Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

3 hours ago, adragonisnoslave said:

Can I ask why you're doing that instead of trying for second match? If Indiana fills up I'm probably gonna try for second match unless there's a reason not to...

@adragonisnoslave I still plan on trying the second match, but I don't have a lot of hope for it.

On the wait list for Bay Path. Really hoping some people are using it as a fall back and spots will open up once people get off wait lists at their top choice schools. So stressful! Good luck to everyone!

2 minutes ago, GCFaith92 said:

@caitob congratulations, i'm hoping I can get an offer there as well! @GCeastcoast I am accepted to Bay Path but if Jefferson or Rutgers give me an offer I am declining and hopefully I will know soon! Is Bay Path your top choice?

Sending you good vibes to get into Rutgers so there's less competition in the Jefferson waitlist ;).

Edited by minja134

8 minutes ago, WBGC said:

There is definitely still hope for people on waitlists! I got off two waitlists already and have to deny 3 offers today so shift WILL happen. Good luck!!!!!

Where'd you end up choosing?

15 minutes ago, GCFaith92 said:

@caitob congratulations, i'm hoping I can get an offer there as well! @GCeastcoast I am accepted to Bay Path but if Jefferson or Rutgers give me an offer I am declining and hopefully I will know soon! Is Bay Path your top choice?

@GCFaith92 I just got the email acceptance from Bay Path! Hoping it was because you got into where ever you were hoping to! Sending all the good vibes to everyone!

1 minute ago, Gadgette said:

@Gorays39, congrats!!! 

On a selfish note, I can't remember, what was your status with Pitt and VCU?

I was on a high waitlist at Pitt and a low waitlist at VCU. I called Pitt to say I won't need my waitlist spot anymore, so hopefully that moves you up the list if I was ahead of you!

Hi everyone!

Congratulations on everyone who got accepted for this Fall 2017 cycle, I was just wondering what your cGPA was just to give myself an idea of what to aim for when I apply for Fall 2018. Thanks guys and best of luck to those on the waitlist!!

11 minutes ago, Joey0817 said:

Hi everyone!

Congratulations on everyone who got accepted for this Fall 2017 cycle, I was just wondering what your cGPA was just to give myself an idea of what to aim for when I apply for Fall 2018. Thanks guys and best of luck to those on the waitlist!!

I honestly think it depends on the application as a whole. I have a really high GPA (above a 3.9) and got rejected everywhere except for one waitlist... I think it's hard to say but they definitely appreciate a 3.6 and above if I had to guess. 

Good luck applying! Not to scare you off but it's grueling and rewarding at the same time

Edited by Elisheva

6 minutes ago, Elisheva said:

I honestly think it depends on the application as a whole. I have a really high GPA (above a 3.9) and got rejected everywhere except for one waitlist... I think it's hard to say but they definitely appreciate a 3.6 and above if I had to guess.

@Joey0817

I agree - they definitely take your whole application into consideration, not just GPA. My GPA was not very strong in my first 2 years of undergrad - that came up at several of my interviews and the interviewers mentioned that they noticed I improved my grades in my 3rd and 4th years.

Most programs post a minimum GPA required to apply, and may also expect a certain grade in related courses (e.g. genetics, biochem, statistics). Some of the programs only look at your GPA from your 2 most recent years in school. Try checking the admission guidelines for the programs you are interested in. 

Edited by Cricket643

@Joey0817 I encourage you to check out the results tab, if you go back many pages in it under "genetic counseling" you will see where people were getting interviews. The red diamond if you highlight it, will give you the GRE scores and GPA of the students if they input that info! 

2 minutes ago, Gadgette said:

@Joey0817, experience counts for a lot. I applied to 7 programs, interviewed at 3, and am currently waitlisted at all 3. I have a sub-3.0 GPA for undergrad, but have extensive disability related experience. 

How much experience would you consider extensive? I currently have 8 months of distressline experience and women advocacy (supporting women with unexpected pregnancies and some social work), I do plan on continuing this indefinitely though

4 minutes ago, Joey0817 said:

How much experience would you consider extensive? I currently have 8 months of distressline experience and women advocacy (supporting women with unexpected pregnancies and some social work), I do plan on continuing this indefinitely though

That's great! They will like that a lot but I assume they're looking for some science experience as well. Do you have any research experience? Or anything medical related? Have you shadowed any Genetic Counselors? All these aspects combined are what make you a strong applicant. Also, have you taken your GRE's yet? I'm not sure they matter a whole lot depending on your GPA and on the rest of your application but they're definitely a factor. 

Edited by Elisheva

@Joey0817, I've worked full time for a county run developmental disabilities program for nearly 3 years. Before that, I worked full time doing direct care. My supervisor is incredibly supportive, so I have most of the individuals with genetic conditions. A big part of my job is to deliver information to people so they can understand it and make their own informed decisions. I also deal with insurance, primarily Medicaid, all the time. So my experience really mirrors a lot of elements of genetic counseling. I do have a background in biology as well.