So what's your Plan B?

Mystic_Fog

I've been thinking, on my post-application anxiety, about what on Earth I'll do if I don't get accepted this year. 

My Plan B is essentially to find a job in a lab or some other research-oriented job, save money to take a GRE course and re-take the test, start paying off my loans, and re-apply next year.

Its obviously not my ideal gig, but it's not all that bad and I've found that having a backup plan I'm content with makes me a lot more relaxed about my prospects. So I'm curious to know - what are your backup plans? Will you take a year and re-apply or is this the only (or last) year you think you'll apply. 

For people who've applied in previous cycles and used a Plan B - what did you do and how do you think it helped you? 

This is my 2nd attempt applying for doctorate Clinical Psychology programs. For the past year, my "Plan B" consisted of working a crappy retail job while struggling immensely to land a paid research position in a psychology lab by applying for postings all around the United States. Then halfway through the year, I was very blessed to have a former psychology professor connect me with an open research position at my alma mater's psychology department, and I've been working full-time as a Clinical Research Assistant ever since.

I have no idea. I'm applying to 15 colleges, so if I got rejected from every single college it would be a major blow to me, like I'm not grad school material. I'd probably still end up applying the next cycle, but I would fill time by...

1. lamenting that my favorite colleges didn't accept me (even if it wasn't due to my application)
  2. finding a job out of state that relates to my field
  3. moving out of state
  4. continuing to research
  5. losing weight
  6. studying for and retaking the GRE
  7. feeling glad because my 3.5 Spring 2015 GPA would be my 3.64 Spring 2016 final GPA

Have any of you applied to 4+ colleges at once and got rejected from them all? it's one thing if you apply to 3 colleges and get rejected, but if you apply to 15 colleges, that's saying something imho

Edited by highborn

24 minutes ago, JoePianist said:

This is my 2nd attempt applying for doctorate Clinical Psychology programs. For the past year, my "Plan B" consisted of working a crappy retail job while struggling immensely to land a paid research position in a psychology lab by applying for postings all around the United States. Then halfway through the year, I was very blessed to have a former psychology professor connect me with an open research position at my alma mater's psychology department, and I've been working full-time as a Clinical Research Assistant ever since.

Glad to hear that you've landed a research position! I hope it's going well! 

7 minutes ago, highborn said:

I have no idea. I'm applying to 15 colleges, so if I got rejected from every single college it would be a major blow to me, like I'm not grad school material. I'd probably still end up applying the next cycle, but I would fill time by...

1. lamenting that my favorite colleges didn't accept me (even if it wasn't due to my application)
  3. moving out of state
  5. losing weight
  7. feeling glad because my 3.5 Spring 2015 GPA would be my 3.64 Spring 2016 final GPA

Have any of you applied to 4+ colleges at once and got rejected from them all? it's one thing if you apply to 3 colleges and get rejected, but if you apply to 15 colleges, that's saying something imho

I'm applying to 6 (I couldn't afford to do more than that) . Really I think it depends on the caliber of the program - I applied to several top schools and only one more modest program, but my applications were based 100% on fit of research interest. If I get denied I'll be very upset, but I also know my GRE scores may put me in a lower-priority pile that keeps me from getting accepted. And there are other programs I'll be able to apply to next year that I couldn't this year due to financial restraints. I'll also have some additional experiences on my CV by then that could make me stronger. 

Not getting into 16 would be rough, but that doesn't necessarily mean you aren't a good candidate! These programs are super competitive and sometimes tiny, arbitrary things are what it comes down to. 

@Mystic_Fog I'm completely broke but I'd live off eggs for another few months if I could apply to more colleges. I would apply to a 16th but I've already overextended my LORs, I think. but my GRE scores are not great as well. They're OK for  a masters program (or at least the bare minimum), but I would never apply to a PhD program with them. I'll probably be in that pile with you as well.

This is my third time applying to clinical programs. My plan B my first year was to get into an experimental program, which I did. My plan B for the next two cycles has basically been to get some sort of research job, which will hopefully be easier now that I have a Masters degree. 

How nice to hear I'm not the only one that finds preparing a Plan B reduces anxiety early on.  This is not my first rodeo so here's what I've done....

1st Application Cycle

Thoughts - How dare they not accept me!  Don't they know how amazing I am?!  I'll reapply and then they'll realize what a foolish mistake they made before (in my youthful brain this made sense, but now it causes sidesplitting laughter).  

Plan B - Research Master's programs

2nd Application Cycle

Thoughts - Ok I guess I'm getting a Master's.  Am I sure I still want to go the PhD route?  The application process is tiring and expensive.

Plan B - Complete Master's program, retake GRE, gain more research experience, and further clarify my research interests.

3rd Application Cycle

Thoughts - Even though it was tiring and expensive I'm glad I doubled the number of schools I applied to.  *sigh* Do I really have to come up with another Plan B?!

Plan B - Gain more research experience.  Should I have to go this route I'm sure I'll expand on this, but right now nothing comes to mind.

This is my first application cycle..feeling super nervous about it all. I applied to 14 schools ( originally was 8 but my adviser from my masters told me I needed to "cast  a wider net" which equally translates to casting a wider wallet :l ..). In any case, I'm currently in a research fellowship with the military so I will likely stay here, however, I've also prospectively been offered a spot at the MGH martinos center to work with someone who has a more fine tuned focus on my research interests.

With that being said, I would highly recommend that anyone looking for research experience take a look at the ORISE research program. It's a government contractor position  with a very generous stipend thay is presented as a fellowship award (great thing to add to resume!) in various research outlets, but for example, I work with a neuropsych group that focuses on warfighter cognition as a function of mTBI, PTSD, postconcussive disorders etc. They fund conference travel and you collect field data so more often than not, you get to travel and see parts of the US! 

16 hours ago, highborn said:

@Mystic_Fog I'm completely broke but I'd live off eggs for another few months if I could apply to more colleges. I would apply to a 16th but I've already overextended my LORs, I think. but my GRE scores are not great as well. They're OK for  a masters program (or at least the bare minimum), but I would never apply to a PhD program with them. I'll probably be in that pile with you as well.

I didn't want to overextend my LOR's as well, but with 16 you should be ok!

15 hours ago, FacelessMage said:

This is my third time applying to clinical programs. My plan B my first year was to get into an experimental program, which I did. My plan B for the next two cycles has basically been to get some sort of research job, which will hopefully be easier now that I have a Masters degree. 

Sounds pretty solid; I think getting a research position is a fairly common Plan B.

13 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

How nice to hear I'm not the only one that finds preparing a Plan B reduces anxiety early on.  This is not my first rodeo so here's what I've done....

1st Application Cycle

Thoughts - How dare they not accept me!  Don't they know how amazing I am?!  I'll reapply and then they'll realize what a foolish mistake they made before (in my youthful brain this made sense, but now it causes sidesplitting laughter).  

Plan B - Research Master's programs

2nd Application Cycle

Thoughts - Ok I guess I'm getting a Master's.  Am I sure I still want to go the PhD route?  The application process is tiring and expensive.

Plan B - Complete Master's program, retake GRE, gain more research experience, and further clarify my research interests.

3rd Application Cycle

Thoughts - Even though it was tiring and expensive I'm glad I doubled the number of schools I applied to.  *sigh* Do I really have to come up with another Plan B?!

Plan B - Gain more research experience.  Should I have to go this route I'm sure I'll expand on this, but right now nothing comes to mind.

I hope this cycle is your cycle! Sounds like you've done a lot - how has getting the Masters panned out for you? I think this is another common backup, but I don't know if it helps get you the experience you need or is just a good way to boost your GPA. I should have applied to Masters programs, but I didn't.

55 minutes ago, Timemachines said:

This is my first application cycle..feeling super nervous about it all. I applied to 14 schools ( originally was 8 but my adviser from my masters told me I needed to "cast  a wider net" which equally translates to casting a wider wallet :l ..). In any case, I'm currently in a research fellowship with the military so I will likely stay here, however, I've also prospectively been offered a spot at the MGH martinos center to work with someone who has a more fine tuned focus on my research interests.

With that being said, I would highly recommend that anyone looking for research experience take a look at the ORISE research program. It's a government contractor position  with a very generous stipend thay is presented as a fellowship award (great thing to add to resume!) in various research outlets, but for example, I work with a neuropsych group that focuses on warfighter cognition as a function of mTBI, PTSD, postconcussive disorders etc. They fund conference travel and you collect field data so more often than not, you get to travel and see parts of the US! 

Wow! Did you really find 14 schools with good research fit? I could only find a dozen, but I see you're doing clinical so there may be more wiggle room when it comes to research there. Thanks for the heads up or the ORISE program!

1 hour ago, Timemachines said:

@timemachines: We have a lot in common! I'm also applying clinical Npsych with a low gpa, high MA gpa and worked at MGH martinos for two years. we should chat!

@Mystic_Fog  Getting a Master's degree was a really good move for me, but I won't really know how much it helped me until this application season is over.  

1)  It did boost my GPA a lot even though my undergrad GPA wasn't horrible.  

2)  My GRE score went up a smidgen, but not enough to brag about.  

3)  It also allowed me to connect the dots among my research and clinical interests in a way that I had not seen otherwise and likely would not have. 

4)  The type of school and its location forced me far out of my comfort zone in a way that equally freaked me out and was intriguing.  This made me more comfortable looking at PhD programs in places I previously would never have considered.

5)  I was able to obtain more clinical experience and land my current job.

6)  I gained more research experience.

7)  I gained access to a lot more professionals in the field including those with a number of years in and recent grads who were happy to share their experiences and regrets about their programs, internships, student loans, etc.

8)  I gained more letter writers.

9)  It reignited my passion for Psychology and reminded me of why I wanted to pursue this career in the first place despite all of the frustrations.

10)  I was able to determine exactly (not broadly or kinda sorta like my first application cycle) what I want to do and do not want to do once I'm a licensed PhD in the field.

11)  I am way more confident in the skills I currently have and my ability to learn, even though I still have my moments of doubt here and there.

And there may be other things that just aren't coming to mind right now :)

I can't plan for a Plan B when trying to achieve Plan A (getting accepted this cycle) is such a long and intense process. I need all my energy, including my anxiety/nerves, to be channeled to this. 

My plan B is the usual - take a year to get more research experience and apply again. I'll also have to hold down a job too, since the debt and the CoL in my city is getting outrageous. The good thing is that I'll have an MA under my belt so I can at least get a decently paying job, whether that's full time research or full time clinical with the other option as part-time.

On 12/22/2015 at 4:35 PM, EveryDay said:

This is my second and last time. My Plan B is to change careers completely. I landed a good research job, and there is no growth in what I want to do without a Ph.D.

Might move to one of those lucrative fields and complain about my job along with all of my friends.

Ditto. 

On 12/22/2015 at 1:09 PM, Timemachines said:

I took a look at ORISE but couldn't really find anything psych related. Do they usually have a lot of psych opportunities?

1 hour ago, superpsyched said:

I took a look at ORISE but couldn't really find anything psych related. Do they usually have a lot of psych opportunities?

If you do search, the positions are usually titled cognitive science research fellow ( something to that effect). They do have psych opportunities though! 

• 3 weeks later...

My plan B is to stay where I am (I go to school in my hometown), possibly attend my university's general psych masters program and keep working in the lab I'm part of. Continue living in my apartment, or move back in with my parents if I need to. I could maybe get my part time job increased to full time, MAYBE. I would probably take the GRE again, just in case I could improve my scores, and I'd apply to my original schools plus as many more as I could justify. 

And I have no idea how I'd do it. I have a good support system, but I also have a lot of toxic managers and coworkers who would ask loudly and often "so what did you screw up?" type questions and otherwise humiliate me unintentionally or intentionally. I'm the first person in my immediate and extended family to have finished a bachelor's in four years, and the first to apply to grad school of any kind. I have 5+ states and two countries where people brag about me, which makes me uncomfortable even when I have GOOD news. I can't imagine if I had BAD news. Relocating isn't really an option for me unless it's to a university for school.

This is my first application cycle, as I think may be obvious. 

31 minutes ago, bugabooo said:

My plan B is to stay where I am (I go to school in my hometown), possibly attend my university's general psych masters program and keep working in the lab I'm part of. Continue living in my apartment, or move back in with my parents if I need to. I could maybe get my part time job increased to full time, MAYBE. I would probably take the GRE again, just in case I could improve my scores, and I'd apply to my original schools plus as many more as I could justify. 

And I have no idea how I'd do it. I have a good support system, but I also have a lot of toxic managers and coworkers who would ask loudly and often "so what did you screw up?" type questions and otherwise humiliate me unintentionally or intentionally. I'm the first person in my immediate and extended family to have finished a bachelor's in four years, and the first to apply to grad school of any kind. I have 5+ states and two countries where people brag about me, which makes me uncomfortable even when I have GOOD news. I can't imagine if I had BAD news. Relocating isn't really an option for me unless it's to a university for school.

This is my first application cycle, as I think may be obvious. 

Its my first time as well and I'm trying so hard not to dig my grave early but I'm not feeling optimistic. Quite the opposite, honestly. I formed my plan b before I even submitted hah

I commend the commitment of all who have tackled the monster that is this application process more than once. This process is psychologically/emotionally taxing, hopefully well worth it- eventually.

I go back and forth about the likelihood of this all being a big hazing ritual in which case at the end we all get "Just Kidding about that rejection letter! We just wanted to test your character and dedication! Welcome to the brotherhood, here's your actual acceptance letter".. But alas, we are all here going thru this process for real- hoping for the best. 

As for Plan B, this is my first time applying to PhD programs so I made some Plans B,C,D-Z just in case.

I already have my master's/research assistant job so Plan B is to keep working in research lab 

C) Apple for jobs in research labs more close to my current research interests

D) Get certification in Clinical Research Coordinator and work for clinical research (more $)

E)Go to a coding bootcamp and try my hand at that-supposedly pretty easy to break into that field w/ decent pay, save up $ to take a GRE prep course and $ for more applications next go around

F)Teach myself to how to code (repeat second part of Plan E)

G) Reevaluate life decisions

Edited by OCDreamer

On 12/22/2015 at 8:37 PM, highborn said:

3. moving out of state
  5. losing weight

Not a personally but one of the most lovely and helpful grad students I worked with applied to 12 places, interviewed at six and got accepted to one program.Not sure if that is more helpful or depressing.