WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

@artsy16 i think 3 would be good. unless you can get 1 that you could talk hours about.

Question to all: Is it appropriate to tell a POI I've been talking to for a couple of months about an acceptance at another school? I just feel like since acceptances/ rejections are going out I should back off until i hear back from the school.

@Lexie16 Thank you so much for all the info. I bookmarked that response in my browser :D

I did some research on Wellman Creek... do those apartments tend to go pretty fast? I know I need to act now if I want to find a place, but I also want to hear back from more grad schools first... at what point in the semester is all the housing gone?

4 hours ago, artsy16 said:

I'm prepping for an interview this weekend--about how many potential research ideas is a good number for applicants to generate?

In my interview, I was basically asked, "what exactly do you want to do here?" I said that my goal for a Ph.D. is to gain a depth of knowledge (not necessarily breadth...) so I can build theoretical / methodological frameworks to study [my research project] appropriately. (I can make my own reading lists...but going through the process of comps would really force me to *know* a lot about my historical/theoretical fields.)

I don't know what list you need to generate. I feel like people's research interests shift and change once they're in a program..you basically should have a research trajectory and maybe 1-2 examples...but I'm not entirely sure that you need to be so specific. (but my experience is very limited to my field.)

8 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Congrats @Pink Fuzzy Bunny! And I hope everyone is enjoying the snow. University was cancelled so I've been kinda studying/being in sweats all day. Also checking my email constantly. But its only been a week so I'm going to be waiting for awhile. Did anyone else have a Jan 15th deadline?

Yep, one of mine isn't due in until Feb 2nd. Weirdly though, I've already heard from that school! 

@nevermind that's awesome, I hope the department comes through for you because it sounds like you and that POI "gelled" well together! Good luck to everyone who has interviews this weekend, or alternatively is snowed in!

So I just saw in the results thread that people got interview invites for one of my top choices (u mich, linguistics). *sigh*. I'm trying to tell myself that maybe I should wait until Monday before understanding that I've been rejected. 

When I first started this process a lot of people were sort of suggesting that it was a stretch for me and chances are that I wouldn't be accepted. My biggest fear was that no one would even talk to me and that my application would cease to be considered immediately. Then I had a skype interview with one of my top choices (UCSB). I got rejected ultimately, but it gave me the confidence that maybe my application was worth *something*. 

Now that doubt is creeping back in and I'm starting to think that something isn't enough. Or that UCSB was the only place to think I was worth something. 

The head of the group of my top choice sub-field at Georgia Tech contacted me a week back and mentioned that he is going to recommend me for a TA position right from the first year. He also said that if I have any questions we can discuss them over Skype. Should I have a Skype call with him? I really don't know what to ask about the program. Any suggestions?

I have not received an acceptance yet, but I assume he's confident I'll be accepted?

Edited by aksiksi

Just now, aksiksi said:

The head of the group of my top choice sub-field at Georgia Tech contacted me a week back and mentioned that he is going to recommend me for a TA position right from the first year. He also said that if I have any questions we can discuss them over Skype. Should I have a Skype call with him? I really don't know what to ask about the program. Any suggestions?

I'd say definitely Skype! It shows enthusiasm. As for questions to ask: How about details for the TA position, stipend level, questions about classes, questions about hwen you can start with research, health insurance stuff, any other new cohort members, any way you can get in touch with current members, you're really excited and just wanted to talk. 

It's a good thing! Think of one or two pressing questions you want to ask and the rest will come in a conversational flow. Congratulations!

10 hours ago, nevermind said:

I don't know what list you need to generate. I feel like people's research interests shift and change once they're in a program..you basically should have a research trajectory and maybe 1-2 examples...but I'm not entirely sure that you need to be so specific. (but my experience is very limited to my field.)

This is pretty much what my advisers have told me, @artsy16.

You need to be careful being both too broad or too specific.  If you're too broad, it doesn't look as if you've thought over your studies as rigorously as you should have. If you're too specific, potential programs might wonder their purpose is, as you've already determined the minutiae of your interests without their guidance. Programs want you to be focused, but they also want to help guide you. 

My SoP was a careful balance of the two. Not sure if it balanced it well, but. :) And like nevermind stated, this is what I know in my own discipline, so it might not apply to yours.

On January 22, 2016 at 9:44 PM, anthrostudentcyn said:

@7-11 Coffee and @katpillow If I may ask, were your recommenders ok with so many schools, or did you break it up by more recommenders? I applied to maybe a third of what you both applied to and I always felt like I was annoying my recommenders by asking them for so many. 

I actually used the same three recommenders for all of them, but my recs were spread out from Dec 1st to January 1st, so at least they were able to do them in spurts. My PI/rec with the most clout actually had one of his postdocs do the act submitting for him, he just wrote it and signed it away. Needless to say, she'll be getting a bottle of wine from me, or something at the least. I've got running offers to treat them to a meal for my recommenders next time I'm in their area.

I definitely felt a little guilty, but they were happy to help me out! I wouldn't feel too bad if you've only sent out about 7 or so apps ?

Anyone else going especially crazy waiting this weekend because they're stuck inside due to THEBLIZZARD2016?

I live in the DC area, although I'm originally from New England, so while this doesn't phase me, it has been pure hilarity watching the DC region prepare. That said, it isn't a common occurrence around here and it is quite a major storm, so I'm glad everyone was preparing and staying off the streets!

That said, it means I am trapped inside, with only TV to binge watch or work to do (and that's overrated, as it's likely I'll be working from home Monday), and of course, results to obsessively mull over, including someone posting that they got a call from their POI on Friday offering acceptance to a school I'm very interested in! Of course my phone has been silent <_<

NOTE: This falls under all three categories as I am most definitely whining, wine-ing, and waiting! :) Thanks for letting me complain!

I just came back from my first interview last night. I don't know how I feel. I keep replaying moments in my head that I could have done better. Not sure if I'm overthinking or my premonitions are correct. :( 

1 minute ago, mm3733 said:

Anyone else going especially crazy waiting this weekend because they're stuck inside due to THEBLIZZARD2016?

I live in the DC area, although I'm originally from New England, so while this doesn't phase me, it has been pure hilarity watching the DC region prepare. That said, it isn't a common occurrence around here and it is quite a major storm, so I'm glad everyone was preparing and staying off the streets!

That said, it means I am trapped inside, with only TV to binge watch or work to do (and that's overrated, as it's likely I'll be working from home Monday), and of course, results to obsessively mull over, including someone posting that they got a call from their POI on Friday offering acceptance to a school I'm very interested in! Of course my phone has been silent <_<

NOTE: This falls under all three categories as I am most definitely whining, wine-ing, and waiting! :) Thanks for letting me complain!

My friend, I'm right there with you. So glad we're PMing about this, too! I'm close by to you up here in central PA. 

My interviewer just sent me 5 articles of his to read (including a chapter from his upcoming book) and we're going to talk more about them on Thursday. I know it's a positive sign, but it doesn't make me less nervous. (And it seems very a-typical of an interview.)

On January 22, 2016 at 8:13 PM, 7-11 Coffee said:

That aptly summarizes my sentiments! As a joke to my friends, I say I had a better chance of winning the $1.6 billion powerball than getting into any of my schools. Punchline is I did not even buy a lottery ticket :D

You and me both. I'm rolling in hot with a decimated undergrad GPA (one that makes people throw their hands up in the air and say "screw this!"), so I anticipate many, if not the vast majority, of my schools will automatically relegate me to the dustbin. But hey, Michigan State decided to look at my application as a whole, and I actually got to interview, which is great! So good things will happen, you just gotta BELIEVE, as they say.

3 minutes ago, nevermind said:

My interviewer just sent me 5 articles of his to read (including a chapter from his upcoming book) and we're going to talk more about them on Thursday. I know it's a positive sign, but it doesn't make me less nervous. (And it seems very a-typical of an interview.)

Oh god, at least you have until Thursday! I'm sure he just wants to see how you vibe in terms of discussions and reflections on his work. And make sure that you aren't too lazy to at least do what he asks and get an idea of the pieces :)  Good luck!

I once had a job interview for a social science research job where they asked me to code some qualitative data on the spot (talk about being caught off guard!). 

Two of my programs sent out interview invites yesterday, and I didn't get ones. One of them was one of my top choices, too. I can't complain much because I already have some really amazing interview invites, including ones at my other top choices, but it's the first bad news I've had this cycle so it's taking some effort for me to swallow it. The one I really wanted has POIs send the interview invites and they didn't start until fairly late last night, so there's still a chance, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up. 

2 hours ago, nevermind said:

That would make me terrified. Like others said though, it's possible that he just wants you to be familiar with his research so that the discussion can skip the "would you like my kind of research" and move on to "would you like working with me personality-wise".

I'm so, so glad that physics doesn't have interviews, or I would need to bring a change of underwear after each one. 

Also, I think grad schools are talking. I got admitted to a great school several weeks ago (with no official offer letter) but after getting accepted to Boulder (top choice) yesterday, they've e-mailed me two times saying that I will get an offer this next week, and that it will be extremely attractive (increased stipend + fellowship). I've gone from crying because I don't think I'll get in anywhere, to crying because I can't decide where to go!

Edited by Pink Fuzzy Bunny

5 hours ago, vonham said:

Now that doubt is creeping back in and I'm starting to think that something isn't enough. Or that UCSB was the only place to think I was worth something. 

I don't have any great words of wisdom....I just wanted to send a virtual hug. I know how painful these moments of doubt can be. Hang in there, it's not over 'til it's over -- especially since new offers may be made in the weeks ahead as applicants with multiple offers made a decision and reject some schools. 

3 hours ago, mm3733 said:

I'm also losing my mind being stuck inside with nothing to do. Two of my schools have usually notified people around now, but no one's posted anything on the results board yet, so I'll just be sitting here, in my tiny studio, hitting refresh every two second. Ugh, I wish I had the self-control to focus my mind on something else!

Ahh congrats @Pink Fuzzy Bunny!!!

I'm so happy because I managed to transfer out of class lab session to a different session, meaning I leave all the mysogynistic pigs in my old group! Hopefully I will have a Tuesday without tears now :D 

I'm envious of those of you with programmes on the boards to check. None of the programmes I've applied to are on there so it's a true guesstimate. Grass is always greener on the other side right? Oh well, it's saturday night for me so I'm cracking out the vino (malbec) and putting on a movie (pulp fiction I think) and forgetting about grad school, my current programme, boyfriend....nope. Tonight is me time! 

3 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

That would make me terrified. Like others said though, it's possible that he just wants you to be familiar with his research so that the discussion can skip the "would you like my kind of research" and move on to "would you like working with me personality-wise".

I'm so, so glad that physics doesn't have interviews, or I would need to bring a change of underwear after each one. 

Also, I think grad schools are talking. I got admitted to a great school several weeks ago (with no official offer letter) but after getting accepted to Boulder (top choice) yesterday, they've e-mailed me two times saying that I will get an offer this next week, and that it will be extremely attractive (increased stipend + fellowship). I've gone from crying because I don't think I'll get in anywhere, to crying because I can't decide where to go!

Congrats! :)

Hopefully the rest of us hear some good news before too long. It is slightly disconcerting, though. Everyone else is hearing things. You hear nothing. I know it's because my schools haven't made decisions yet, but it's still disconcerting.

Edited by Neist
Typo!