So.... We're moving to Bloomington? Indiana University- Fall 2016

Phiner. Determination

59 minutes ago, slawson4 said:

Hello, future Hoosiers!!!

I'm so excited to be posting here. I was originally offered an unfunded MA in Comparative Literature, which I couldn't accept, but this week they offered me the whole shebang--Ph.D. and Max Kade Fellowship in Germanic Studies! Five years total support! It's a dream come true, so I'm very, very excited. During the application I did a LOT of research about Bloomington, considering IU was my top choice (I'm seriously still not sure I'm not dreaming right now). I'm really looking forward to a trip down there, but that probably won't be until late May or early June because my brother will be making the move with me, and he has to finish up his last semester of undergrad. 

I'm keeping a close eye at house/apartment options. I want something nice in a quiet neighborhood--I'd really rather not hear undergrad parties on the weekends, you know? I'm also looking for something away from the stadium for the same reason. I've actually been debating picking something in Ellettsville or something just outside of B-Ton, but reading here about the parking trouble is making me think again. I'm not surprised to find out the parking is terrible. I went to University of Rochester for my MA and it was the same issue . . . wound up parking a mile away from all my classes, if I was lucky! Plus I love to walk, so picking a place within three miles of the school would be great. 

Anyway, I'm so looking forward to the move and I hope to get in touch with others hopping on board this year!

Welcome and congratulations! I'm renting from meadow creek which is south of the university. Hardly any undergrads. Quiet. (From all the reviews and people I talk to). Prices are a little higher but it's on a bus line to school. Check them out! I recommend talking to Rebeca. She was helpful!

2 hours ago, PhDinPublicHealthHopeful said:

Welcome and congratulations! I'm renting from meadow creek which is south of the university. Hardly any undergrads. Quiet. (From all the reviews and people I talk to). Prices are a little higher but it's on a bus line to school. Check them out! I recommend talking to Rebeca. She was helpful!

Thank you! I definitely will make sure I take a look at it when I go down. That's actually a really good price point for me, and I like the amenities. I haven't seen it pop up on any of my (numerous) searches so I really appreciate the pointer! 

17 hours ago, hahaha1234 said:

I'm from LA!. What about you? I have not seen snow for years and really don't know how to prepare for the cold 

I was in your shoes ... err flipflops when I moved from LA to Btown. Make sure you have good shoes (Converse won't suffice, I tried), an exterior waterproof thin (or thick) jacket, and dress in layers. Also, buy 2-3 tights to wear under jeans or dress pants; scarf and a few stylish beanies. Be prepared for all kinds of weathers, from Wizard of Oz-like windstorms and thunderstorms to random humid heat spells. 

I'm from Upstate New York (you might have seen us in the news . . . Snowvember 2014? That was us). I don't know about Bloomington winters, but from my experiences with Buffalo winters, yes, definitely good shoes that aren't made of fabric (Ugg Boots are NOT winter boots no matter what anyone tells you). Make sure they have treads in case the ground gets slippery! I've always preferred a nice light blouse with a sweater or jacket for my fall/winter gear, that way if it's hot indoors you're not sweltering because you're dressed for snow. Most of my wardrobe is year-round because of the layering technique. :) 

If you have a car, it's good to have a snowbrush/ice scraper for those early mornings when there's ice on your windshield. Again, I don't know how cold B-Ton gets in the winters, but always better safe than sorry. 

2 hours ago, LeventeL said:

I was in your shoes ... err flipflops when I moved from LA to Btown. Make sure you have good shoes (Converse won't suffice, I tried), an exterior waterproof thin (or thick) jacket, and dress in layers. Also, buy 2-3 tights to wear under jeans or dress pants; scarf and a few stylish beanies. Be prepared for all kinds of weathers, from Wizard of Oz-like windstorms and thunderstorms to random humid heat spells. 

Thanks! Are there any things you hoped someone else would have told you before you moved to Btown? I don't even know if it's possible to walk in the snow and how much heat costs :(

The city takes good care of the roads during the winter season. Snowplows clear the streets as early as 5:30am, however if you're coming from Cali make sure you trade in your low-profile tires for all-season. Even with clear roads, your car will encounter ice and when it does you need friction to stop safely. All you have to do is look at the writing on your tires to know what type they are. Also, you will need an ice scrapper, which you can buy for less than $10 in town. 

I have two suggestions regarding the winter. First, make sure you have warm clothing by early November because you will wake up one morning with two inches of snow and no warning. You can find places to buy clothes in town. I shopped at Kohls because I have a card+purchase points. Theres also Target, thrift stores, and little momma-papa shops all over the town. Second, buy a portable $15-30 room heater

Finally, if you're near the beach make sure you enjoy while you can. I was a huge Venice beach bum, and oh, do I miss it.

56 minutes ago, hahaha1234 said:

Thanks! Are there any things you hoped someone else would have told you before you moved to Btown? I don't even know if it's possible to walk in the snow and how much heat costs :(

Believe me, it's definitely possible to walk in the snow! I've been doing it my whole life. ;) It's just wise to give yourself a little more time to get where you're going. It's great for your calves! lol

Edited by slawson4

1 hour ago, PhDinPublicHealthHopeful said:

@LeventeL Are there places in town to buy winter wear, like the tights and shoes?

@slawson4

I haven't been in Bloomington yet, but considering up here I can get everything I need at places like JCPenney, I'm pretty sure you won't have trouble.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Found out this week I'll be moving to Bloomington from CA! Car or no car? Should I pack all my stuff and truck it or sell it and start fresh?

Plan to fly there the second week of July to find a place, any other recommendations than the ones found above?

Alternatively, is anyone looking for a roommate? Guy, late 20's, enjoys whisky and long walks on the beach... oh wait... 

Can't believe I'm doing this!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know anything about the English program and/or combined PhD in Cognitive Science there? I am looking at the school particularly for the latter option, which as far as I know is unique to this school. However, I've found the website a bit weird, and a lot cagier about information than some other schools I've looked at. Yet they are one of the top-rated English programs in the country, so they must be pretty good--any info would help.

Glad to hear that the city is so nice--I must admit, I was a bit leery of moving to the Midwest--no offense intended, but sea of red combined with months of subzero temperatures didn't seem worth it unless the school/city was amazing.

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 4:16 PM, bye-byeMoney said:

Found out this week I'll be moving to Bloomington from CA! Car or no car? Should I pack all my stuff and truck it or sell it and start fresh?

Plan to fly there the second week of July to find a place, any other recommendations than the ones found above?

Alternatively, is anyone looking for a roommate? Guy, late 20's, enjoys whisky and long walks on the beach... oh wait... 

Can't believe I'm doing this!!!

Congrats on the admission! You seem to have some major decisions to make regarding your belongings. :-) If you are a packrat like myself, you may want to have a heart-to-heart conversation about what you really need and what can live without.  A vehicle is great to have, but parking on campus is a nightmare. The city bus system is pretty efficient and reliable. I'm bringing a car because I am so far away from home. The apartments in Bloomington are nice. I found one decently priced and about a 15 minute walk from campus. It all depends on  what your  looking for. Also, if you want a roommate, individuals post listings on the classifieds section of One.Iu all the time. I wish you all the best as you fly to Bloomington! I am sure you will love it!