So.... We're moving to Bloomington? Indiana University- Fall 2016

Phiner. Determination

2 hours ago, aslabchu said:

My understanding is that the buses are one of the best parts about IU. They're free for students, relatively prompt, reliable, and accessible (they have a phone app so you can see where your bus is). I talked to some of the various offices on campus and I was strongly cautioned not to try to park on campus on a regular basis, even with an upgraded permit. They give out many more than there are actual spots, so there's quite the competition to park.

The bus system is free for all IU students, and somewhat reliable. I say, somewhat because in the winter time they have a tendency to be a few mins late/early at the stops, so you need to keep an eye on the app. If you search in the app store "Indiana University," download their main app. Using the app you can search/enroll-in classes, check emails, use OnCourse/Canvas, and yes, check the location of the bus. I heard they're redoing the app over the summer, so it'll be better by the new academic year. 

I would highly advise NOT purchasing an on campus parking pass. They do oversell more permits than actual spots, and unless you arrive early in the morning, you'll have a very hard time finding parking. They also cost a few hundred bucks, ouch. Don't risk parking on campus without a pass either cause campus police always patrol the parking areas. If you need to drop something off and only need to park for 10-20mins, on the east side (near the Law School) you can find free 30min parking by stores, restaurants, bars, etc. Theyre pretty empty during the daytime, but don't leave your car for longer than the available time. 

I take the #6 and have a majority of my classes in Ballantine Hall (biggest, ugliest building on campus =( ). I usually leave 30 mins before class starts, and always arrive on time. Thats my experience.

Hi everyone, 

Congrats to everybody who has been admitted to IU! I just decided to come to IU in Fall 2016 for Psychology PhD. I am from LA and looking for a roommate to move in this August (early Augst). My orientation starts on August 7. I haven't secured a place yet, but I'm going to start looking for an apt soon. I will be moving to Bloomington for grad school and would prefer roommates who also are graduate students or working as professionals. Pets-free and smoke-free. I do not have a car, and thus would prefer to live close to campus in a quiet neighbourhood. However, I'd also be willing to live 10-15 mins walking distance away from campus to lower the cost of rent. I was wondering if anyone is also looking for roommate(s) to share a house or apartment :) 

Well, I went apartment shopping in Bloomington. I gotta tell you guys: BE CAREFUL. There are a lot of shady companies out there. DO NOT get an apartment sight unseen. Management companies will try to tell you that all of the units are the same, so they don't need to show you anything other than promo shots. That's when you should know they're trying to mislead you. Be sure to Google these companies. Check out their reviews. You're likely to find some shady stuff going on.

I'm from an area in Michigan with some truly awful economic hardship and I have never seen apartments (or neighborhoods; the entire block was like that!) as run down and gross as the ones I saw last weekend. In general, if they're charging less than $600, they're within 2 miles of campus, and it's not a house, you are in for some serious weirdness. You have to ask yourself: if it's so close and so great, why aren't they charging the market rate? (Answer: it's because it's a hovel.)

Anyway, there are some reputable places left. I went with Meadow Park*. It's a little further away from campus than most (about 2 miles from my program's building), but it has an excellent reputation and is generally a nice-looking complex. Site here: http://www.meadowpark-apts.com/ They have another complex a little closer to campus, Fountain Park, but it's not quite as good of a deal. (More expensive for the same size.) http://www.fountainpark-apts.com/. When I talked to the company, they said they had tons of units left.

*PS. They're not giving me any money or anything for this plug, but I kinda wish they would.

Edited by aslabchu

Everybody admitted to IU, Congrats!

I decided to accept PhD program in computer science. (Fall 2016) I'm looking for an apt and also a grad student for roommate, so contact me if interested.

(prefer female, pet/smoke not allowed)

I've never been to or considered Bloomington, but if you are looking for something to do and like music at all, it has one of the best music schools in the country.  Lots of student and faculty performances.  Their opera program was also considered world class-- don't know what's up with that now.

31 minutes ago, Phiner. Determination said:

@aslabchu Thanks for the useful information! I will be traveling to Bloomington this weekend for a conference, and will be looking for an apartment. Do you mind sharing the names of some you visited that were not as awesome as they seemed ?

I think the best way to handle this is through a PM. Check your inbox.

Hi all! I haven't been to this forum in a whlie.

I, unfortunately/fortunately signed my lease siteunseen. Hoping it works itself out with the phenomenal reviews of MeadowCreek. It's one of the newer cottages so cross fingers it works itself out! Now I'm scccrd! I'll be there at the end of this month for a visit which is exciting! :)

Anyone want to meet up when the semester rolls around? I'm 33, female, originally from California....nervous about the move!

55 minutes ago, PhDinPublicHealthHopeful said:

I, unfortunately/fortunately signed my lease siteunseen. Hoping it works itself out with the phenomenal reviews of MeadowCreek. It's one of the newer cottages so cross fingers it works itself out! Now I'm scccrd! I'll be there at the end of this month for a visit which is exciting! :)

Anyone want to meet up when the semester rolls around? I'm 33, female, originally from California....nervous about the move!

Do we get to meet your dog? If so, sure. :P

Hi,

I have been accepted at IU (Kelley School of Management for a Ph.D. program and I am in the apartment hunting phase.I have zeroed in on Fountain Park Apartments (2 Bedroom, 1Bathroom) and I am looking for a female roommate. The total rent is $734 and includes  an oven and range, dishwasher, garbage disposal, a full-size refrigerator, a floor to ceiling built-in bookshelf, and a spacious closet in both bedrooms.  It's quite close to IU and College Mall. I wasn't quite sure where to find a roommate, so I am posting here.

In case anyone is interested or knows where I can find a roommate please do contact me.

On 4/10/2016 at 6:20 PM, PhDinPublicHealthHopeful said:

Hi, I am from CA too! Also a bit worried about the move (the weather in particular) MeadowCreek has amazing reviews, but a bit far from the campus. Are you planning on driving?

On 4/6/2016 at 2:39 AM, ejf said:

Everybody admitted to IU, Congrats!

I decided to accept PhD program in computer science. (Fall 2016) I'm looking for an apt and also a grad student for roommate, so contact me if interested.

(prefer female, pet/smoke not allowed)

Hi, am looking for a roommate as well.

You will find the details of the apartment I am looking at in the trailing post. Do let me know if it interests you.

@hahaha1234 there is a bus stop right outside the complex with campus drop off. My goal was to be a distance away in a family-like setting (away from partiers). Where in California are you coming from? I will have a car though for days I just want to drive in. I'm super worried about the weather, too!! The snow and cold especially!

1 hour ago, PhDinPublicHealthHopeful said:

@hahaha1234 there is a bus stop right outside the complex with campus drop off. My goal was to be a distance away in a family-like setting (away from partiers). Where in California are you coming from? I will have a car though for days I just want to drive in. I'm super worried about the weather, too!! The snow and cold especially!

I'm from LA!. What about you? I have not seen snow for years and really don't know how to prepare for the cold 

Hello, future Hoosiers!!!

I'm so excited to be posting here. I was originally offered an unfunded MA in Comparative Literature, which I couldn't accept, but this week they offered me the whole shebang--Ph.D. and Max Kade Fellowship in Germanic Studies! Five years total support! It's a dream come true, so I'm very, very excited. During the application I did a LOT of research about Bloomington, considering IU was my top choice (I'm seriously still not sure I'm not dreaming right now). I'm really looking forward to a trip down there, but that probably won't be until late May or early June because my brother will be making the move with me, and he has to finish up his last semester of undergrad. 

I'm keeping a close eye at house/apartment options. I want something nice in a quiet neighborhood--I'd really rather not hear undergrad parties on the weekends, you know? I'm also looking for something away from the stadium for the same reason. I've actually been debating picking something in Ellettsville or something just outside of B-Ton, but reading here about the parking trouble is making me think again. I'm not surprised to find out the parking is terrible. I went to University of Rochester for my MA and it was the same issue . . . wound up parking a mile away from all my classes, if I was lucky! Plus I love to walk, so picking a place within three miles of the school would be great. 

Anyway, I'm so looking forward to the move and I hope to get in touch with others hopping on board this year!