materials before the break.

12 hours ago, Generic_Applicant said:

Congrats! When did you hear? Aren't schools closed for the holidays?

Hey! The professor emailed me on January 1st. I passed the committee wide selection process, so I believe now it is mostly up to the professor and each has their own way of doing things. 

3 hours ago, veeclinpsy said:

Hey! The professor emailed me on January 1st. I passed the committee wide selection process, so I believe now it is mostly up to the professor and each has their own way of doing things. 

Yeah, that's what I thought. That's so great for you! Congrats! :)

1 hour ago, beyondnervous said:

Auburn invitation listed on TCG results page.... Oh boy.

Just curious to know if it was sent from the DCT? (NOT curious to know who your POI was, if this is how you received the invite). Just wanting to know whether a "mass-email with invites" was sent. 

Thank you :-)

They emailed this in December:  "We intend to extend invitations for on-campus interview via e-mail between now and the end of January. Each of our clinical faculty have their own review process and timeline, which is why there is not a single interview notification date.  Do not be discouraged if you learn that a fellow applicant has been selected for an interview, as it may be that the faculty member they applied to work with is simply further along in their review process" :D

Thank heavens for google!  I received an email from the Program Coordinator at a school I applied to stating they couldn't find my GRE scores (side note....I dunno wtf is up with ETS, but this has been an issue with half the reports I ordered that were sent electronically).  So after getting the tracking info from ETS I go to reply to the Program Coordinator only to realize their name doesn't obviously indicate if they are male or female.  Their signature didn't mention being a professor so going with "Dr" didn't seem wise, but thankfully google led me to a page that listed them as "Mr. Program Coordinator."  Getting that wrong would have been so embarrassing.  

Anyone out there who applied to the clinical psych program in University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa) and University of Louisville? 

Have you guys receive anything from the schools? 

Edited by emhopefulme

3 hours ago, emhopefulme said:

Anyone out there who applied to the clinical psych program in University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa) and University of Louisville? 

Have you guys receive anything from the schools? 

I applied to Alabama and still haven't heard anything. The status bar at the top of my application page still says 'evaluation'. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.