2016 Neuroscience Ph.D. Applicant Thread People Thing

StrongTackleBacarySagna

17 hours ago, Fleet Fox said:

Hey peeps -- especially those of you interviewing at penn

In their email, note that they say "Pack warm clothes: hats, gloves, coats, warm boots will be needed since you'll be walking outside across campus for interviews. Dress is casual--no suits expected or required."

I found that kind of odd and I got in touch with someone in admissions. This person said "As for your dress – lots of people end up in suits anyway...  We just like to make it clear that if people are choosing warmth/comfort over business attire it is fine."

Just wanted to let people know (it seems to me at least) that they aren't suggesting jeans and a sweater, rather pointing out that it's silly to wear only a suit and dress shoes if it's 20° with 6 inches of snow on the ground.

Good to know, I was wondering the same thing. Thanks!

2 hours ago, kokobanana said:

I'm also waiting for UCSD neuro... I'm hoping they will respond by the end of the week!

My friend who applied last year heard from then on January 9! And she later got admitted if that is a reference point!

waiting on Rutgers BSN, Columbia Pharmacology, UCLA, UCSD, UCSF, NYU Slacker. JUST GOT WEILL CORNELL NEURO DOE

i currently work at rutgers and they haven't even started reading applications -__-

Edited by zamtheuniman

1 minute ago, Purkinje said:

Did you get an email yet from CNAP?

Yes, I did first thing Monday, thanks! Are you attending the interview as well?

9 hours ago, zamtheuniman said:

waiting on Rutgers BSN, Columbia Pharmacology, UCLA, UCSD, UCSF, NYU Slacker. JUST GOT WEILL CORNELL NEURO DOE

i currently work at rutgers and they haven't even started reading applications -__-

the Rutgers Neuroscience program deadline isn't even till Saturday :(...not sure if this is different from the BSN deadline

On 12/29/2015 at 9:54 PM, proton said:

I am also waiting on UCSD! There is still a flicker of light for UWash but I know it looks bleak

for Vanderbilt-- I got interview email from director of neuroscience but have not received the official email yet (they said in the new year) so I wouldn't give up hope for there!

Hey proton 

Did you happen to get the official vandy email yet?

For those still holding out hope :huh:

Edited by Purkinje

23 minutes ago, Purkinje said:

Hey proton 

Did you happen to get the official vandy email yet?

For those still holding out hope :huh:

Hey! I got the email from the adcom end of last week!  But the good thing is that the interview weekend is 2/4/2-5 so it's not too soon!

UCI is my number one choice. I saw on the survey that some people were invited to interview already so I emailed the program admin and he said:

Please know that our admissions committee has already met and we are currently in our first phase of inviting applicants to our recruitment weekend.

So, kinda bummed, and losing hope. Their recruitment weekend is Jan 21-23. Does anyone know if UCI usually sends out a second wave of interview invites?

8 minutes ago, jargs said:

Please know that our admissions committee has already met and we are currently in our first phase of inviting applicants to our recruitment weekend.

It never ceases to amaze me how coy admissions are -- I guess they have to be, but it's still annoying. Could you not ask that admissions person if they do a second "phase"?

36 minutes ago, StrongTackleBacarySagna said:

University of Minnesota wants this dick. February 12-14.

HI.

I understand that you are very excited about your interviews, who wouldn't be!, but there is no reason to be so inappropriate and rude on this forum. You are not the only who got these invitations and more so, you should be respectful to those who didn't, who worked just as hard as you. And as a thought exercise, consider what these programs would think of you if they saw these posts. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, proton said:

Hey! I got the email from the adcom end of last week!  But the good thing is that the interview weekend is 2/4/2-5 so it's not too soon!

Thanks Proton! :)

22 minutes ago, nebulasector7 said:

HI.

I understand that you are very excited about your interviews, who wouldn't be!, but there is no reason to be so inappropriate and rude on this forum. You are not the only who got these invitations and more so, you should be respectful to those who didn't, who worked just as hard as you. And as a thought exercise, consider what these programs would think of you if they saw these posts. 

Thanks

I see. While I admire your consideration of others' feelings, and I apologize if you were personally hurt by my remarks, I am not exactly trying to present myself as a cultured, wholesome individual on an internet forum. I enjoy acting like an absolute bellend when circumstances allow because, quite frankly, it's fun. People should not become emotionally invested in posts made by internet dickheads, especially when the dickhead in question thinks it appropriate to use Uncle Ruckus as his avatar. Moreover, saying that a university graduate program desires me with primal sexual urges is clearly not a perspective that I advocate sincerely -- in fact, data show that graduate programs very rarely solicit their applicants for sexual engagements. However, in the spirit of human progress, I will ameliorate any damages by improving my conduct in the future and only using the words dick, fuck, or meekrob once or twice per thread.

Cool? Cool.

Edited by StrongTackleBacarySagna

10 minutes ago, NeuroMetro said:

@StrongTackleBacarySagna , HEY! I am glad for your Minnesota invite!!! Not sure how many that is for you now, but it was nice to see that post. Also, I think you should consider moonlighting in stand-up comedy.

<3 I'm 2 for 6. Very grateful, even if I'm not getting gangsta invites like you and others

Hey all, 

I just joined this thread and so here's where things are at for me: 

I'm a 24 year old University of Texas at Austin Neuroscience/Psychology double major with 3 years of research experience, but no publications.

(I actually started my undergrad in acting at NYU Tisch in 2009)

I applied to: NYU -- neuro, CU Boulder -- psych (behav. neuro), UT -- psych (behav. neuro), Columbia -- psych, Cornell -- psych (BEN), Rutgers (BNS), Emory -- neuro, UC Irvine -- neuro (INP), USC -- neuro, CUNY -- neuro, UCLA -- neuro. 

[probably an excessive amt. of applications... but I went in on it] 

Insofar I have received interviews at Rutgers' Center for Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience [Feb 4-7] and CUNY's neuroscience collaborative [Dec 28-29]

I have not heard from any other programs.

NYU is my first choice, but after reading how many people share this sentiment and how many folks received feedback on Dec. 18th, I'm starting to lose faith in that. 

Anywho, I appreciate the thread and thought I would contribute. 

Rutgers' program looks dope. 

p.s. vulgarity is fine :) 

Peace fam 

@StrongTackleBacarySagna heh, I wouldn't say that I'M getting gansta invites :-P most of my programs seem to be reviewing late, and I am somewhat regretting not applying to more schools like most of the posters to whom you are referring. THOUGH I am also very grateful for mine! Expecting to hear more over the next week :-) Stay positive, sir! and again congrats.

4 hours ago, watsonthatcucumberpatch said:

Was it one of you guys who got the Stanford invite? Congrats! (Also, was the mail from the program or your POI?)

I got one of the invites for Stanford neuro. I got a phone call from someone in admissions and she said she'd follow up with an email, but I haven't received that yet.

I got the email a few minutes after posting

Edited by Micecroscopy
received the email

14 minutes ago, NeuroMetro said:

@MADneuro not sure about your enthusiasm for CU - B, but I THINK they are going to be contacting recruits soon. (not saying why)

@NeuroMetro I really enjoy Boulder/Denver and found myself interested in a handful of labs that study stress reactivity (e.g. Maier/Watkins lab). 

I see you're living in Denver. What's your opinion of CU Boulder's behavioral neuroscience program? 

I'm just curious.