Fall 2016 Clinical Psychology Applicant Thread

JoePianist

2 hours ago, Syedahum said:

Anyone applying to UWO? Their gpa cut off is lower and acceptance rate seems slightly higher than uoft and such (because of less people applying perhaps). Less competitive school in some way? 

I may be applying there again (I applied last year, but my application was incomplete due to a late reference letter). I've heard that it's fairly competitive. I think smaller programs in general (like places such as UNB, Regina, etc) that only get 50-60 applications per year just do so because they're just small, and maybe not as well known. UWO does get a lot of applications though, for a Canadian program. 

Anyone dreading this period of uncertainty from now until sometime in January as much as I am? I find myself constantly reviewing my (already submitted) applications, re-reading my CV, SoPs... Searching for more information about previous applicants/current students in these programs..

Gees.

Edited by pkc

17 minutes ago, pkc said:

Anyone dreading this period of uncertainty from now until sometime in January as much as I am? I find myself constantly reviewing my (already submitted) applications, re-reading my CV, SoPs... Searching for more information about previous applicants/current students in these programs..

Gees.

I'm avoiding reading over my SoPs and CV so to not come across any errors that I can't fix anyway. But I'm definitely checking my email way more often than I need to and going over the qualifications of students at the programs all the time. Hopefully I can just set this aside as the holidays come closer and not focus on it. 

32 minutes ago, pkc said:

Gees.

Me! Also checking gradcafe religiously...

1st round, applying to 10 Ph.D. and 5 M.A. 

Ph.D.:

Kent State

St. John's 

Mercer Med School

U Minn

Tulsa

Suffolk

Missouri - St. Louis

GWU

Harvard

U South Dakota

M.A. / M.S.:

UCCS (Colorado Springs)

Boston U

Towson

UNC Wilmington

McGill IPN (Integrated Program in Neuroscience)

1 hour ago, cinderellacomplex said:

Holy cow! :o I'm barely holding it together applying for 8 doctoral programs...are you managing okay with your 15 applications?

Edited by JoePianist

1 hour ago, cinderellacomplex said:

Ph.D.:

Kent State

St. John's 

Mercer Med School

U Minn

Tulsa

Suffolk

Missouri - St. Louis

GWU

Harvard

U South Dakota

M.A. / M.S.:

UCCS (Colorado Springs)

Boston U

Towson

UNC Wilmington

For the record, I'm getting my masters at UNCW right now and they are getting a PhD program starting next year. It's a wonderful program and I have nothing but great things to say about it! Good luck! 

20 hours ago, cinderellacomplex said:

Ph.D.:

Kent State

St. John's 

Mercer Med School

U Minn

Tulsa

Suffolk

Missouri - St. Louis

GWU

Harvard

U South Dakota

M.A. / M.S.:

UCCS (Colorado Springs)

Boston U

Towson

UNC Wilmington

So what's the close total of how much it has costed to do the application process for all of these schools? My budget has been tight with just 6!

18 hours ago, Becks_Psych said:

So what's the close total of how much it has costed to do the application process for all of these schools? My budget has been tight with just 6!

As far the total cost for my 8 applications:

• Official GRE score report: $27 per school x 8 
  • Official transcripts: $10 per school x 8
  • Application Fee: $50 estimated average per school x 8

Overall, I'm spending roughly $696 on applications this year :( I could have used this money to pay a month's worth of rent, or a Playstation 4 WITH a 40" HDTV :P

2 hours ago, JoePianist said:

Overall, I'm spending roughly $696 on applications this year :( I could have used this money to pay a month's worth of rent, or a Playstation 4 WITH a 40" HDTV :P

$50 application fee?!  The fee at one school I applied to was $220 CAD, and all the rest of them were $100!  Now, granted, I did benefit from the CAD-USD exchange rate, but still....

2 hours ago, JoePianist said:

You have to pay for transcripts? That sucks.

$50, wow! Mine were on average $75. I had to pay $35-$40 for each school for my transcripts, because I had multiple transcripts from multiple schools (home university, study abroad, etc). My total costs of applying to 7 schools was about $750-$800. Definitely ruined my semester savings plan :P

On 12/7/2015 at 4:09 PM, VentureIntoNothingness said:

Second you guys. I, in addition, am obsessed with emailing/calling programs as if I am chasing them romantically. (I sort of am...)

I keep telling myself there is no need in checking status multiple times a day for deadlines that haven't even officially passed yet.   (Ask me how that's working out.)

On November 17, 2015 at 1:17 AM, FacelessMage said:

I'm applying to work with John Edens. His research is pretty similar to what I'm doing now. 

Looks like we are all applying to Edens haha! I applied to work with him last year too... He said that he gets 80-100 applications for his lab per year so I'm not super hopeful.

This is my second year applying... I am hoping to get into a program that has some sort of Forensic Psychology relevance, as I want to be doing Forensic Assessments. 

I am currently enrolled in George Washington's Forensic Psychology Masters. So if any of you want to talk about that program I would be glad to speak with you! 

I applied to 12 schools last year and interviewed at 3... I was the alternate at one school but ultimately didn't get in. 

This year I applied to 10... 

Sam Houston, Baylor, Texas A&M, University of Houston, Drexel, Fordham, George Mason, Alabama, John Jay, and Emory. 

Most of these programs have a forensic psych concentration or have a professor that is interested in psychological assessment.

Good luck to everyone in this niche of forensic psych applying! Its really hard to get into... I'm not expecting much out of my applications this year as I decided in October to reapply so I didn't have time to retake my GREs. Don't get disheartened if you don't receive interviews/acceptances your first year! Most of us have to go through this process multiple times as there are so many applications.. Last year Drexel had 600 applications for 7 spots. But I also am happy that I had this year in between UG and reapplying... Just looking at the differences in my applications from last year, I learned so much and was able to accumulate a lot of life experience! 

Good luck everyone! I know it is a really stressful time! Last year I started getting notified in January for interviews if that helps at all for a sense of a time line! 

Edited by daisy_may

School Name: University of Georgia
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/14/14
Degree
: PhD
Type: Clinical
Notified via:Email
Interview Date: 1/25
Additional Info: 
Social event the night before

This school had an early application due date so don't start worrying quite yet if you aren't hearing from places. Most schools don't let you know until early January! 
Good luck everyone!

2 hours ago, Applicant38 said:

@ClinicalApplicant07 Congrats! I am also applying to UGA. I didn't realize they would start sending invites so early! Would you mind letting us know your POI? Do you know if there is one round of emails or do invites trickle out? I'm anxious now! 

Thank you very much! Don't be anxious! I just received an email from Auburn University that their professors each have a different method of contacting students and would be sending invites over the next month and a half, so there is a large chance that UGA is similar and will still be sending out invites. My invite was personalized to me, and not a group message if that makes you feel any better. Don't get yourself too worked up because this is still very early. I know it can be scary but we have awhile before we should start really getting nervous. UGA had an early deadline, but most schools don't send out invites until the first and second week of January. I don't know if it would be appropriate to mention my POI publicly, but I will share if you message me privately.