2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

I also applied to UCSF Tetrad, and it seems like they're doing the same thing as last year where they send them out in waves. There were people hearing from the program as late as mid-January for interviews last year, so I wouldn't be too worried if you haven't heard anything yet. I also highly doubt that only one or two people on this forum got interviews at such a popular program :) Congrats to those who did, though! I'm hoping at least a few of us will be joining you!

1 hour ago, Epigenetics said:

Funny story I got a call from UC Berkeley MCB right at 5pm on Friday, and it wasn't until the professor sent a follow-up e-mail that I realized it was a professor. I thought it was just a dude in the admissions office. Haha.

Do you know when MCB is going to start officially sending out interview emails?

On 12/18/2016 at 11:51 AM, KR Marksmen said:

I dont have like concrete evidence they do or dont, but judging off of survey and the emails I think its by program. I got a general email from DBBS followed by a program specific email. I know someone else also got a washu biochem invite on here the same day as me.....dont know how much that helps. 

What major you applied to WashU DBBS?

2 hours ago, Epigenetics said:

The question was about UCSF Tetrad though. Look at the post.

The original post was about UCSD BMS, which I think the person was hoping would send out January invites. I'm talking about that, UCSF Tetrad, and Sinai. But apparently TETRAD may go out in batches. 

1 hour ago, thezonehunk said:

Regarding Berkeley MCB: I got an email today from an AdCom member inviting me to the interview weekends, saying that " Our recruitment visits are February 12-14 and February 26-28, 2017.  Reservations will be made on a first-come, first-serve basis.  You will be receiving an e-mail from Sarah Hamilton, a staff member in our Graduate Affairs Office on Tuesday, January 3, 2017 with all the details/information about signing up for a recruitment visit. "

2 hours ago, thezonehunk said:

The official e-mails are going out 1/3 according to this professor, but I think they do this professor call thing as a pretty uniform notification method.

Hey Everyone!

Finally got around to making an account. 

My list is: UChicago (BMB), Northwestern (IBiS), UCSD,  UCSF (TETRAD), UWashington, UMichigan (MCDB), Yale (BBS), and Columbia (Cell and Molecular).

So far I've heard back from UChicago (12/12), Northwestern (12/7), UCSF (12/15), UWashington (12/14), and Yale (12/15) with interviews! :D Has anyone heard anything back from the schools I haven't heard from yet? Thanks, and good luck to everyone! 

3 minutes ago, meioticmadness said:

Hey Everyone!

Finally got around to making an account. 

My list is: UChicago (BMB), Northwestern (IBiS), UCSD,  UCSF (TETRAD), UWashington, UMichigan (MCDB), Yale (BBS), and Columbia (Cell and Molecular).

So far I've heard back from UChicago (12/12), Northwestern (12/7), UCSF (12/15), UWashington (12/14), and Yale (12/15) with interviews! :D Has anyone heard anything back from the schools I haven't heard from yet? Thanks, and good luck to everyone! 

Which UWashington program? I'm waiting on Genome Sciences.

Anyone happen to know Sloan  Kettering's post-interview admission statistics?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for how to NOT freeze in New York/east coast during interview season (california girl here), especially since formal-wear (at least the ones i have) aren't exactly the warmest..... :D 

1 minute ago, Born-to-pipette said:

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for how to NOT freeze in New York/east coast during interview season (california girl here), especially since formal-wear (at least the ones i have) aren't exactly the warmest..... :D 

As far as I've seen the interviews are casual wear, I haven't seen much discussion of needing to dress up for this!

3 minutes ago, Born-to-pipette said:

I read online that they accept a third of the students they interviewed. 

I realized I never did my little introduction!

I'm applying to: Harvard (Systems Biology), Harvard (BBS), MIT (Biology), Stanford (Biosciences - Genetics), UCSF (TETRAD), UC Berkeley (MCB), and UWashington (Genome Sciences).

Already heard from UCSF (12/15), Harvard BBS (12/16), and Berkeley (12/16). Still waiting on the rest.

I'm actually a computational biologist in an HMS cancer lab, so if you have any questions about Boston or Harvard PhD programs I'm well-versed, about half my lab is BBS and the other half is Chem Bio. Happy waiting to all!

13 minutes ago, Epigenetics said:

I'm applying to: Harvard (Systems Biology), Harvard (BBS), MIT (Biology), Stanford (Biosciences - Genetics), UCSF (TETRAD), UC Berkeley (MCB), and UWashington (Genome Sciences).

Already heard from UCSF (12/15), Harvard BBS (12/16), and Berkeley (12/16). Still waiting on the rest.

I'm actually a computational biologist in an HMS cancer lab, so if you have any questions about Boston or Harvard PhD programs I'm well-versed, about half my lab is BBS and the other half is Chem Bio. Happy waiting to all!

I trust you will make the right decision by staying Boston? ;)

2 minutes ago, blc073 said:

I trust you will make the right decision by staying Boston? ;)

I'm not keen on staying at Harvard, since I already have a Harvard undergrad degree and two years as a staff scientist here. However I only applied to programs that I could see myself attending and had faculty I wanted to work with, so we'll see!

On 12/17/2016 at 0:42 PM, Epigenetics said:

Does anyone know about Stanford Biosciences admissions? It's my understanding that it's program-by-program, but I'm seeing a couple people have heard from them. Does anyone have intel on this? Thanks!

I received an invitation on Friday for the home program I applied to. However, as you said, admissions are home program-based and this is clarified in the email as well. Stanford Biosciences has one single umbrella program interview weekend (March 2-4), but decisions for each respective home program have not all necessarily been finalized yet.

Edited by openmicrobenight

20 minutes ago, Epigenetics said:

I'm not keen on staying at Harvard, since I already have a Harvard undergrad degree and two years as a staff scientist here. However I only applied to programs that I could see myself attending and had faculty I wanted to work with, so we'll see!

Well I'm sure you will have your choice of program! 

1 hour ago, Epigenetics said:

Hi, nice to meet you. Do you have any idea when will Harvard Systems Biology send out interviews? Thanks!