Fall 2016 Clinical Psychology Applicant Thread

JoePianist

36 minutes ago, Becks_Psych said:

Me in a nutshell at the moment haha. Good luck with writing! 

You too! Hope you're not having writer's block like me haha

Just some words of encouragement from someone who went through the rigorous ordeal last year:

Stay positive! Don't ever give up and, remember, perseverance goes a long way towards your success! All of you have made it this far from diligence and hard work. You may not be the student with the 170/170/6.0 GRE score, perfect GPA, and a gajillion papers in high impact journals. Don't worry, because that person doesn't exist. The only person you need to compare yourself to is yourself. If you've done all you can to get yourself to this point, there's nowhere else to go but up :)

Good luck!

On 11/19/2015, 10:19:24, Jay's Brain said:

Just some words of encouragement from someone who went through the rigorous ordeal last year:

Stay positive! Don't ever give up and, remember, perseverance goes a long way towards your success! All of you have made it this far from diligence and hard work. You may not be the student with the 170/170/6.0 GRE score, perfect GPA, and a gajillion papers in high impact journals. Don't worry, because that person doesn't exist. The only person you need to compare yourself to is yourself. If you've done all you can to get yourself to this point, there's nowhere else to go but up :)

Good luck!

That's why I haven't even bothered posting anything about my applications on the Student Doctor Network Psychology forums ;P

With deadlines coming soon, I'm curious to know where everyone is at regarding their application process? So far, I've completed and submitted 4 applications, and I have one more application to submit before the December 1st deadline. After that, I have 3 more applications with a later deadline on December 15.

Also, did everyone have a good Thanksgiving holiday? :-)

Edited by JoePianist

Thanksgiving was relaxing and drama free for once :)  As for the status of my applications, all of the ones due 12/1 are completed except for one because I'm waiting on one letter writer.  He'll get it done, but geez lol.  I have 2 applications due 12/15 and all of my documents are ready I just need to upload them which I'll probably do today.  It'll be nice to focus my attention on something else for awhile because obsessively checking my email isn't going to make anything happen any faster.

6 hours ago, JoePianist said:

Also, did everyone have a good Thanksgiving holiday? :-)

Thanksgiving was productive! I finished 7 apps so far, 3 more to go today, and 3 more to go before December 15, and then master programs and Phil programs later.

I did not expect the application to be this amount of work though. Since I am customizing my statement of purpose for each school, I have been writing SoP for forever.

I've completed all my applications for doctoral programs (except I'm still waiting for one letter writer to send his recommendations in.....for Dec. 1st deadlines......totally not stressed at all). 

Masters programs are due later in the 2016 year so I'll start finishing those after the holidays. 

I'll have to refrain from endlessly checking my email and cell phone soon. The anxiety of waiting....

I finished and sent in all of my applications last week, since they are all due Dec 1st and I didn't want to work on them over the holiday. I'm still waiting on one letter writer to send in the last few letters, but I'm pretty sure it will get done today.

My Thanksgiving was good! It was very relaxing and I was able to take some time off work and spend time with family.

I unfortunately did not get Thanksgiving (mine was a month ago). I've completed 4 out of the 6 applications due tomorrow. I'm still struggling through the weird application form that TTU makes you do. Luckily all my reference letters and transcripts are in, so there's less stress. All my remaining applications aren't due until January 15, so I can take my time on those. 

Anyone else a bit apathetic towards applications this year... ? lol

I've done my best and put in some of the applications. I have a decent job in research and put in so much effort and worry/stress last year, that I think I've come to terms with the fact that I have absolutely NO control beyond putting in my application and best effort in other ways. Feels weird to not care/worry as much though..

Hopefully I am not the only one :)

46 minutes ago, Syedahum said:

I've done my best and put in some of the applications. I have a decent job in research and put in so much effort and worry/stress last year, that I think I've come to terms with the fact that I have absolutely NO control beyond putting in my application and best effort in other ways. Feels weird to not care/worry as much though..

I'm actually in a similar situation as you. Last year was my first time applying for doctorate clinical psychology programs, and I put in an insane amount of effort studying for the GRE, crafting my C.V. and Personal Statements for the first time, and wrapping my head around the application process with its mentorship model. At the time, I was a recent graduate with my Bachelor's degree in Psychology, and I was greatly struggling to find a decent job besides working in retail.

However, this year, I was extremely fortunate to land a paid, full-time research position in a clinical psychology lab under a prominent mentor in the field who's been extremely supportive. As for my applications, I basically recycled and updated my materials from last year, but I felt more confident especially having my research position as my "ace" this time around. I'm not feeling too worried, as I've been in contact with several mentors who have expressed a genuine interest in having me as an applicant. I know all of that doesn't guarantee me a spot in a program, but after all the tribulations and hardships I went through last year, I'm just trying to relax and enjoy life right now.

58 minutes ago, Syedahum said:

This is my third year applying to clinical programs. All I have left is apathy to protect my sanity. 

1 hour ago, JoePianist said:

I'm actually in a similar situation as you. Last year was my first time applying for doctorate clinical psychology programs, and I put in an insane amount of effort studying for the GRE, crafting my C.V. and Personal Statements for the first time, and wrapping my head around the application process with its mentorship model. At the time, I was a recent graduate with my Bachelor's degree in Psychology, and I was greatly struggling to find a decent job besides working in retail.

However, this year, I was extremely fortunate to land a paid, full-time research position in a clinical psychology lab under a prominent mentor in the field who's been extremely supportive. As for my applications, I basically recycled and updated my materials from last year, but I felt more confident especially having my research position as my "ace" this time around. I'm not feeling too worried, as I've been in contact with several mentors who have expressed a genuine interest in having me as an applicant. I know all of that doesn't guarantee me a spot in a program, but after all the tribulations and hardships I went through last year, I'm just trying to relax and enjoy life right now.

We are in nearly identical boats! Even though the research I am doing right now is not in the field I ultimately want to be in, I cant be bothered to care right now. One step at a time. It's "just" a degree in the end (I say this with caution- I know this degree means a lot in some ways, but I'm just saying that it isn't the end of the world :) )

42 minutes ago, FacelessMage said:

This is my third year applying to clinical programs. All I have left is apathy to protect my sanity.

I feel you. That was my first stage before I came to genuinely see that there is more to life that losing sleep and sanity over this. Things eventually work out, one way or another :)

I'm a bit worried right now since one of my programs is still saying that my application is incomplete because it hasn't received any of my transcripts. I sent them at the beginning of November to make sure they'd get there in time, and they've received my GRE scores and all. Do you think I should contact the department/school?

15 minutes ago, FacelessMage said:

I'm a bit worried right now since one of my programs is still saying that my application is incomplete because it hasn't received any of my transcripts. I sent them at the beginning of November to make sure they'd get there in time, and they've received my GRE scores and all. Do you think I should contact the department/school?

Yes! It doesn't hurt to make sure everything is in order. I did that for one of the schools and the day after they immediate updated my transcript status from not received to received. Sometimes graduate offices make mistakes and it's better to make sure those mistakes don't cost you your entire application! Good luck!

Hi Everyone! Good Luck to all. 

I'm a first time PhD clinical psych applicant. I am currently a Marriage and Family Therapist but looking to create some research based upon clinical experiences in the field. 

Im applying to: UCLA, USC, LLU, ULV, Harvard, Cornell, Yale, Princeton, BU, UC San Diego, Clark, and UH-Manoa.

I hope everyone has received all their transcripts and LOR (Im waiting on mine still!) I hope everyone receives positive love and gains admission somewhere. Good Luck again. Stay positive!!

2 hours ago, Woodsygal85 said:

Im applying to: UCLA, USC, LLU, ULV, Harvard, Cornell, Yale, Princeton, BU, UC San Diego, Clark, and UH-Manoa.

Hey Woodsygal85, I am curious about what program in Cornell/Princeton are you applying to. It was to my impression that these schools do not have clinical psychology programs.

3 hours ago, Woodsygal85 said:

Awesome! You're definitely applying for several "heavy-hitters" that tend to be particularly competitive, and I truly wish you the best! Also, VentureIntoNothingness makes a good point: to my understanding, Cornell and Princeton don't offer graduate study for clinical psychology. What kind of psychology programs did you apply at Cornell and Princeton? 

9 hours ago, FacelessMage said:

Is it Texas A&M? Cause they took forever to receive my transcripts and still have them in the process of "received but not processed". 

13 minutes ago, Becks_Psych said:

Is it Texas A&M? Cause they took forever to receive my transcripts and still have them in the process of "received but not processed". 

No, it was Drexel. I'm slightly confused because I didn't have to pay an application fee either. If it's not updated by tomorrow morning, I guess I'll have to suck it and up and call, even though the international call rates will be killer.

I had that with Texas A&M though, where they had processed the transcript from my Master's, but not my undergrad. It only took them until the day after though to update it. 

2 hours ago, FacelessMage said:

No, it was Drexel. I'm slightly confused because I didn't have to pay an application fee either. If it's not updated by tomorrow morning, I guess I'll have to suck it and up and call, even though the international call rates will be killer.

I had that with Texas A&M though, where they had processed the transcript from my Master's, but not my undergrad. It only took them until the day after though to update it. 

No application fee?? That's strange. Super frustrating about call rates :/ 

2 hours ago, Becks_Psych said:

No application fee?? That's strange. Super frustrating about call rates :/ 

Vanderbilt is free to apply as well! I think it is super cool!

And yes, I think a lot of schools are not taking calls at all now... they just have recorded messages directing you to emails... :/

Hi everyone!

So before I share some of information about myself, I do want to share that these forums have been incredibly helpful. Before 'joining' thegradcafe, I found the suggestions/tips listed on here about applying to grad school extremely useful, so I hope that whomever is reading my message (current/future PhD applicants) can make use of it!

That said.... This is my FIRST time "officially" applying. During Fall 2014, I was in my senior year, had multiple responsibilities/projects going on, and did not feel comfortable applying at ALL. I graduated in May 2015.

Background of "Basics": 
- GPA = Eh for overall (Summa cum lade, not so shabby but not 4.0 material) and 3.83 for Psych
- LoRs = Strong (Former VA director, Graduate Chair, and current director of Lab/Research Center I'm working for now)
- GREs = Horrible. (Did VERY poorly, used week prior to exam to study). Didn't retake them because... life (work/deadline approaching, etc). Let's not talk about these, they make me want to cry every time I think about it.
- Experience: 2 1/2 years research experience (During and after graduation- Worked for VA for a 1 year, 4 diff labs, 1 publications, 9 presentations/3 university conferences with 4 posters, TA experience in stats for a year, and currently working at the post-grad level as a paid RA/Coordinator for a research lab) AND ~5 months clinical experience at the post-grad level as well.
- Extra fluffiness for the CV: Generous competitive research grant for honor thesis (largest amount/award funded by program); recognition by department/chair/dean during senior year, several accolades there; leadership involvement in undergraduate honor societies, large community service hours, tutor experience for HS students, etc.

applied to: Auburn, UNC-Greensboro, Washington University in St. Louis, Utah State University, University of Central Florida, and University of Missouri-St. Louis (Trauma/combat PTSD related)

Anyone submitting apps to these programs? Where are my PTSD/Trauma/Combat veteran population peeps? How are the rest of you feeling? This period has me stressed out, breaking out (literally) etc. The usual I am assuming for those of us on here, right?