Interview/Interview Invitation Thread

School Name: NYU
Interview Invite Received: 1/2/16
Degree
: PhD
Type: Cognition and Perception
Notified via: Phone call from POI
Interview Date: 2/5 or 2/19
Additional Info: Phone call from POI. POI is going to send email with logistics, itinerary for interview day, and details about the program.

Please PM for the name of POI. Thanks!

54 minutes ago, SkyLy said:

School Name: NYU
Interview Invite Received: 1/2/16
Degree
Type: Cognition and Perception
Notified via: Phone call from POI
Interview Date: 2/5 or 2/19
Additional Info: Phone call from POI. POI is going to send email with logistics, itinerary for interview day, and details about the program.

Please PM for the name of POI. Thanks!

Same here! To the one getting the interview, would you mind sharing the name of POI? Thanks!

14 hours ago, lovemc said:

Same here! To the one getting the interview, would you mind sharing the name of POI? Thanks!

I got an email to set up at Skype interview with Cognition & Perception at NYU yesterday. Congrats to you folks--I'm wondering if you were questioned at all in your POI phone call or if you got offered the in person straightaway? 

School Name: Ohio State University
Interview Invite Received: 12/21/15
Degree
Type: Clinical
Notified via: Email from POI
Interview Date: 1/15/16
Additional Info: Program and grad student coordinators sent emails with logistics. 

School Name: University of Waterloo
Interview Invite Received: 1/3/16
Degree
Type: Clinical Psychology
Interview Date: 1/8, 1/11, 1/12, or 1/13
Additional Info: Email from POI with invitation for in-person interview.

Hi @overdetermination ,

Congratulations on receiving the interview! The POI called my SO yesterday evening and just told him about the program and gave a few details about the interview weekend. At the end of the phone call, he asked if he had any questions, but that was it!

Before receiving the phone call, my SO had no previous interview or any previous contact with the POI who called.

Hope that helps!

Edited by SkyLy

Got good and bad news today. Good because I saw an email from a POI from the University of Illinois at Chicago telling me I was "one of the few applications that stood out" to her and she wanted to set up a Skype interview. Bad because the email was from 13 days ago, Dec 22. 

I stopped checking my email on Dec 20 because I assumed schools generally do not send out invites this early and because I wanted to regain my sanity by staying away from electronic communication for 10 days. Then I got the email on the 22 asking for an interview between then and Jan 1st. Replied the email to get an automatic response stating that POI is travelling until the 8th.

I can't describe how confused and mad at myself I feel right now.

Anyone have any idea how bad this looks? Ignoring an email for a Skype interview for 13 days? Does this hurt my chances?

20 minutes ago, pavlovianlove said:

Got good and bad news today. Good because I saw an email from a POI from the University of Illinois at Chicago telling me I was "one of the few applications that stood out" to her and she wanted to set up a Skype interview. Bad because the email was from 13 days ago, Dec 22. 

I stopped checking my email on Dec 20 because I assumed schools generally do not send out invites this early and because I wanted to regain my sanity by staying away from electronic communication for 10 days. Then I got the email on the 22 asking for an interview between then and Jan 1st. Replied the email to get an automatic response stating that POI is travelling until the 8th.

Anyone have any idea how bad this looks? Ignoring an email for a Skype interview for 13 days? Does this hurt my chances?

Well, this is definitely not an ideal situation and probably looks a little bad from her perspective. But who hasn't missed an email before? As far as damage control goes, what did you say in your reply? Were you contrite and offer an explanation? (IE: "I am so sorry to have missed your email, and I sincerely hope we can reschedule. I was focussed on spending time with my family over the holidays and failed to see your message.")

Hope you can work it out!

Try emailing the DCT and explain the situation as well. I wonder why she didn't send a follow up or try to call you when you didn't rely to the first email. Hope it works out!

3 hours ago, Amazon said:

Well, this is definitely not an ideal situation and probably looks a little bad from her perspective. But who hasn't missed an email before? As far as damage control goes, what did you say in your reply? Were you contrite and offer an explanation? (IE: "I am so sorry to have missed your email, and I sincerely hope we can reschedule. I was focussed on spending time with my family over the holidays and failed to see your message.")

Hope you can work it out!

I agree with this ^. I'm sure it'll be fine. Expecting an applicant to schedule an interview over peak holiday season (pre-Christmas through the New Year, which it sounds like was what she was asking for) is iffy even under the best circumstances. I had a couple POIs request interviews over this same time period, but they also gave me early January as an option if I couldn't make ~Dec 20 - 31 work. So, I'm confident that she'll be understanding -- and remember that getting contacted for a phone/Skype interview at all means you're basically shortlisted, which is very good news! Let us know how it goes, and best of luck!

3 hours ago, pavlovianlove said:

Hey, just curious but who is your POI for this? You can PM me if you'd like! Also, they'd probably understand that it's easy to overlook emails during the holiday. Don't sweat it! 

School Name: U Michigan, Ann Arbor
Interview Invite Received: December 23
Degree: PhD
Type: Cognition and Cognitive Neuroscience
Interview Date: Not sure
Additional Info: Still waiting on interview invitation from department.

School Name: UC Davis
Interview Invite Received: December 30
Type: Perception, Cognition, and Cognitive Neuroscience
Interview Date: February 1
Additional Info: Still waiting on interview invitation from department.

School Name: UC San Diego
Interview Invite Received: January 4
Type: Cognitive and Behavioral Neuroscience
Notified via: Email from department
Interview Date: February 4-6
Additional Info: 

28 minutes ago, SIKE32 said:

Has anyone heard from Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) by chance? It seems that their invites went out around this time last year. Thanks!

Nope, not yet. Fingers crossed!

46 minutes ago, Timemachines said:

Congrats to whoever got northwestern! Anyone want to claim? ( I'm curious about the stats that they accept)

I am also interested! I think it is really great that Feinberg has a Facebook page. I checked it today and they said that they hope to send the rest of the invites out by the end of this week. (https://www.facebook.com/nuclinpsy)

It also said somewhere on that page that they interviewed 20% of applicants (288 applications, 52 interviews for 12 labs, and 7 students admitted), 

Only mildly obsessive;)

1 hour ago, pink_freud said:

I am also interested! I think it is really great that Feinberg has a Facebook page. I checked it today and they said that they hope to send the rest of the invites out by the end of this week. (https://www.facebook.com/nuclinpsy)

It also said somewhere on that page that they interviewed 20% of applicants (288 applications, 52 interviews for 12 labs, and 7 students admitted), 

Only mildly obsessive;)

Good luck! I'm going to start licking my wounds now...northwestern was a reach for me ????

School Name: Georgetown
Interview Invite Received: January 5
Degree: PhD
Type: Lifespan Cognitive Neuroscience
Notified via: Email from PI
Interview Date: February 18/19 or 25/26
Additional Info: Had a phone conversation with PI before applying, and another 2 weeks ago. Was expecting the official interview invite.