Who have not heard back yet?

porcorosso

I applied to only one Ph.D. program (probably not the best decision, but they were the only school that I was happy with that fit with my research topic).  I haven't heard anything back yet, even for an interview.  I met with six professors there before I applied, and my POI said he thinks I have a good chance of getting in.  I'm hoping that if I don't get an interview, it's not necessarily a bad thing since the professors already know who I am.  I won't know ultimately until mid-March at the latest.

2 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I just got an email from University of Washington and I thought it was a decision! Nope, it was just telling me that they will make a decision in a couple of months. That was a huge tease ha

The same to me, I received an email from Iowa Uni to ask for my opinion of their school website... LOL

22 hours ago, iloveOM said:

The same to me, I received an email from Iowa Uni to ask for my opinion of their school website... LOL

It's so annoying! We oblivious approve their websites and are expecting them to make a decision. I would call everyday except I would look crazy. Thanks caller id!

Sigh... No response from any schools today... How long does this persist ?

By the way, I am very curious what makes Pink Funny Bunny very special at this grad school admission game. How did you manage to get 9 acceptances so far? Would you share your success story with us?

13 minutes ago, rosso0125 said:

Sigh... No response from any schools today... How long does this persist ?

By the way, I am very curious what makes Pink Funny Bunny very special at this grad school admission game. How did you manage to get 9 acceptances so far? Would you share your success story with us?

I honestly have no idea. My physics GRE score wasn't that great (750) and I come from a school that isn't even ranked nationally. I think my strength is that I have research experience (coauthored 5 papers, and had 2 summer internships) and, as much as I hate to say it... I'm a girl :P I hope that doesn't factor into things, but clearly it does.

Are you still an undergraduate? Coauthoring 5 papers during your undergraduate time sounds a very difficult to achieve. 

Even getting into one of schools in your choices is a magnificent achievement, Pink Fuzzy Bunny! Congratulations! Which field in physics are you interested in?

Came here to rant about having not heard back from any schools, then decided to randomly check all my application portals and saw a reject from the University of Texas. And they were my safety school! This was my first response and now I'm freaking out about my other applications!:(

36 minutes ago, rosso0125 said:

Are you still an undergraduate? Coauthoring 5 papers during your undergraduate time sounds a very difficult to achieve. 

Even getting into one of schools in your choices is a magnificent achievement, Pink Fuzzy Bunny! Congratulations! Which field in physics are you interested in?

Yeah, I'm in my 4th year of undergrad. Also, the papers are totally not me. I just happen to do research with a group that always includes students as coauthors... we don't have a graduate program, so undergrads at my university typically do publish.

And thanks :) I honestly have no idea what I'm interested in, but I applied for AMO. And yourself?

On 2/3/2016 at 7:18 PM, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I just got an email from University of Washington and I thought it was a decision! Nope, it was just telling me that they will make a decision in a couple of months. That was a huge tease ha

A.... few... months? I mean, I'd be glad they told me... waiting a few months without knowing what was taking so long would be a new level of torture. Even so, hurry up U W! 

:(

In other news, I got to the point of writing on the huge whiteboard in my room "You're not getting into Irvine, in lieu of that, do something productive." My new stoicism fueled drive to abandon all hope is actually going pretty well. I watched a video on it and I've been thinking about it a lot. Hope really does lead to feeling absolutely crushed if you build yourself up too high. It's not easy to constantly fight back against the hopeful thoughts (especially when I imagine myself getting the call or whatever), but I do feel a lot more at peace. I've fully accepted rejection, so the wait is a (tiny bit) more bearable. It turns out this stoicism thing says nothing about impatience and anticipation. :rolleyes:

Edit: When searching all results for my top choice school as I do every evening out of habit, I noticed an absolute crazy influx of acceptances and interviews on the 3rd of Feb, for multiple disciplines. Interestingly enough, PoliSci submits acceptances and interviews on the same day. I guess it might be like Physics where they accept their top applicants without an interview and then maybe they had a harder time deciding between potential waitlist candidates? I have no idea, but it's interesting to think about. I thought that perhaps someone misunderstood an interview request as an acceptance (by thinking it was a recruitment weekend or something), but the sheer number of results tell me that isn't so. Oh, the crazy zany world of adcomms.

Edited by Foreveronward

I have applied to 5 PhD programs in History and haven't heard back from any school yet. 2 of them have sent interview requests to applicants. :(

I asked the schools if they only admit those who are interviewed and they both do not reply to my emails. Well, I guess I will receive rejection letters as answers to my question. 

(International applicant)

It's been quiet on my end. I suppose we're still in the "no news is good news," phase, but the wait is driving me nuts. My earliest deadline was December 15th, for Arizona State, but I don't think there have been any admits or interviews yet for my program (geological sciences) either so I don't think I'm on a waitlist yet? I haven't been rejected. I'm definitely a little envious of people who have at least heard something...  

Well either way, I expect many of us will be hearing some news soon. 

9 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Yeah, I'm in my 4th year of undergrad. Also, the papers are totally not me. I just happen to do research with a group that always includes students as coauthors... we don't have a graduate program, so undergrads at my university typically do publish.

And thanks :) I honestly have no idea what I'm interested in, but I applied for AMO. And yourself?

My no name undergrad does this in the geology department as well. We used to have a masters program but that was cut back in the 90s. So all the undergrads get chances for internships and research experience.

8 hours ago, Foreveronward said:

A.... few... months? I mean, I'd be glad they told me... waiting a few months without knowing what was taking so long would be a new level of torture. Even so, hurry up U W! 

:(

In other news, I got to the point of writing on the huge whiteboard in my room "You're not getting into Irvine, in lieu of that, do something productive." My new stoicism fueled drive to abandon all hope is actually going pretty well. I watched a video on it and I've been thinking about it a lot. Hope really does lead to feeling absolutely crushed if you build yourself up too high. It's not easy to constantly fight back against the hopeful thoughts (especially when I imagine myself getting the call or whatever), but I do feel a lot more at peace. I've fully accepted rejection, so the wait is a (tiny bit) more bearable. It turns out this stoicism thing says nothing about impatience and anticipation. :rolleyes:

Edit: When searching all results for my top choice school as I do every evening out of habit, I noticed an absolute crazy influx of acceptances and interviews on the 3rd of Feb, for multiple disciplines. Interestingly enough, PoliSci submits acceptances and interviews on the same day. I guess it might be like Physics where they accept their top applicants without an interview and then maybe they had a harder time deciding between potential waitlist candidates? I have no idea, but it's interesting to think about. I thought that perhaps someone misunderstood an interview request as an acceptance (by thinking it was a recruitment weekend or something), but the sheer number of results tell me that isn't so. Oh, the crazy zany world of adcomms.

I know! I was debating if I could bribe a groundhog somehow and make it  say its spring already....That coping mechanism does sound soothing, maybe I should try it!

I still haven't heard anything. I guess I was expecting to hear more "unofficially" by now (POIs getting in touch and so on)...but it's been so silent. Most of my programs don't notify until around Valentine's day...but since I haven't heard anything positive (and no hits on my academia.edu page), I've basically convinced myself that I'm getting rejected by almost every program at this point. Ugh. :)

I applied to 4 PhD programs, all apps were due by Jan. 15th.  I've heard from one program in Sociology (acceptance) but still waiting to hear from the other three programs.  My husband just heard from his MA backup program, and is waiting to hear from his PhD program on funding  (he deferred a year and now has a guaranteed spot but needs to wait to hear on funding).  Waiting is so hard!  Good luck to all ... :) 

Edited by ts1493

Still waiting and waiting...I've had interviews with all of the 4 schools (out of the 8 I applied to) that give them but nothing else!! When it comes to the humanities and professional based programs (I'm applying for investigative journalism), I think they go out a bit later than the science and math based programs. It's still so early. And I know we've probably all convinced ourselves that we're not getting into any program at this point, but there's still so much time before we have to approach that possibility. Stay strong and good luck everyone! 

I applied to five schools. Heard back from one- it was a fully funded acceptance (yay!) but I'm going insane now waiting for the remaining. Getting that first decision early on is both a blessing and a curse. Blessing because at least I got in somewhere; a curse because I hadn't even given the grad school decision process a thought once I submitted all my apps… I submitted them and moved on with life, trying to finish undergrad studies and what not…but now, getting that first decision email has made everything a reality and I can't think of anything else. ARGH!

29 minutes ago, ts1493 said:

I applied to 4 PhD programs, all apps were due by Jan. 15th.  I've heard from one program in Sociology (acceptance) but still waiting to hear from the other three programs. 

Oh, wow, you've heard back already from a Jan. 15th deadline?! That's great -- congrats!

I'm waiting on Jan. 15th deadlines too.  The days are dragging on....

2 hours ago, med latte said:

Oh, wow, you've heard back already from a Jan. 15th deadline?! That's great -- congrats!

I'm waiting on Jan. 15th deadlines too.  The days are dragging on....

Mine were Jan. 1, 10, 14, and 15. I did get one acceptance with a fellowship, but I'd still have to take out significant loans to go. I'm holding out and hoping that I have more than one option. Still no word from anywhere else. 

And I have a gigantic pile of papers to grade. Ergh.

On 2/3/2016 at 7:18 PM, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Something similar happened to me the other day with the University of Hawaii. The email was to inform me that they had everything they needed and my application was finished.

The word 'Congratulations!' was in the middle of the paragraph. My eyes read that first and I thought I'd been admitted, only to come to the realization that the email said they should have a decision ready by April (!!).

Congratulations to whoever got acceptance. Guys, please I need your advice... the waiting is killing me too for applications which had deadlines late December and early January. Do you recommend that I contact the institutions or wait for another week or so? The schools that I applied to had no specific dates for decisions, but as  of previous years some of them were sending out their decisions early February... Some friends are asking me to wait since my email may affect my funding! Is this true?!!!

3 minutes ago, PhD in English said:

Congratulations to whoever got acceptance. Guys, please I need your advice... the waiting is killing me too for applications which had deadlines late December and early January. Do you recommend that I contact the institutions or wait for another week or so? The schools that I applied to had no specific dates for decisions, but as  of previous years some of them were sending out their decisions early February... Some friends are asking me to wait since my email may affect my funding! Is this true?!!!

If they usually send out their decisions in early February, why on Earth would you contact them in early February? I don't think it would affect your funding, but they probably will not appreciate a superfluous email in their inbox. 

Edited by Pink Fuzzy Bunny

Sorry Pink, I should have also mentioned that... during my application process, after the school had received all my documents, they sent me an email saying: You should hear back from the Graduate Committee within 3 to 4 weeks and that was on January 1st (from one school) and on January 7th (from another).