Anyone else feel like you're not going to get accepted?

FY5913

Everyone seems to think that I'm going to be accepted into a program. My PI has already told my coworkers to start looking for a replacement, and as far as my parents are concerned, I'm a shoe in.

But ... I feel like I'm going to receive only rejections. 

Anyone else?

Well... you'll never know until you get the decisions from the programs. I think it is better to think positive while also ready with alternative plans. 

Keep your chin up :D 

Yep! I applied to 6 programs...I only applied to programs with 3 (or more) faculty working in similar areas and cross-referencing my applications with a (relatively) high acceptance rate (25%+ via Petersons.com). I have pretty decent stats (with the exception of my undergrad GPA from 12+ years ago and a low quant. GRE score)...I thought my SOP was focused and cogent. My LOR writers are all from professors from an Ivy (including my thesis adviser)...and I have two Master's degrees, so I feel incredibly prepared for Ph.D. level work.  

2 of my LOR writers got their letters in after the deadline (about a week after the deadline)...and one of my programs notifies for interviews about 3 days after the applications are submitted. I didn't get an interview, so I'm not sure how much of it is due to an underwhelming application or simply due to the fact that my application was incomplete (my LOR writers submitting late). Now I'm just thinking about how it's a realistic possibility that I'm unilaterally rejected across the board, and it's not like I can do *another* Master's degree to bolster my app and I don't want to spend more time in a job that I'm less-than-passionate about. Fun thoughts. :)

I've applied to eight programs and I'm pretty sure I have an idea of which ones I'll be accepted/rejected from. I really don't think I'll get shut out from everywhere but you never know. Of course I'm obsessing about my future at the moment. But yeah self doubt is very annoying.

Same. I applied to 15 programs and I keep finding mistakes. My professors think I will get in, my family thinks I will get in, I honestly don't think so at this point. I keep wishing I went into a field that wasn't as competitive, even if I didn't like it. My friend is super smart and she graduated from Princeton with a 3.9. She's currently unemployed. If someone like that can't get a job, how am I supposed to, let alone get into college? I get my first acceptance or rejection in 3 weeks, so we'll see. Honestly, I feel like there needs to be a yoga/breathing class for people who applied to grad school. Petrified

2 minutes ago, highborn said:

My friend is super smart and she graduated from Princeton with a 3.9. She's currently unemployed. If someone like that can't get a job, how am I supposed to, let alone get into college? 

Because graduating from Princeton with a 3.9 GPA doesn't tell the full story. Not to knock your friend, but a university name or a high GPA doesn't guarantee much of anything. Your career goals, your relevant experiences, and how well you can "sell" yourself to others can get you ahead as well.

I can't relate to the OP's feelings because I do feel confident in what I have achieved thus far and what I hope to achieve with a graduate school education. I think I explained that clearly in my applications, and I know my LOR writers have vouched for my abilities in the same fashion. I don't know how admissions will shake out in the end, but so long as I'm not in D.C. by the start of fall semester then something went right.

I go back and forth. I am very confident in my current research and research goals as well as my LOR and SOP. However, my old grades from years ago from a different major from before I was diagnosed with and medicated for ADHD are absolutely horrendous. Unfortunately those grades never go away and because of that my cumulative GPA is pretty poor. But with that said, I have had an interview with a potential PI at an ivy, interview at two other schools (that I am completely confident I will get into) and waiting to hear back from one more, 3 rejections. 

Yes! Me too. When I voice my concern, everyone's like "You'll get in everywhere!" That's essentially impossible, considering my GRE scores and the quality of schools I applied to. It will just be so embarrassing if I get rejected from all six schools. 

I'm definitely feeling that. All of my credentials are pretty good, good letters of rec, got really positive feedback on my essay. I feel like I'll be rejected just because it's the only place I applied and getting in would be too good to be true. 

Guess I'll just have to wait and see (and hope and pray)

As for myself, I don't really know.  As long as you applied to schools you were a good fit for, (ie, you researched the schools before you applied and are seriously interested in what it has to offer), I would only feel like I could get all rejects if I applied to a small amount of schools (less than 4).  If you applied to like 8 or more schools that were all a good fit, I would not be worried about getting 8 rejects (somewhere you should be a good fit to be accepted), although I would be worried if I had less than 5 schools.

3 hours ago, nevermind said:

Yep! I applied to 6 programs...I only applied to programs with 3 (or more) faculty working in similar areas and cross-referencing my applications with a (relatively) high acceptance rate (25%+ via Petersons.com). 

Oh holy shit. I did not need to see that site. The two US schools I picked are 7% and 11% acceptance rates. My Canadian ones are unlisted, 25%, and 35% though... I hope that the difference comes from Canada schools requiring a MA...

Oh no.

Edited by wine-ing

1 minute ago, wine-ing said:

Oh holy shit. I did not need to see that site. The two US schools I picked are 7% and 11% acceptance rates. My Canadian ones are unlisted, 25%, and 35% though... I hope that the difference comes from Canada schools requiring a MA...

Oh no.

It's not an exact science and sometimes the statistics are outdated, so exactly *how* helpful it is is unclear. It was just a gauge I used to make sure I didn't throw all my apps to super-selective programs. Your application might fit what they're looking for this year, so don't completely lose hope. (Easier said than done, I know...) :-)

7 minutes ago, nevermind said:

It's not an exact science and sometimes the statistics are outdated, so exactly *how* helpful it is is unclear. It was just a gauge I used to make sure I didn't throw all my apps to super-selective programs. Your application might fit what they're looking for this year, so don't completely lose hope. (Easier said than done, I know...) :-)

Okay, that's fair. It does make me feel slightly better about my Canadian choices though, so it's not all bad. (And, I mean, I did know I picked two competitive programs with no GRE in the US, it's just that those numbers are really sobering.)

Here's hoping that my decision to do the MA first in Canada will give me an advantage! 

(Thanks for the reply.)

I'm so glad i'm not the only one...same as you all have said, my professors, student colleagues, and parents all think I will get into at least 4/5 I applied to (one is a "reach" school for mostly everyone, imo). I originally felt like my only huge downfall was my GRE, but after doing more research on the types of candidates my schools accept and their average GRE/GPA/experience/etc., I think i'll be lucky to get into one. I wish I would have realized that I needed to set more reasonable goals for myself long before the many hours and many dollars spent on applications. 

It will mostly just be embarrassing to the aforementioned people if I don't get in anywhere, really. 

I really feel that way for the programs I'm applying to this time around. I think the people around me (my family, advisor, etc.), though they understand academia, understand the worry of being rejected by programs because it's not a current thing in their lives. I keep getting the "rejection is a part of life…you'll get into at least once place" speech. Their confidence and hope almost makes my worry and doubt intensify. I think if I could start over, I wouldn't tell people who absolutely did not need to know, until I knew, my mom especially. 

Yes- but then I realize that I'm uniquely awesome and that no other application will be the same as mine the same as everyone here. Don't let yourself feel down; we all have an 'it' factor. 

Good look to those of you that are highly qualified; I'm counting on my all around awesomeness to tip the scales in my favor :-). Peace and love everyone.

Edited by MyLife2016

When I started this application season I had the mindset of "I have a really strong application this time around and I'm hoping for the best."  I have opted to only discuss this round with friends and colleagues who get that this is a competitive field and "perfect" applicants are rejected all the time.  Those same people also support my feeling of "I'd rather go *somewhere* than have to reapply next year."  So far I'm refusing to cave to anxiety and am just putting my best foot forward all the way through.

I would be careful with the Peterson's facts.... they are currently incorrect for the dept. I applied for. I have the university statistics handbook for 2014 back over a decade, with applications, admissions, etc for each department. According to Petersons, there is a 70% acceptance rate for my dept. In reality, it hasn't been that high in years. Even the 2014 cycle stats were only 20% acceptance, and from my understanding it was even less for the 2015 cycle. 

40 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

I would be careful with the Peterson's facts.... they are currently incorrect for the dept. I applied for. I have the university statistics handbook for 2014 back over a decade, with applications, admissions, etc for each department. According to Petersons, there is a 70% acceptance rate for my dept. In reality, it hasn't been that high in years. Even the 2014 cycle stats were only 20% acceptance, and from my understanding it was even less for the 2015 cycle. 

Sometimes Petersons gives a skewed impression of inflated acceptance rates by showing unfunded MA offers along with PhD offers, so it looks like the acceptance rate is substantially higher than what it would be for a Ph.D. candidate. Sometimes, like you've said, the numbers are off completely. It's not a perfect metric by any stretch of the imagination, but for programs that don't provide statistics, it's not a terrible comparison tool. However, I wouldn't tell people to apply only to programs based off of the rates provided by Petersons, because the exceptional candidate for competitive programs will (likely) beat the odds. :) 

On 1/11/2016 at 2:59 PM, FY5913 said:

Everyone seems to think that I'm going to be accepted into a program. My PI has already told my coworkers to start looking for a replacement, and as far as my parents are concerned, I'm a shoe in.

But ... I feel like I'm going to receive only rejections. 

Anyone else?

Sure do! Some of my advisers, mentors, etc. seem to think I'll get into most, if not all of the programs I've applied to, but that doesn't seem to line up with the numbers very well.

Even if I'm amazingly optimistic I doubt I have better than a 50% shot of getting in. The numbers are stacked against me. However, I've never seen a typical applicant pool, nor has the majority of applicants waiting it out on these forums. So who knows, really?

On 1/11/2016 at 5:04 PM, RCtheSS said:

Because graduating from Princeton with a 3.9 GPA doesn't tell the full story. Not to knock your friend, but a university name or a high GPA doesn't guarantee much of anything. Your career goals, your relevant experiences, and how well you can "sell" yourself to others can get you ahead as well.

I can't relate to the OP's feelings because I do feel confident in what I have achieved thus far and what I hope to achieve with a graduate school education. I think I explained that clearly in my applications, and I know my LOR writers have vouched for my abilities in the same fashion. I don't know how admissions will shake out in the end, but so long as I'm not in D.C. by the start of fall semester then something went right.

I agree. 

Said person might have a degree in interpretative dance or underwater basket weaving. The prestige of the university carries some, but it's definitely not the entire story.

On 1/12/2016 at 1:25 AM, Mercury7 said:

I'm so glad i'm not the only one...same as you all have said, my professors, student colleagues, and parents all think I will get into at least 4/5 I applied to (one is a "reach" school for mostly everyone, imo). I originally felt like my only huge downfall was my GRE, but after doing more research on the types of candidates my schools accept and their average GRE/GPA/experience/etc., I think i'll be lucky to get into one. I wish I would have realized that I needed to set more reasonable goals for myself long before the many hours and many dollars spent on applications. 

It will mostly just be embarrassing to the aforementioned people if I don't get in anywhere, really. 

I keep telling myself that a lot of the absurdly qualified applicants on this website are aberations, not the norm. Hang out these boards long enough, and you're pretty much certain to feel inadequate.

I've gotten one acceptance so far, but it's pretty much an unfunded MA at one of the priciest-to-attend universities in the US. Not sure how I feel about that. At least it is an option, and an option I'm sincerely glad to be offered.

Edited by Neist