Interview/Interview Invitation Thread

On December 9, 2015 at 11:27 PM, BritAlysse said:

Interview invitation from LSU's clinical PhD program! Deadline Dec 1, submitted Nov. 12. Personalized email. Interview will be Jan 28-29.

:)

I have a question! What makes an interview make-or-break? For example, what do they want and not want to see/hear? Does anyone know the average number of applicants invited to interview at a clinical PhD program compared to the number accepted? I know it's different for every school, but ballpark number?

@BritAlysse Congrats on the interview! Last year when I interviewed there were about 7 people there for my POI (at both schools). Don't say anything about being a clinician... And if they ask you what you will do if you don't get into this program say you will go do research... I told them I would go get my masters and I got a really funny look. PhD programs are tricky like that! Make sure you read through some of your POI's publications and basically tell him/her that you want to be doing EXACTLY what they are currently doing/are interested in. If you say you want to extend it say in the future... You want to make sure that you fit with their research interests even if you have a vested interest in something else. 

4 minutes ago, Becks_Psych said:

Received an interview invitation from Sam Houston State University! It has been the school I have been focused on for 2 years because of their multi-mentorship model and forensic emphasis. Phone call from a faculty member. Interviews held on Feb. 12th. 

Congrats! Looks like all your letters came through!

On 12/9/2015 at 11:27 PM, BritAlysse said:

Interview invitation from LSU's clinical PhD program! Deadline Dec 1, submitted Nov. 12. Personalized email. Interview will be Jan 28-29.

:)

I have a question! What makes an interview make-or-break? For example, what do they want and not want to see/hear? Does anyone know the average number of applicants invited to interview at a clinical PhD program compared to the number accepted? I know it's different for every school, but ballpark number?

Isn't LSU's Clinical program on probation from APA.  From what I have been told by a clinical faculty here, a program has to be pretty messed up for APA to put its accreditation on probation and it doesn't happen often at all.  

5 minutes ago, Mcklock said:

Got an interview invite from UCCSs Clinical Ph.D. Trauma program, 2/1/2015! 

That's awesome! Do you mind sharing how they contacted you? I'm waiting to hear (hopefully!) from the geropsych focus

4 hours ago, IOSearching said:

Isn't LSU's Clinical program on probation from APA.  From what I have been told by a clinical faculty here, a program has to be pretty messed up for APA to put its accreditation on probation and it doesn't happen often at all.  

Here is what they sent me: 

"We are fully-APA accredited, but are currently on probationary status per our last review. In the last year, the department has made many changes to address APA recommendations, including restructuring of course requirements."

1 hour ago, Tahlain said:

Got a Berkeley neuroscience interview invite! (:

And I've had Skype interviews with people from Minnesota and Northeastern.  

Congrats on the Berkeley invite!
Oh wooow! You already heard from Northeastern?! The deadline for PhD applicants is not until January 1, I can't believe they are reviewing applications this early and so far ahead of the deadline! Do you mind telling me what area you applied to within the Psych department?

8 hours ago, Tahlain said:

Got a Berkeley neuroscience interview invite! (:

And I've had Skype interviews with people from Minnesota and Northeastern.  

Congrats @Tahlain! Can you specify if Berkeley was via email or phone and if it was generic or from POI? I applied as well and anxious to hear back....

17 hours ago, arenee said:

That's awesome! Do you mind sharing how they contacted you? I'm waiting to hear (hopefully!) from the geropsych focus

Yeah! I got an email from one of their admission administrators and the subject title was along the lines of "Interview Invitation"; hopefully you hear back!! Good luck!!

I am sure you already did some research about the basic idea of things that need to be prepared for interview in general. I would like to give some advice that specifically relevant for video call interview: 

- Dress properly as if you are going to have in person interview

- Pay attention to the background of the room where you are having interview, make sure nothing distracted and it is quiet enough to do a proper interview. Also make sure nothing is going to interrupt during the interview.

- Check the internet connection to make sure that the video call will run smoothly, try several mock video call interviews with your friends/families

- During the interview, look into the camera on your computer (not the screen), thus the interviewer will feel like you look directly to him/her. It turns out very hard to do, so practice it,haha

- Don't be nervous, just be yourself, and everything's gonna be alright :)

Good luck :D

Edited by asurachm
spell ckecked