WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

5 hours ago, haltheincandescent said:

Hah. Yeah. That reminds me a bit of my old advisor--great guy, super smart, great advisor--but when we'd set up a meeting, I' say: I get out of class at 3:00, so just let me know when you can meet. Inevitably, he'd say: Okay! Let's meet at 3:00 (in X coffee shop a 20 minute walk from my class). Like.......that was supposed to be the time I can't meet. (I just ended up telling him I got out of class at 3:30 instead.....)

But, probably, you should just remind them--in my case, he was just your normal average absent-minded prof., which seems to be a pretty common (and accurate) trope, so, they probably just didn't read something close enough.

True. I need to send a "hey, I said I wasn't available!" email but I also don't want to. This continually happens to me, I mean even when I attach fun things like my schedule. I'm basically locked in from 8-5 every day and people don't understand that.

47 minutes ago, haltheincandescent said:

I love seeing all the places popping up with gluten free offerings these days--same with vegetarian/vegan. Not because I myself have to avoid them, but, because I (unlike a lot of really uninformed people who bizarrely criticize GF options as if they were only some sort of Whole Foods produced dietary trend....) can appreciate the need for special restrictions.....and also dream of the day when peanut free options become so ubiquitous (not that peanut products are as widespread as things containing gluten, but still. Cereals, granola, all varieties of desserts, other "nut" products [not that peanuts are actually nuts, anyway] processed in the same facilities.....I would love to one day be able to eat. But instead it's sliding the other way, now with peanut butter Oreos and poptarts, two of the only cookies and breakfast 'foods' previously actually safe. Alas. Fewer calories and less junk food, I suppose.)

Usually when I tell people that I had a colonoscopy at 19 to sort out my dietary issues.... that usually shuts up the criticizers.... and if it doesn't, I just start describing said procedure and the misery that goes with it. 

1 minute ago, sjoh197 said:

Usually when I tell people that I had a colonoscopy at 19 to sort out my dietary issues.... that usually shuts up the criticizers.... and if it doesn't, I just start describing said procedure and the misery that goes with it. 

That's a great technique, I should start using it too!   Although mine was 27 I think.  There is a lot of misery involved.

4 hours ago, SLPgradstudent said:

I used to be vegetarian, but if I tried to be now, I really wouldn't be able to eat anything!

Also, on a completely unrelated note, I just looked up where you live, and ooooooooh!!!  Can I come visit you please?  I've seen the French Alps, but never the Pyrenees.  Andorra looks amazing!  What's your first language?

Sure! Come visit! My first language is actually English--I'm a Fulbright ETA, so I'm here for a year (at least...my plan B might be to stay here another year if I don't get accepted to any of the programs I applied to), but I also speak Spanish, French, and (some) Catalan. In Andorra, Catalan is the official language, but everyone also speaks Spanish, and at least a little French.

1 minute ago, rosali said:

Sure! Come visit! My first language is actually English--I'm a Fulbright ETA, so I'm here for a year (at least...my plan B might be to stay here another year if I don't get accepted to any of the programs I applied to), but I also speak Spanish, French, and (some) Catalan. In Andorra, Catalan is the official language, but everyone also speaks Spanish, and at least a little French.

Wow!  That's awesome!  I'm impressed by your linguistic skills.  I studied French for six years and still felt barely competent to communicate with the locals when I was in France.  Although it had been several years since my last French class.  (When I was in Italy, I spoke with my hands, since I don't speak any Italian!)  I studied Spanish for a year in college and can barely catch anything from conversational Spanish.

Have you enjoyed the Fulbright ETA?  Any idea what you would do if you stay longer in Andorra?  Would you continue to teach English?  (Not that it's likely, I'm sure you're going to get into grad school this year!)

I stayed home and worked from home all day. And I actually got a lot done! 

I got a surprise package from my husband ... a box of Cheryl's cookies (http://www.cheryls.com/cheryls-home)! We never do anything for Valentine's day (Because we both usually prefer not to), but he sent me a box of heart-shaped cookies! They're soo tasty!  

So, that's my good news for today! Nothing on the PhD program front, but that's ok! 

*shares cookies with everyone*

9 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

I stayed home and worked from home all day. And I actually got a lot done! 

I got a surprise package from my husband ... a box of Cheryl's cookies (http://www.cheryls.com/cheryls-home)! We never do anything for Valentine's day (Because we both usually prefer not to), but he sent me a box of heart-shaped cookies! They're soo tasty!  

So, that's my good news for today! Nothing on the PhD program front, but that's ok! 

*shares cookies with everyone*

Those look amazing! I'm trying to mentally/emotionally justify getting the GF monthly subscription, but I just can't do it! 

Edit: To anyone else that cares, these are also AMAZING GF (and vegan) cookies: 

http://lizlovely.com/collections/2015-products

I also worked from home today. I have a hard time concentrating around other people while constantly refreshing my email/checking my phone.

Edited by nevermind

Just now, nevermind said:

Those look amazing! I'm trying to mentally/emotionally justify getting the GF monthly subscription, but I just can't do it! 

I also worked from home today. I have a hard time concentrating around other people while constantly refreshing my email/checking my phone.

Maybe just order them once and see how you like them ;)

For me, working at home was more out of laziness. I wasn't feeling well this morning, and I didn't wanna waste energy getting ready and putting on uncomfortable clothes ... so I decided staying at home was best! Plus, it was rainy out today, too, I think (I say "I think" because I'm in a basement apartment and can't usually tell what's going on outside).

21 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Guys...

Two days ago, I got admitted to an Ivy League. Today, my nose has a huge bruise on it because I forgot you had to open a door before walking through it.

When I do stuff like this, my sister says "Hi, my name is Gingin and I go to college!!" lol!!! I'm so sorry you hurt your nose though!! Get some ice and a treat to help you feel better! 

I posted this in another thread, but I found it interesting, so I wanted to share:

When searching all results for my top choice school as I do every evening out of habit, I noticed an absolute crazy influx of acceptances and interviews on the 3rd of Feb, for multiple disciplines. Interestingly enough, PoliSci submits acceptances and interviews on the same day. I guess it might be like Physics where they accept their top applicants without an interview and then maybe they had a harder time deciding between potential waitlist candidates? I have no idea, but it's interesting to think about. I thought that perhaps someone misunderstood an interview request as an acceptance (by thinking it was a recruitment weekend or something), but the sheer number of results tell me that isn't so. Oh, the crazy zany world of adcomms.

@SLPgradstudent I'd probably keep teaching English, but I think I'm going to try to find a job that will help strengthen my applications. I'm realizing now that I'm probably not going to get in anywhere I applied, partly because my research ideas are really, really specific, and partly because I didn't really know what I was doing this time around.

Most days I really, really love teaching in Andorra, but today I'm annoyed because it's 8 AM and I have a really loud, unruly class. Unlike other ETA programs, I'm alllllllllll alone in my classroom. But they're my only group today, and then I get to go skiing!

**EDIT to add: I posted this just before any students arrived! I don't use gradcafe when I'm actually working :) (though I found out about my first rejection at the end of one class and the beginning of the next, which suckedddddd)

Edited by rosali

7 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Guys...

Two days ago, I got admitted to an Ivy League. Today, my nose has a huge bruise on it because I forgot you had to open a door before walking through it.

Aww....

Few weeks ago my brain decided to touch a baking sheet that had been out of the oven for 1min without gloves. My immediate reaction was "you are going to be a great doctor".

Oh god I just got a mail titled "rejection/waitlisted" but it was for a one day event I applied for (something cool but not important). Took my mind 2 long seconds to realize that the title was in German, and therefore it is for sure not Oxford. Phew.

On a side note: I decided to rewatch firefly while waiting.

I've come to the conclusion that I think it's worse knowing when the ad-comms are meeting. For one of my schools they have the meeting tomorrow (Friday) and so I probably won't find out until Saturday due to time differences (POI said she'd email me as soon as she comes out the room). I am just a bunch of nerves! 

5 hours ago, rosali said:

**EDIT to add: I posted this just before any students arrived! I don't use gradcafe when I'm actually working :) (though I found out about my first rejection at the end of one class and the beginning of the next, which suckedddddd)

Aww, sorry to hear about your rejection.  Fingers crossed you get better news soon!

3 hours ago, Justwaitingforneuro said:

Oh god I just got a mail titled "rejection/waitlisted" but it was for a one day event I applied for (something cool but not important). Took my mind 2 long seconds to realize that the title was in German, and therefore it is for sure not Oxford. Phew.

On a side note: I decided to rewatch firefly while waiting.

That would have stopped my heart for a couple of seconds.  Sorry you didn't get the cool thing, glad it wasn't a grad school rejection!

Also, in regard to Firefly: good life choice.

2 hours ago, piglet33 said:

I've come to the conclusion that I think it's worse knowing when the ad-comms are meeting. For one of my schools they have the meeting tomorrow (Friday) and so I probably won't find out until Saturday due to time differences (POI said she'd email me as soon as she comes out the room). I am just a bunch of nerves! 

I definitely wouldn't want to know when the ad-comms are meeting!  Although maybe if I did, I would only be a wreck that day, and not for an indefinite amount of time.  The waiting is making me bounce from anxious/super hyper to depressed/can't get anything done.  Please make it stop.

35 minutes ago, SLPgradstudent said:

I definitely wouldn't want to know when the ad-comms are meeting!  Although maybe if I did, I would only be a wreck that day, and not for an indefinite amount of time.  The waiting is making me bounce from anxious/super hyper to depressed/can't get anything done.  Please make it stop.

I can't even tell you how much of this I feel! One of my POIs said that they are going through applications, "in starts and bursts," and that I could hear something about the on campus interviews this week or maybe next week, but since it is Mardi Gras here in New Orleans, it could even be the week after! I'm constantly checking my email and my moods are shifting just like yours!

8 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

@SLPgradstudent right? It's horrible. Yes I know a time frame, just for one programme though so there's still the anxiety and mood swings for the other programmes. My masters work is ramping up too right now so I've decided to do the adult thing this weekend and go out to the pub.

Isn't it great, being an adult?

4 hours ago, Justwaitingforneuro said:

Aww....

Few weeks ago my brain decided to touch a baking sheet that had been out of the oven for 1min without gloves. My immediate reaction was "you are going to be a great doctor".

Okay, I laughed pretty hard at this one :P

28 minutes ago, Yav Friendly said:

Heading to the States on Monday. Never been there before. And I am transfer from London. Never been in UK before either.

Best wishes. We Americans don't bite, I promise.