Interview/Interview Invitation Thread

School Name: University Waterloo (Canada)
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/22/16
Degree: PhD
Type: Cognitive Psychology
Notified via: Email
Interview Date: 2/10-2/12

School Name: University of New Mexico
Date Interview Invite Received: 2/5/16
Degree: PhD
Type: Cognitive Psychology
Notified via: Email
Interview Date: 2/25-2/26

School Name: Elmhurst College
Interview Invite Received: 2/19/16
Degree: Masters
Type: Industrial Organizational 
Notified via: Email from an Admissions Counselor
Interview Date: 2/26/16 via Skype
Additional Info: I was told a couple weeks ago by the Asst. Director of Admissions that I'd be asked to interview, so this was not surprising. 

Has anyone heard back from the following schools? Interviews, Rejections, etc

UMass Amherst (clinical psychology)

Boston University (clinical psychology)

Emory University (clinical psychology)

UCLA (clinical psychology)

U of Washington (clinical psychology)

Arizona State (clinical psychology)

SUNY Stony Brook (clinical psychology)

On 2/2/2016 at 1:43 PM, lam1234 said:

To the person who received an interview invite to University of New Mexico: Did you do a preliminary phone interview before your official invitation? Who is your POI? Did they give you any indication as to when all the other invites would be sent out? Thanks! (feel free to answer only some of my questions)

No prelim, but I met with the POI at a conference in November. No indication on future invites.

For UNM, I'm pretty sure I saw some interviewees walking around the department this morning. I was in class at the time, but it is a fishbowl (glass on 3 of 4 walls) and I was a bunch (like 4) of mid 20's faces in fancy suits being toured around the department *shrug* I dunno if that helps or not.

Hello! I have never done this before, so I hope I am doing this right. 

I got an interview and I just recently received my schedule and I am meeting with one professor for the whole day. Is that weird? I have meetings with all of his post docs and will be having breakfast, lunch and dinner. Has anyone had this or does anyone know exactly what to expect from this? 

Does anyone know anything about the developmental program of Rutgers? I applied this program but just interviewed on 8th Feb. via skype because I am an international students. I wondered how was the interview day going on and is there any post interview after that? I did not hear anything after interview so I am kind of anxious.  

11 hours ago, 435Tox21 said:

Hello! I have never done this before, so I hope I am doing this right. 

I got an interview and I just recently received my schedule and I am meeting with one professor for the whole day. Is that weird? I have meetings with all of his post docs and will be having breakfast, lunch and dinner. Has anyone had this or does anyone know exactly what to expect from this? 

This is the pretty much the norm. At most of the interviews, I only had one interview all day with my POI and the program director. The rest of the day consisted of meeting with the current students, listening to presentations and food. I only attended one program in which I interviewed with all of the professors. 

After the interview stage, do schools send out their acceptance letters all at once? I was told a school I applied to started sending out letters March 1, but have recieved nothing--should I expect a rejection since no acceptance letter was given on that day?! 

Freaking out. :(

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2016 at 11:29 PM, TickFckTock said:

After the interview stage, do schools send out their acceptance letters all at once? I was told a school I applied to started sending out letters March 1, but have recieved nothing--should I expect a rejection since no acceptance letter was given on that day?! 

Freaking out. :(

I think it's different depending on the school, so it definitely doesn't mean it was a rejection. Some POI's may just be slower to reach out to their students than others. There's also potentially the waitlist. Regardless, it couldn't hurt to send a polite email to your POI asking about the status :)

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone had any experiences with studying abroad at the same time as interviews? I'm looking to apply to Clinical Psychology PhD programs Fall 2017 and study abroad Spring 2018...if I am unable to go to an interview will my application not even be considered?

2 hours ago, anicho44 said:

Has anyone had any experiences with studying abroad at the same time as interviews? I'm looking to apply to Clinical Psychology PhD programs Fall 2017 and study abroad Spring 2018...if I am unable to go to an interview will my application not even be considered?

If they like your application then they will likely be accommodating enough to offer a Skype interview (like they do with international students) but I think that has an effect on your chances, even if they don't explicitly factor it in. Not being able to see you in person, see how you interact with grad students and applicants in various settings, etc... but if they like you enough then you can still get offers!

School Name: University of Virginia
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/21/16
Degree: PhD 
Type: Community psych
Notified via: Email
Interview Date: 2/2-2/3

School Name: Michigan State University
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/21/16
Degree: PhD 
Type: Human Development
Notified via: Email
Interview Date: 2/16-2/17 (only going on 2/16 since my UMich recruitment starts on 2/17 at 9 am)

Edited by dormcat

Hey all,

Does anyone know how typical interview days/phone interviews work in terms of competition? Do professors usually line up multiple interviewees? I am asking due to an upcoming interview day where multiple other applicants are going to be.