Interview/Interview Invitation Thread

As the title suggests, I would like to start a thread where folks can post interview-related issues, some sample "direction" for posts can be 

1. which program is your post concerned with? (e.g., quant/social/developmental/clinical/neuro/cognitive)

2. which school did you receive the interview/interview invitation from?

1 hour ago, VentureIntoNothingness said:

Guess I will be the first.

Interview invitation from Virginia Tech, Clinical program, personalized email.

Interview will be held around Friday, February 5th, 2016

Congrats on the interview!

I'm going to have a heart attack everytime I see an update on this thread...

1 hour ago, FacelessMage said:

Congrats on the interview!

I'm going to have a heart attack everytime I see an update on this thread...

Thanks! I definitely feel you... the waiting seems even more "excruciating" than the applications.

45 minutes ago, acole1177 said:

Yeah congrats man! That seems super soon. I'm expecting most to be early January.

Thanks. That's what I thought. But I am pretty happy about early notifications.

Interview invitation from LSU's clinical PhD program! Deadline Dec 1, submitted Nov. 12. Personalized email. Interview will be Jan 28-29.

:)

I have a question! What makes an interview make-or-break? For example, what do they want and not want to see/hear? Does anyone know the average number of applicants invited to interview at a clinical PhD program compared to the number accepted? I know it's different for every school, but ballpark number?

Edited by BritAlysse

@BritAlysseCongrats on the interview invite! To my understanding, for every spot open, professors would invite 3 to 5 people (though this varies across programs).

I am also curious as in what would be most appropriate for an interview. I did some googling, but I still feel unsure about this.

Congrats everyone on the early invites! Hopefully I have good news to post here within the next 2 weeks. Judging by the past couple years of threads here and on SDN, one school I applied to calls applicants in the mid-teens of December. This is my first, and hopefully last, time applying to both counseling and clinical programs. Fingers crossed. 

3 hours ago, BritAlysse said:

Interview invitation from LSU's clinical PhD program! Deadline Dec 1, submitted Nov. 12. Personalized email. Interview will be Jan 28-29.

:)

I have a question! What makes an interview make-or-break? For example, what do they want and not want to see/hear? Does anyone know the average number of applicants invited to interview at a clinical PhD program compared to the number accepted? I know it's different for every school, but ballpark number?

Ahhh! I saw on the SDN interview boards from the last two years that LSU starts sending invites around this time! Congrats!!! Would you mind sharing who your POI is? For all of us anxiously waiting folk.... :)

Edited by ReviseAndResubmit

16 hours ago, VentureIntoNothingness said:

@BritAlysseCongrats on the interview invite! To my understanding, for every spot open, professors would invite 3 to 5 people (though this varies across programs).

I am also curious as in what would be most appropriate for an interview. I did some googling, but I still feel unsure about this.

I find the interview advice here: http://www.unc.edu/~mjp1970/Mitch's%20Grad%20School%20Advice.pdf

to be helpful.  

@BritAlysse Thanks for responding so quickly! I applied to a different POI, so I'm crossing my fingers that they will all be sending out invites on different days :)

Also, I second what @xolxs mentioned about the Mitch's Grad School Advice article, as I too found it quite helpful. Additionally, is there a graduate student or professor you have worked closely with in the past? If so, they would likely be another great resource regarding interview advice, since they've been through the process themselves and know what clinical programs often look for :) Good luck!!