So.... We're moving to Bloomington? Indiana University- Fall 2016

Phiner. Determination

Hi there! I have an offer from IU that I would be CRAZY not to accept. Thought this would be a great place to chat with others about the preparations for IU. Maybe even share tips and tricks relating to apartment hunting and other fun (stressful) activities. GO HOOSIERS!! 

sports_logo_college_IU.jpg

Edited by Phiner. Determination

13 hours ago, PhDinPublicHealthHopeful said:

I can't wait to hear from IU-B! Have you visited yet?

Yes!! The city is amazing! So much to do and see! It is like a hidden gem in Indiana. The campus is SO FREAKING BEAUTIFUL! I fell in love as soon as I got out of my car! I hope you hear from them soon! It really is a wonderful place. :-) Finding apartments will be the struggle, but it is worth it! 

There are some nice homes in the area. I visited a couple of times. Most recently during my interview. The winters can be rough. I am from Michigan so I am use to the weather. I would say it is a lot warmer than Michigan. Indiana's winter lasted for about a month! lol Most of that month there was no snow. The snow brings so many additional activities though! Plus, the number of shops, theater, and eateries will take you mind off of the cold.You will love it!! :D

@Phiner. Determination

I am cold in 50degree weather! Ahhh, it would be a huge chsnge, but I do hear the area is nice and super affordable! Right now my tiny 1950s house, 1000sq 3b1ba house is worth about 600k-700k which is insane and disgusting. I am hoping to find a similar house in Bloomington for much much cheaper! 

If you could describe bloomington, what would you say it is like?

On 3/4/2016 at 2:15 AM, PhDinPublicHealthHopeful said:

@Phiner. Determination

I am cold in 50degree weather! Ahhh, it would be a huge chsnge, but I do hear the area is nice and super affordable! Right now my tiny 1950s house, 1000sq 3b1ba house is worth about 600k-700k which is insane and disgusting. I am hoping to find a similar house in Bloomington for much much cheaper! 

If you could describe bloomington, what would you say it is like?

I would say it is like a blue dot in a sea of red. lol The housing is nice in the area. There are parts of town that are better than others, but it is a wonderful city. Yea, you are going to have a fun time adjusting to the weather. It can be pretty cold. For the most part, it has been warm here in Southern Indiana. Are you moving in the summer? I see you are from CA.  I am actually visiting the San Francisco in June.

@Phiner. DeterminationThis is so helpful! I am anxiously awaiting to see if I even got in yet! AHH! It's nervewracking!  I would move in the Summer - most likely mid to late summer. Hopefully buy a house or condo and begin the adventure of a lifetime! :)

SF visit! Have you ever been before? I'm about 40 or so miles away, but since this is a HUGE metro area, one area blends into the next. What are your plans while you're here?

@PhDinPublicHealthHopeful You are welcome!!! Waiting can be tough. I am hoping for good news for you! Have you contacted the school to check your status? 

I have never been to SF. I am super excited to visit!! A friend of mine is planning to move there, and is hoping to find a place during our visit. Plus, it will be pride weekend!! 

Pride is fun! :) I went and performed maaaaaaaaaany years ago! I was cheerleading with the adult cheerleading groups in Pride! :) Enjoy the city! So much to do!

Oh yes, have been bugging them like crazy! Any day now!!

Has your friend looked on Craiglist?

@PhDinPublicHealthHopeful I am super excited to go! My friend has been looking some. He is moving from FL and has some friends who have relocated already. :-) I hear Pride is amazing in SF. I never been to one before, but SF sounds like a ton of fun! 

I hope you hear from them soon! I am not sure if your National Body has deadlines for offers like psychology, but they should give you all enough time to consider your options. 

13 hours ago, Phiner. Determination said:

So looking for apartments kind of suck..lol I am hopeful, but things are getting costly! Well worth it though! :D

Yeah? I know the cost of attendance puts the entry-level rent at $600. Somebody told me that the de facto "grad student areas" are to the south and east of the university, and that those are usually cheaper. Some even give a discount for being a grad student. Oh, and supposedly apartments are cheaper and cheaper the farther away from the university you get. So if you're planning on driving (and I've heard grad assistants get an upgraded parking pass), that might be the way to go.

Edited by aslabchu

17 hours ago, aslabchu said:

Yeah? I know the cost of attendance puts the entry-level rent at $600. Somebody told me that the de facto "grad student areas" are to the south and east of the university, and that those are usually cheaper. Some even give a discount for being a grad student. Oh, and supposedly apartments are cheaper and cheaper the farther away from the university you get. So if you're planning on driving (and I've heard grad assistants get an upgraded parking pass), that might be the way to go.

Yes! Such great information!! I looked at a few apartments in both areas. Will surely be sending in a app soon for a couple of places. Are you currently attending IU?:)

On 3/19/2016 at 7:14 AM, IUB_GCDB said:

Got offer from IU too (funded PhD program in Biological Sciences). Also have an offer from University of Kansas - Lawrence. Kind of confused where to go. Any suggestions?

Congratulations on your acceptances! I was in a similar boat with the four acceptance I received. All were top tier, R1 universities, and very prestigious programs. It came down to funding, research focus, and opportunities for academic/ professional growth ( Dual degrees, community impact, conference presentation rate, opportunity for international travel, and the mentor to mentee ratio). Also, seeing that this is a 5+ year commitment, I researched the environments thoroughly. This included the campus and city.

Bloomington is a wonderful place. The city is amazing, and the university offers a plethora of supports to its' students. My only tip would be to do some soul-searching and get a independent feel for each community. Think of where you want to be in the next five years. Which program can offer you the most support and resources to reach those goals? Also, if community is important to you; what are relationships like among program members? Is there conflict and turmoil, or is there a sense of togetherness and unity? It is a very difficult decision to make. You are right where many of us find ourselves during this time. I have full faith that you will make the decision that is best for you. Just keep exploring your options and be cognizant of your future aspirations. Again, congratulation! 

Accepted my offer, so I'll be there. They've got an "experience day" thing for my program on April 1st, so I'll be in town checking out the sights and doing some due diligence on the ol' apartment search. and, of course, being wooed in a tremendously boring way.

@aslabchu Congratulation on accepting the offer!! Yea, the "Welcome Day" for my program is in August. Pretty excited. Just needed funding to be sorted out. It is almost impossible for out of state students to declare residency for tuition purposes. 

Apartment hunting has been eh. Thinking I may have to secure a roommate do to stipend levels .  

3 hours ago, aslabchu said:

This is what I've heard. It's a shame.

I second this. 

If you're attending IU for a masters, theres no reason to switch state residencies unless you see yourself staying in Indy longer than a year or the university is funding you thus switching residencies is required. I started my MA in history, expecting to finish in 2 academic years, but it looks like I will finish everything by this fall (I started my program fall, 2015). If you're driving across country with your belongings (especially from CA) or have any general questions about Bloomington, I can answer any questions/concerns =)

Bloomington is definitely a charming blue dot in a red sea. It has a lot of things to do, places to see, but be warned (if you're coming from a place that doesn't have a winter) you need to plan ahead, i.e buy layered clothing (which I didn't have coming from LA haha), car maintenance, proper footwear. 

Hey, any historians admitted to IU for the fall semester? We should connect.

I'm planning a campus visit around April 20-21st and it would be great to meet just anyone who's gonna start at Indiana soon, not just people from the history program.

Hello all! Just curious who has or will be visiting soon? Or if anyone can describe MeadowCreek? I already signed the lease, but am curious how reliable the #5 bus is, and really any bus in Bloomington. I'll have my car but don't really want to drive into campus that often if I can avoid it.

7 hours ago, PhDinPublicHealthHopeful said:

Hello all! Just curious who has or will be visiting soon? Or if anyone can describe MeadowCreek? I already signed the lease, but am curious how reliable the #5 bus is, and really any bus in Bloomington. I'll have my car but don't really want to drive into campus that often if I can avoid it.

My understanding is that the buses are one of the best parts about IU. They're free for students, relatively prompt, reliable, and accessible (they have a phone app so you can see where your bus is). I talked to some of the various offices on campus and I was strongly cautioned not to try to park on campus on a regular basis, even with an upgraded permit. They give out many more than there are actual spots, so there's quite the competition to park.