Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

42 minutes ago, Shamon said:

Have UW-Madison folks been reached out by professors? I haven't heard from a single but I've heard from other schools. I'm thinking if this is an indication of my desirability in that department, which in turn factors into my decision-making. I would much rather join a department where professors are eager to work with me than one where I've been admitted but the faculty are lukewarm about my project. Anyone else reasoning along these lines?

I too am waiting for JHU!

I am also a UW-Madison admit, and I was contacted by one of the faculty members two days ago. As the faculty who contacted me was one of the POIs that I named in my SOP, I think the department (maybe the DGS?) matches prospective students with faculties of similar research areas, and then the matched faculty contacts the admitted applicant individually. Thus, I wouldn't take the current situation as a 'lack of desirability' or anything of that sort just yet. Your assigned professor may just have been busy or lazy.

Hi all!

I'm new to GradCafe, but it's already proven to be quite the useful tool for a newly admitted grad student. I'm happy to say I was admitted to Vanderbilt's PhD program in computer science! Still waiting to hear back from other schools, but it's a big relief to know that at least one offer has come through. I was emailed February 3rd and got my official notice from the University a week later.

8 hours ago, Shamon said:

Have UW-Madison folks been reached out by professors? I haven't heard from a single but I've heard from other schools. I'm thinking if this is an indication of my desirability in that department, which in turn factors into my decision-making. I would much rather join a department where professors are eager to work with me than one where I've been admitted but the faculty are lukewarm about my project. Anyone else reasoning along these lines?

I too am waiting for JHU!

I have received two or three emails from UW-Madison admin folks encouraging me to reach out to professors. Out of the 6 emails I've sent, 5 have written back eager to set up an appointment. So, I would suggest the heuristic is you need to take the initiative on that and it has no bearing on your 'desirability'. If they didn't want you they'd have rejected your application.

BTW did Wisconsin offer you travel money for its visit day? (I didn't get any)

6 hours ago, jdot104 said:

Hi all!

I'm new to GradCafe, but it's already proven to be quite the useful tool for a newly admitted grad student. I'm happy to say I was admitted to Vanderbilt's PhD program in computer science! Still waiting to hear back from other schools, but it's a big relief to know that at least one offer has come through. I was emailed February 3rd and got my official notice from the University a week later.

I am glad you are relieved, but take your computer science sweating it out over to the appropriate thread. (I thought engineers were good at following directions?) ;)

Still no word from Northeastern, huh?  No one else has heard from them either?  My last communication with them was Feb 4th when a faculty member sent me an email to check in and let me know my application was in committee.... 

Edited by ts1493

1 hour ago, any5 said:

I have received two or three emails from UW-Madison admin folks encouraging me to reach out to professors. Out of the 6 emails I've sent, 5 have written back eager to set up an appointment. So, I would suggest the heuristic is you need to take the initiative on that and it has no bearing on your 'desirability'. If they didn't want you they'd have rejected your application.

BTW did Wisconsin offer you travel money for its visit day? (I didn't get any)

I got about 150$, I think I am close enough that they realized I could take a bus instead of a plane :P

11 hours ago, Lemontea45 said:

Also waiting anxiously for Johns Hopkins. Any chance you know what these 2 concentrations are? And last time I've heard, their spots range from 4 to 6 according to funding. Is it settled that there are six spots this year?

The 6 spots is pure speculation on my part. I know a member of last year's entering cohort at JHU. It was relayed to me that a couple folks had left the program early on, so they're likely admit the full 6 this year. But we'll find out soon enough!

I wouldn't worry about the two tracks at this point. They will determine your best fit, anyhow. 

Edited by proctorvt

1 hour ago, any5 said:

I am glad you are relieved, but take your computer science sweating it out over to the appropriate thread. (I thought engineers were good at following directions?) ;)

:o How did I not notice this?! Somehow I ended up in the Sociology thread without even realizing it. Lol sorry guys! Good luck to everyone!

@gingin6789 Keep your head up! You got into some amazing schools. I also got rejected from Brandeis, but I knew I was a bad fit. I applied because it was close to home and I had a fee wavier. Brandeis has a great program, but my research interests just didn't fit. Congrats to all those accepted!

Just now, ConsciousKid said:

@gingin6789 Keep your head up! You got into some amazing schools. I also got rejected from Brandeis, but I knew I was a bad fit. I applied because it was close to home and I had a fee wavier. Brandeis has a great program, but my research interests just didn't fit. Congrats to all those accepted!

Oh I'm not too sad at all!I posted that pic because I thought it was funny more than anything else. I love Mitchell and Webb and their commentator characters!

Brandeis is SUPER selective. While I felt it was a great fit, I made the mistake of sending in my very quant mater's thesis proposal as writing sample, and I know they have a very qual department. I also said I'd love to focus in the religion concentration, but my sample had nothing to do with religion! I would have been better off sending in my undergrad writing sample which focused on religion and contraception in the media. 

And that's just the stuff that MIGHT have helped me that I HAD control over. I know there are various factors I had NO control over. Whether my POIs were working with other students and couldn't take on any more, whether my GRE scores were just a tad below what my competitors had, etc ... so much out of my control.

So really, I truly "ain't even mad." I totally get how complex the process is!

Thank you for your kind words of support *hugs*

Just now, ConsciousKid said:

I completely get it @gingin6789. It is nice to have closure though isn't it? The things you pointed out could have made a difference, nonetheless you got into some great programs and you will have some tough decisions to make. Also, have my fingers crossed for you and Vandy :)

OMG it is SO nice to have closure!!! I'm just so glad they got back to me @___@

And you're so right. I'm just so thankful and PUMPED about the programs I've been accepted to!! Each one seems like they really want me, and that feels GREAT. 

Thank you for the Vandy support as well! We'll see what they have to say, hopefully soon enough!

Also, congratulations to you again on BROWN!!!

Just now, ts1493 said:

sorry to hear it @gingin6789.  Hopefully one of your acceptances will prove to be a good match.  Are you leaning towards one in particular, or waiting to visit and feel it out?  Good luck with Vandy! :)

Thank you so much for your support! Oh, I feel great about the fit of each of my acceptances! I'm so excited to visit all the programs, too! I might have to Skype in for the one program's visitation day, but I hope to formally visit another day!

Yes, I'm trying to keep an open mind and wait until I do all my visits to get a feel for which program would be the best fit for me. I've been told that visits can change all the conceptions of a program you had before, so I'm trying to keep that in mind!

My visits start in six days!! So excited!

Thank you for asking!

When is your visit to the program you got accepted to? =) I hope you have fun!

2 hours ago, gingin6789 said:

When is your visit to the program you got accepted to? =) I hope you have fun!

I'm not planning on attending the admitted student Open House since it's in just a couple weeks and I have to fly internationally.  Holding off to see if invited to another admitted student open house and use the opportunity to visit more than one place... 

1 hour ago, Shay825 said:

Sorry @gingin. *hugs and a box of Godiva to lift your spirits*

Awww thank you! *hugs*I appreciate your support! And the Chocolate, too!! :-D

@ts1493that's a great strategy! I hope you hear back soon so you can make the most of your journey!