We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

And after a sucky week I've decided the best remedy would be a shower with my new rainfall shower head that I convinced myself I must have and could totally self install.  After 20 minutes in my shower I've discovered that the old shower head requires a wrench to be fully unscrewed.  Since when does a girls guide to modern life require a wrench?  Screwdrivers sure.  Do I have a wrench?  Nope.  Am I going to the store right now?  Nope.  Am I getting my rainfall shower?  Double nope.  *sigh* there's ice cream in the freezer..... 

42 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

And after a sucky week I've decided the best remedy would be a shower with my new rainfall shower head that I convinced myself I must have and could totally self install.  After 20 minutes in my shower I've discovered that the old shower head requires a wrench to be fully unscrewed.  Since when does a girls guide to modern life require a wrench?  Screwdrivers sure.  Do I have a wrench?  Nope.  Am I going to the store right now?  Nope.  Am I getting my rainfall shower?  Double nope.  *sigh* there's ice cream in the freezer..... 

Ahhh.... The joys of living with a man with 3 toolboxes.

42 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

Ahhh.... The joys of living with a man with 3 toolboxes.

Having toolboxes and knowing how to use all kinds of tools is something I require of my future husband lol.  

Oh!  And I was thinking more about my lighting issue and I realized part of what bugs me is I now have a back door.  Who knew rentals could have those?  So my paranoid self is thinking what if someone came in that way and I didn't hear them and couldn't see them?!  Now I need a bell, like one of those loud cowbells, to hang on the doorknob lol.  I think I'm just spending too much time in my new home and it's making me crazy lol.

Woohoo I made it to the US! Immigration was a breeze and the officer had a huge chat with me about Penn State and my degree and ended it by saying "Good luck future Dr. Hippyscientist".Aww yeah! 

Of course the first thing my father says is "I hope State College has places open on a Sunday because we need to go to Walmart for snacks!" He does make me chuckle. I'm pretty sure one of my first orders of moving will be to get a full toolkit because I'm gunna have to put together lots of furniture! 

@rhombusbombus I know! Hotel life for a week with my dad and then the student life starts again. Still in shock at how easy immigration was. I'm becoming reacquainted with all my favo(u)rite american food and drink today - chipotle, yeungling, ice tea, goldfish...the list goes on! Diet starts as soon as I move into the apartment though.

State College people - anyone found a good pizza place yet?

1 hour ago, hippyscientist said:

@rhombusbombus I know! Hotel life for a week with my dad and then the student life starts again. Still in shock at how easy immigration was. I'm becoming reacquainted with all my favo(u)rite american food and drink today - chipotle, yeungling, ice tea, goldfish...the list goes on! Diet starts as soon as I move into the apartment though.

State College people - anyone found a good pizza place yet?

Welcome to the states :D (at least on a more... permanent basis).

Went home this past weekend for a wedding and the homesickness hit me like a brick, OOF!

Thanks @Pink Fuzzy Bunny. I thought of you yesterday when I flew over Ithaca! Yeah the homesickness is not something I'm looking forward to.

Just found out about my schedule tomorrow on campus, needless to say if this is what induction is like I dread to think how chaotic the actual PhD is going to be!

Been lurking the past few months and don't think I posted in this thread before. I'm all settled in to my grad school city, my apartment is all set up/fully furnished, and I'm getting used to being the mom of a cute little puppy (and I mean *puppy*). Worried about how caring for a puppy will be with grad school, but many in my program have multiple dogs and cats, and of course, children! But I knew it would be a challenge, just need to get over this hump and hit my stride. Hopefully that happens by mid semester!

I see familiar and unfamiliar faces, hope everyone is well!

Edited by artsy16

Started the journey to Nashville with my dad this morning! We're in nowhere Virginia for the night, with 6 hours left to go. I drove part of the way, which was actually pretty fun! I can't wait to get to my new place, though. 

Yay for finally arriving, @hippyscientist! I too need a toolkit...gonna put together lots of furniture as well..

@MarineBluePsy- Sure a toolbox should be a requirement, but also get yourself a hammer, screwdriver, and wrench! Just the basics. Self-sufficiency is equally important! 

@hippyscientist Welcome to the neighborhood! No good pizza yet, we've been setting up the apartment and cooking meals here. We basically lived on coffee and Quest bars for the first few days. Now that we're mostly done unpacking, this next week will be for exploring food options downtown. Get in touch if you guys need anything, even if it's just an escape from hotel life. :D 

@jlt646 haha if I need a break I might let you know! I can recommend Maki Yaki for asian food (literally all kinds of chinese, korean, japanese etc.) as we had takeout from there yesterday. I'm really looking forward to being able to cook, already fed up of take out and it's only day 2. 

5 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

WP_20160808_09_04_00_Pro

Thats so cute! Urg I really wish I could have a pet. Hopefully the move goes ok. My parents just left, they visit for the weekend. We weren't that great at hosting since we had no idea what to do around here ha. But I brought them to the museum I was interning at. Poor bf  got sick at the end of it. I also got to see the texas tech museum and I'm in love. Its so beautiful, I'll need two weeks to soak it all in! I know what classes I'm taking but I can't register, I don't have the "permits" so they have to do it for me. So thats annoying.

On 3/25/2016 at 6:41 PM, MarineBluePsy said:

Anyone else majorly stalling on telling the important people in their lives that they'll be heading on the grad school journey?  I think I've mostly spent the last few weeks in serious denial that I'm actually going somewhere.

Wow, that's some major stalling, since it's like mid-August :P

Also @sjoh197 your cat is literally the most beautiful cat I've ever seen. 

51 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

AHHHHHHH!!!! I can't tell anyone in real life yet but bf was offered a job!!!!

My boyfriend almost died when he got his awesome job offer, because I was on a wilderness hike in the grand canyon and had no cell service... so he couldn't tell me. Lol. Keeping it pent up is hard 

1 minute ago, sjoh197 said:

My boyfriend almost died when he got his awesome job offer, because I was on a wilderness hike in the grand canyon and had no cell service... so he couldn't tell me. Lol. Keeping it pent up is hard 

lol that sounds like something that would happen to us. Its a tentative job offer so he doesn't want people to know until its an official offer. But its a background check and filling out paperwork. Its 3 hours away so we will be long distance boo. But we will be able to visit each other a lot/over weekends.

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny He's going to be working in a government office that deals with soil and making sure farmers have the right permits, the soil is still good, etc. It will give him an idea whether he would like to be in the office side of things or be part of the soil technician side. Its what he wants and the benefits/lifestyle will be great. Money is ok but we live a low cost lifestyle! We are super excited. Thanks!

Headed to my apartment on Wednesday! I'm excited but also overwhelmed by all that still needs to be done. I have about a half dozen orientations to go to, and I'm having trouble with some forms that need to be filled out beforehand. I feel like I shouldn't be having so much trouble with the stuff before grad school even starts..